Author Topic: Had front end checked out on the Cuda  (Read 1773 times)

Offline matt63

Had front end checked out on the Cuda
« on: May 12, 2007 - 09:03:12 AM »
The Cuda drover straight although it seemed a little loose especially if there were ruts in the pavement.  Surely they must drive better than this I thought. I'm not real good with front steering components so I took it to the local independent muffler/mechanical shop for an inspection.  They have done exhaust systems on my last 2 Mopars and seem to like doing work on the old stuff.  They had an unrestored '63? vette ragtop and a Warlock in the shop.  Apparently the front end is in good shape as it only needs upper bushings and upper ball joints.  It does need a new steering box though.  I won't have an estimate 'til Tuesday.  I did run out and order the p/s box myself as I get good mechs wholesale prices.  It was in stock in the city.   I am quite excited about getting the work done and improving the driving experience.  I was thinking about having the driver's seat restuffed to make it taller and firmer.  Perhaps I've been driving Eurpoean cars too long!
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
Re: Had front end checked out on the Cuda
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007 - 09:41:55 AM »
If you want it to drive better you had better start with a rebuilt Firm feel box from Firmfeel.com , I would also recommend going with tubular upper control arms as well to get more positive caster, this will make the car handle much better. You may also want to check to see if their fast ratio steering arms will fit with your headers. It won't handle as well as your european cars when done but it should be much closer. You will be disappointed with stock components based on what you have just said.
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Offline KellysCuda aircard

• Its good to be blown
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007 - 10:48:20 AM »
 :iagree:  I used the firm feel stage 2 box, and just recieved the upper pipe brace from XV motor sports, I hope it helps cause they arent a very nice driver in general. What did help tremendously was the narrow front tires, it made a night and day differance in driving.

Offline matt63

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007 - 11:15:25 AM »
I'm not expecting BMW feel or handling.  I don't think any amount of money is going to get me to modern car standards.  I just want it to drive like it did when it was new.  I thought that the 245 front tires might help?    The short wheel base won't help the ride either. 
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007 - 11:44:30 PM »
The 245's on the front feel real nice on mine.  :thumbsup:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007 - 05:00:43 AM »
Ok, I'll help. Bring it over my house and I will Supply the parts and install them, even a good original pwr steering box for 288.00. but I dont have a front end machine yet. :2thumbs:

labor 50 a side
parts 30 a side
grease 3.00
box and install 125.00   :2thumbs:

Offline KellysCuda aircard

• Its good to be blown
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007 - 09:20:42 AM »
Ok, I'll help. Bring it over my house and I will Supply the parts and install them, even a good original pwr steering box for 288.00. but I dont have a front end machine yet. :2thumbs:

labor 50 a side
parts 30 a side
grease 3.00
box and install 125.00   :2thumbs:
LOL, and 2000 in gas to get there

Offline Robb

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007 - 11:53:10 AM »
I have the firm feel #2 box, and just yesterday put on the Fast Ratio idler and pitman arms.     Its better than stock, still not like a modern sportscar.  I would not hesitate now, to go to a #3 Firm Feel box.   

FWIW, the Fast Ratio idler arm (optional according to FF)  just barely clears the exhaust tube ( I have 2.5 TTI tubes, and factory HP manifolds)  im talking Millimeters.   Its because of the Grease nipple though.  If a recessed nipple is used then you get all that nipple clearance back.   

A taller seat just cramps your legs against the steering wheel more.  (ask anyone with a 6 way seat)   :bigsmile:

70 Challenger SE  (440 SIX PACK / Keisler 5 speed, R/T SE replication)       68 Sport Satellite Convertible 383 Super Commando / 727  Survivor

2002 Trans AM WS6 convertible:  DD
1999 4Runner 4x4:  lifted-locked-armored  expedition vehicle
1990 Jeep XJ 4x4:  Front Dana 60, GM-14bolt rear, 3 link, 4link, 5.38 detroits, beadlocked 40's, stretched to 110" wb  Rock Crawler

Offline matt63

Update
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007 - 04:15:07 PM »
I took the old box out myself.  There were some cuss words as I struggled getting it out the bottom and eventually went out the top after removing the battery and tray.  This is the way to go with TTI's anyway.  I might have thrown a tool or two but I'm afraid that they will bounce off the walls in my garage and seriously injure myself as the garage is quite small.  I still remember the local golfer who killed him self when his putter broke, bounced back and severed a major artery.   :eek4:After laying under the car for awhile I noticed that the tie-rod ends and upper control arm bumpers look like hell so I'll get the everything replaced including the lower control arm bushings which are supposedly good.  I dropped the seat off at the upholsters so I'll see that next week.  The front end shop says he usually makes sure there is some positive caster so that is good to here.  I should get it into the shop late next week.
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant

Offline matt63

Help Requested
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007 - 06:51:14 PM »
Finally got the front end parts and and alignment.  I didn't have the power steering pump belt on cuss the power steering hose leaked badly (it's only got 200 miles on it!).  Got the new hose and belt on and now the steering wheel immediately turns all the way to the right when you start the engine.  I had the steering box valve body off because I had swapped it with the old box when trying to get the leaking stopped.  How does this get re-adjusted now?

ps cars seems to drive quite abit nicer but it's strong arm right now so...  Everyone at the shop seemed to be pretty wowed by the car.
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2007 - 02:59:53 PM »
you need to loosen th e2 bolts on the vlve on top of the steering box & tap the valve up or down on the steering box until it stays centered

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline matt63

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007 - 10:42:50 AM »
Done!  Thanks CP. If my steering wheel is still off by 5 degrees or so is it still adjusted in the same fashion or is there another way to remedy this?
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007 - 12:35:50 AM »
shorten 1 tie rod & lengthen the other by the same amount to center the wheel

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline matt63

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007 - 08:21:24 AM »
Thanks CP.  I thought it would be easier!  The young kid down the block has the problem with his Cuda.  I think the front end is shot anyway.
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant