Author Topic: Mini starter  (Read 2826 times)

nivvy

Re: Mini starter
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2007 - 07:56:37 AM »
Definatley... the more torque a starter puts out the more bucks you'll pay!

My engine builder has a 499 stroker like me but has the indy 440-1 top end and makes 850HP and uses a chyrlser mini starter!

compression has a lot to do with as well and I believe those crate hemis are around 10.5-1 I think! I see no problems at all NZ!

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2007 - 08:44:03 AM »

Thanks for the second nod ( :grinyes: ) to the mini starter question StrOkEr. :2thumbs:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2007 - 09:36:56 AM »
MP was dead on with that mini starter. I use them on everything. I have never had to buy a replacement for any I own or install. Some are turning 12.5:1 big blocks and are 10 years old. I slo dont use the cheaper ones. I get only MPs. I dont want to ever replace one...lol.

Offline PlumCraZRT

• My Challenger's Crappy Website
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2007 - 03:43:25 AM »
MP was dead on with that mini starter. I use them on everything. I have never had to buy a replacement for any I own or install. Some are turning 12.5:1 big blocks and are 10 years old. I slo dont use the cheaper ones. I get only MPs. I dont want to ever replace one...lol.

Chances are all those starters are made in the same factory.  Not a whole lot to a starter...
mmmmm.... Mopar.... *drool*

Offline Dave-R

• Challenger Message Board
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2007 - 11:29:26 AM »
I think they got them from Mitsubushi when Chrysler took them over.

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2007 - 04:50:12 AM »
They are made by Nippondenso.

If you think the starter is nice, you should try one of their mini alternators. Lighter, better output and still looks like an original Mopar type unit.  http://www.arengineering.com/alternatorbracket/ND_bracket/denso.html

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2007 - 12:45:26 PM »
Chances are all those starters are made in the same factory.  Not a whole lot to a starter...

Buy one of each, and look closely. They are NOT the same as an MP. And I do know of several that failed in less than a summer, which up here is 5 months or so of running time on weekends. However, the MP are the same as the factory installed new ones (NDenso) in Rams and stuff. So junkyard ones are just as good if they are low mileage.

Offline Dave-R

• Challenger Message Board
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2007 - 02:24:37 AM »
There is actually two different sizes of mini starter out there. Some are just an inch or so longer than the MP one.

Offline Hot_Rodder

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2007 - 04:46:59 AM »
Just my .02 cents worth, I went the most certain more expensive way, called up Summit Racing (while mad at the factory starter...) and ordered up a Powermaster XS torque.... No problems turning over the ol 440 then.... It is rated up to something like 18:1 motors, yeah I know over kill, but hey, when it turned that 440 over, before the motor fired up, it looked like it was running already, lol.