Author Topic: Poll: Maximum HP/T For 100% Street Driven Cars?  (Read 5729 times)

nivvy

Re: Poll: Maximum HP/T For 100% Street Driven Cars?
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2007 - 08:51:57 AM »
This Topic is way outtaline and needs to be started over as we good debate this for a long time!

I really think what NZ was looking for was "Useable" Naturally Aspirated HP! And 1000RWHP cars on the Street is Ridiculous to even call them streetable! How much of that power are you going to get to the ground! Lets not start racing dyno's or I'll just build a Supra!
600HP in the 60's is the same as 600HP today on the street...Im sure there are a lot of people here who have 500HP cars with regular tires on them that when you hit the gas the a$$ end just blows out on ya! so what the heck is 1000RWHP gonna do for ya!
 other than saying I have 1000RWHP!
just my .02 thats all!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007 - 08:59:16 AM by StrOkEr »

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2007 - 09:07:05 AM »

It's not out of line, much. :clueless: My first post was pretty clear, good usable hp for a street. A car you can use to it's full 100% potential on the street. What you said is clear too, "Uesable" power. More often that not 850hp+ is nothing but bragging rights in street driven cars IMO. You need to be at the track to make the most of that power, on the street you have a better chance doing triple somersaults on a hockey rink.
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline gkring

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2007 - 09:17:07 AM »
Key  words "100% street driven"
My test would be if you would give the keys to a significant other or  someone similar without having to give a 10 minute lesson on how to drive the car. Above 500 flywheel HP you really have to start changing the suspension to be able to use the power and that compromises ride quality. we also don't want exploding clutches, broken ujoints, twisted axles, blow convertors, etc. when we are out on weekend cruises. If it's not a car you would just jump in and drive cross country in I would not be trying to pass it off as a 100% street driven car. I voted 600 as the absolute max for what you are describing.
is this in reference to the building of the 71? if so you do realize a 572 hemi, or hemi of any size is really overkill for a street car? That's what makes it fun, however. I drove a 499 stroker fuel injected triple black 71 cuda as my only car for about 4 years back in the early 90's. Now I'm a little smarter and make a little more money and have learned to have an over the top toy and a reliable daily driver I do not modify. if I can get to making alot more money I would  have a racecar, an over the top toy, and the daily driver.

Greg
70 challenger vert
70 barracuda
Greg
1970 Challenger convertible-in process
1970 Barracuda driver

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2007 - 09:28:39 AM »
I have seen some of these 1000 plus rwhp cars, and I know that a few of them are driven daily on the street, and hook up very well, with stock suspension, and are running 8's in the quarter mile. I live by a saying "man who says it cannot be done should not interupt man doing it" this is so true. There are many people who say that you can't have a "daily driver" that makes over 1000 hp and gets good milaege and is reliable, but I have seen it, many times.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline EVIL72

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2007 - 09:55:06 AM »
 As soon as your car is able to spin the tires your really not using it's 100% potential. So type and width of tires, suspension setup all come into play, as well as how it will be driven.
 N/Z how is your 440 to drive? How much horsepower does it have?, and how much traction do you loose when you stomp on it? How about your Cuda with the built 340? Didn't it have some killer W2 heads on it? How much horsepower did it have and how was it to drive when you had it together? (just horsepower wise, not type of fuel, size of cam etc)
 That should give you an idea of how much more power you really want or need on the street in your car.
 Then build a motor that will run a regular unleaded, idle fine and not over heat in traffic and your good to go.
 Good luck with it.

ROB
1972 Dodge Challenger 340ci
1970 Pro Street Duster (Under Construction)

nivvy

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2007 - 10:50:35 AM »
Anyone whos says 1000RWHP is streetable needs to get off the @#$%^!!!! why arent any of the cars at the pump gas drags or drag week where you have to drive your car 30 miles or more on 93 octane without overheating etc... I can bring a camaro out that has working brake lights and turn signal that runs 7.90's...I guess that car is streetable to since all the lights work  :woohoo:

I think we all just have different ideas of what "streetable" is....

Offline KellysCuda aircard

• Its good to be blown
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2007 - 11:04:34 AM »
I drive mine daily, its close to 800 hp, runs on pump gas (and lots of it ), doesnt overheat even on the hottest days (which there is not many of), It does not get any traction on the street and most cars can take me from light to light due to traction issues, BUT I get more thumbs up on any given day than I ever have with all my other cars put together, and so loud that car alarms go off when I idle by, I have parked right beside the police at the doughnut shop and have never been bothered , even without a hood.
It takes a little bit of planing to build a driver with tons of power, but its done all the time. 3.55 gears, tighter torque convertor, lolwer lift on the cam, less spring pressure on valves, stainless rockers, and a cam that has all the power in by 6 grand will all contribute to a more street friendly ride with a little more longevity than a full race ride. I am thinking about a 250 shot of nitro just to get me the the 1000 hp mark, ya for sure I am gonna do that. :aarg:

nivvy

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2007 - 11:27:30 AM »
More than racing my car or anything those thumbs up always rock  :2thumbs: I also love sitting at a light and everyone is staring and pointing at your car!!!!

