Author Topic: Poll: Maximum HP/T For 100% Street Driven Cars?  (Read 5733 times)

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
Poll: Maximum HP/T For 100% Street Driven Cars?
« on: May 11, 2007 - 10:19:57 AM »

What do you guys think is a the absolute maximum for a streetable hp amount? Engines I know differ, no one I know would run a 340ci 750hp engine daily, so I'm guessing this engine is aimed for the Hemis or 440ci engines? Basically, if you saw a car built for daily/weekly driving and it had, say, 800hp, would you think to yourself overkill? These are daily/weekly 100% street driven cars that won't see the track (maybe once for ET sake).

I'm not talking about cars that sit in the garage with 850hp and come out twice a month.
1-2 times a week minimum. Please vote for what you think, not what you're running currently.

This is a car you can use and enjoy to it's full potential so please vote accordingly. Oh, and no "Rambos" either: "I'd drive 950hp! more the better!!!!" and off the computer world your car sits for weeks on end. LOL.

:thumbsup:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
Re: Poll: Maximum HP/T For 100% Street Driven Cars?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007 - 08:16:03 PM »
There is no maximum HP for the street.  It all depends on what you want.  If the car has 1000 rwhp but runs cool, what's the problem?  I have SEVERAL friends here in my area with over 1000 rwhp in their cars and they are driven regularly.   Not daily drivers, but driven on a regular basis.  These are either blown, twin turbo'd, or a combination of blower/spray or turbo/spray.  They pretty much look and drive like stock cars, until you hit it.  They do have more breakage than most of us would put up with, but they also flog the crap out of them. Not being Rambo here, but if the car runs cool and can be driven regularly without constant maintanence, it could be as much as you want.  High HP is fun if you use it wisely.  My 0.02 is there is no magic HP number where it is suddenly too much.  If the package can handle the power and you drive it with respect, too much is just enough.......     :burnout:   :cooldancing: 
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

nivvy

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007 - 08:19:16 PM »
I think what NZ should have put is All Motor street driven cars....Big Difference!

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007 - 08:21:10 PM »
I think what NZ should have put is All Motor street driven cars....Big Difference!

Huge difference.....   But it doesn't matter HOW you get the power when it comes time to play, HP is HP however you arrive at it....     :cheers:   
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007 - 08:31:26 PM »
Oldschool did a good job saying how I feel about it. There is no such thing as too much to me....as long as it doesnt overheat or break after a couple blocks. Also, there is a big difference between high hp naturally aspirated vs. force induction. Nitrous and cubic inches are also a big part of the equation. If strokers are allowed, then I dont think a 500+ engine with a couple hundred shot of nitrous as radical and feel it would be fine for driving.
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007 - 08:37:27 PM »
I have seen 1200 hp corvettes get 20 mpg, I have also seen 1700 hp twin turbo vipers that are driven regularly. The real question should be how much do you want to spend, because the more money who can spend the more power and torque you can make reliably.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007 - 10:54:06 PM »

Oldschool: 1000rwhp!? That's miles too much IMO. How can you fully use this hp ON STHE STREET to it's full potential? You'd have to run big tubs, roll cage so it's not something I'd class as a true daily driver. It would be a skipping bouncing mess around corners with big wheels and you could only put your foot down for a few seconds in the straightest of streets, not a true daily driven car IMO. I guess I should have reworded myself better, it's not so much the hp fact it's how you can use it on the street. :)

I guess it's not so much the hp but usable hp on the street. How often can you open up a 850hp+ car? Be honest here people. Oldschool: I'd be curious to so how much you drive your beast and do you consider that a daily driver. I myself wouldn't but for all I know you could drive it 2-3 times a week! :icon16:

When I say drive, I mean out for 30 minutes minimum. Not just a drive to say it's "street legal". You guys are kind of going off track a little. I'm not saying when the  hp gets to be "TOO MUCH" just when you think it's overkill for a street driven car. What I was trying to say and thought I did a decent effort of is, when it becomes to much for traction, usability, friendliness, maintenance.

So, the question is, when is the hp become over usable for a real driving car.
The more stock the better, no tubs, roll bars and aftermarket stuff that sticks out straight away. :popcorn:

« Last Edit: May 11, 2007 - 10:55:37 PM by NZ440R/T »

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007 - 11:12:36 PM »
I voted for 600hp. You did not say rwhp so I assumed at the flywheel. With 600 you would get probably at least 450 to the rear wheels and to me that is a very nice number for a daily driver.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007 - 11:18:26 PM »

Yupe, the figures are what most people refer to, the fly wheel. I should have put that, my bad.
But If I don't see the "rw" part myself, I know it's @ the fly.

I voted for 600hp myself. It's easier to get most of that power to the ground, still an impressive figure and would probably leave a lot of higher hp cars for dead on the street stop light simply for getting to the ground and keeping at WOT 100% of the time without lifting for burning the rears, getting a little sideways etc etc.

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007 - 11:31:14 PM »

Yupe, the figures are what most people refer to, the fly wheel. I should have put that, my bad.
But If I don't see the "rw" part myself, I know it's @ the fly.

I voted for 600hp myself. It's easier to get most of that power to the ground, still an impressive figure and would probably leave a lot of higher hp cars for dead on the street stop light simply for getting to the ground and keeping at WOT 100% of the time without lifting for burning the rears, getting a little sideways etc etc.

I agree with that for sure. Back when I had a few mods into my '99 neon R/T (I know its not fast) I was doing stop light action and came upon a nasty sounding big block chevelle. Well I revved for the hell of it because if I lose no big deal anyway. He takes the bait and when the light turned green I was at the next light while he was still trying to get his tires to hook up. Now I know that car would humiliate me at the track but I did not have time to tell him that because he would not look over at me and turned off instead of going again  :roflsmiley: I had a good laugh about that one for weeks.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline cudabuyer

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2007 - 04:31:32 AM »
the hemi challenger convertible is 710 dyno hp is yet to hit the pavement, update from custom-musclecars.com is the trunk is complete - 10" rockford fosgate subs, 2 Boston Acoustics Amps, hidden tool compartment on driver side, hidden battery compartment on passenger side

Infinity 6.5 speakers in rear back seat panels; exhaust is complete, custom console at upholster shop as well as kick panels for front speakers

alignment completed, hopefully next Friday
70 Dodge Challenger Convertible 6.1 Hemi

Offline cudabuyer

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2007 - 04:33:10 AM »
sorry about the size of the pics, these were from the shop that i just downloaded, duh!!   :working:
70 Dodge Challenger Convertible 6.1 Hemi

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2007 - 05:36:02 AM »

Keep us posted Cudabuyer! Looks great. I remember you yourself posting that it maybe too much for a street car, you said you'd live with it but it wasn't the hp you were after. If I remember you wanted something more street-able.

Tim Banning engine, correct?

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2007 - 08:31:10 AM »
First off, I'd say 550-650hp would be a reasonable range for street cars that are naturally-aspirated.  As OC, formally known as OS, has stated, twin-turbo'ed powered vehicles can easily go in excess of those numbers and still be driven daily and get decent mileage.  However, as you've mentioned a rear-wheel drive car with TT's are usually hard to get much traction past a certain point. (Granted, I've seen several Stealth R/T TT's with AWD pulling impressive numbers.)

Secondly, Cudabuyer, the Challenger is coming along nicely and I love the way you setup the trunk.  That should sound great!  I want to do a similar setup in mine, but rather keep the subs in a removable box for those times I want to shed a little extra weight. :thumbsup:
Just one quick question:  What did you use to make the interior panels for the trunk?  I'd assume some sort of plywood, but did you glaze over it with fiberglass and then some bondo to get a smooth backing for the vinyl or leather it was wrapped in?

Sorry for going a little off-topic with your poll Carl. :misbehaving:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2007 - 08:51:07 AM »

Sorry for going a little off-topic with your poll Carl. :misbehaving:

No worries at all. :2thumbs: From looking at his photo I'd say it's plywood box with vinyl covering.