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2007 - 12:31:08 PM »

I have also seen cars with big hp on the street (850hp+) but it's not really the question. It's really hard to read into peoples "driven daily" comments. Basically anything is hard over the net, I've seen comments basically like: "Yah. Just converted my car to manual, took 8 minutes, would have been quicker but I was cooking dinner". ::) :lol:

It's not about how much horsepower you can make and still drive it on the street, heck, the worlds fastest street legal car is in the UK and makes over 2,200hp!?!? He drives it, but definitely not a daily driver. The question is what do you think is good hp for traction, daily driving and using it to it's 100% full potential on the street.

Evil: Lucy is nice with the 440, it's very mild/stock but I can still spin 275's from a standstill without brake stalling. I just stomp on the gas and and shes squeals for more but still grips and moves forward at a good rate of knots. She doesn't burnout unless it's on demand. The 'Cuda sounded awesome and drove nice but my auto trans was slipping. When it's restored it'll have an extra pedal. The 'Cuda had around 360hp (solid). I think it was more but that is a solid no BS figure. I didn't get a chance to give it a good launch.

So, please remember it's not about what hp you can make street-able, it's about real world driving.

:2thumbs:

Offline willhaven

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2007 - 04:54:21 PM »
Hah, I love that car.

It's awesome when he talks about it being "completely perverse." :roflsmiley:

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2007 - 06:58:48 PM »
Sorry, but I guess I missed the point in the opening question. I thought it was the absolute maximun useable HP for a streetable apllication?  I still stand by my first response because saying that 500 or more is too much because it makes the tires spin too much is wide open to interpretation.  Heck, I've seen 200 HP cars with small tires and a manual tranny fry the back tires.  I've also seen 1000 rwhp cars make mid 9 second passes on 10 DR's with little or no wheelspin.  These cars are driven on a regular basis. I am not sure a consensus can ever be reached on this one...    :grinno:   I used to daily drive a 68 Hemi Runner with over 600 HP back in the early '80's.  It would rip the rear tires off the back end, but what a blast to drive....    :burnout:   
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2007 - 07:28:48 PM »

Oldschool: 1000rwhp!? That's miles too much IMO. How can you fully use this hp ON STHE STREET to it's full potential? you could only put your foot down for a few seconds in the straightest of streets,

I guess it's not so much the hp but usable hp on the street. How often can you open up a 850hp+ car? Be honest here people. Oldschool: I'd be curious to so how much you drive your beast and do you consider that a daily driver. I myself wouldn't but for all I know you could drive it 2-3 times a week! :icon16:

NZ,

I only drive the BEAST on weekends to car shows and cruise ins.    :grinyes:   It is (up to this point at least) 100% street driven, pump gas car.  I have never put it on the 1/4 mile track.  I know what it will run through documentation from the builder and previous owner.  I am in the metro Atlanta (Georgia) area and there aren't many places you can open up a 300 HP ( let alone a 900 HP) car on the street for more than a few seconds because of traffic and congestion.  So when it comes to prolonged application of the throttle around here, it doesn't matter if you have 300 or 900, there is no place to stay in the gas for very long.  I guess the wide open spaces in New Zealand beckon the throttle.  There are many places like that in the USA, I just don't live near many of them.  So, most of us just give short bursts of throttle anyway in order to make a point.  In that situation 800 trumps 500 every time.....    :burnout:   :ylsuper:   :cheers:   :cooldancing: 
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2007 - 08:14:52 PM »

Neat. :thumbsup:

Offline cudabuyer

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2007 - 05:12:09 AM »
plywood box with padding to smooth the faux leather "looking" vinyl

after painting the T/A black fiberglass hood yellow, placing the hood back on the car, noticed major paint mismatch, repainted hood, took off fenders & repainted now the doors back do not match

will be repainting from the doors back now - duuuuhhhhh

prior to repaint   :working:

sorry for being off the topic, as soon as the car is done i'll get back to the 100% streetable hp topic, but i am sure the rebuilt 37 year tranny will not hold up to the 710 hp dyno hemi,  as soon as Passon Performance gets there back log of stronger gear the 833 will be upgraded to 2007

:burnout:
70 Dodge Challenger Convertible 6.1 Hemi

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2007 - 09:28:52 AM »

Looks great mate! :clapping: No worries about going off topic, I unknowingly do it all the time.  :biggrin: