Author Topic: I think I found a new way to remove rust from cars  (Read 2444 times)

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
I think I found a new way to remove rust from cars
« on: May 13, 2007 - 03:41:06 PM »
I was talking to the sales rep from a company called Evapo Rust last week. They sell this really cool rust remover that is safe on your skin, biodegradable, and is realatively cheap. He told me that when the Military tanks come back from Iraq, they submerge big parts of the tank in a giant vat of their stuff they sell to them. I asked where they do that but he didn't know. so I asked him if anyone does this and he told me there is someone in Michigan that does it. He couldn't recall his name at the time as he was on the road from a trip.
He said that this guy has an irrigation system that sprays it throughout the vehicle in all areas for 18 hours. It is in a recirculating system that catches what drains off, is filtered and continually keeps spraying onto the body. The results are that all rust is removed even in the nooks and crannys without removing any sealing material. Whats the good reason for using it is that it doesn't have any negative reaction with primers and paints unlike other types of body paint cleaners and strippers. It doesn't remove the factory sealers either. Your metal is kept natural, no possible warpage from blasting. When you do paint your car, sand won't return and find its way onto your new paint. Make sure paint is removed first.

Considering all the possible options of preparing a car to be primered, this sounds like so far the most logical choice I have heard yet. He said also that after the rust removal process is over, you spray the car with a metal cleaner mixed with water and dry it down with clean dry air. Then he said they have this stuff that is a rust inhibitor spray for metal. Spray that on after cleaning and it'll give you enough time to primer before the rust flash begins. He said the inhibitor will give you plenty of time to primer.
The conversation ended that he told me that Auto Zone currently carries it and Advance Auto will shortly.

I think it should be relatively easy to make a system in the backyard with plastic to do this. 20 or 30 gallons should do it.   :feedback:
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007 - 05:07:01 PM by Topcat »
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Re: I think I found a new way to remove rust from cars
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007 - 03:55:41 PM »
is it Evapo-Rust?  I have purchased the 32oz bottles from Auto Zone before... does work...quite pricey

link http://www.evaporust.com/evaporust.html
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007 - 04:00:12 PM by bullitt99 »
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007 - 04:55:38 PM »
Here it is:

http://www.evapo-rust.com/

somehow I thought it was called Rust Away.

getting old. lol
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007 - 02:56:21 AM »
I bought a bottle of that a few months ago. It does work, but I have only used it on small parts.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Kapteenikosmos

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007 - 03:46:08 AM »
Well, they say it doesn't contain any acid (or was it dangerous acid?) but it sure looks like mild citric acid concentration which is totally harmless to your skin and biodegradable (citric acid is the same stuff as in lemon). Citric acid is used as a medicine in farm industry for pigs who are suffering from diarrhea (I bought 5kg bucket of 100% citric acid powder from farm shop). I have used it on metal parts and it works the same way like the stuff they are promoting. Heavily rusted items needed overnight treatment and slight rust was gone in an hour.

1967 six banger Mustang
1973 Challenger (under restoration)
1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (daily driver)

Offline EVIL72

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007 - 06:14:00 AM »
 Sounds interesting, so if I have rust bubbles I just put this stuff on it, and when it's done working there will probably be a hole in the metal, but the rust, including the bubbles will be gone?
ROB
1972 Dodge Challenger 340ci
1970 Pro Street Duster (Under Construction)

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007 - 06:22:20 AM »
Sounds interesting, so if I have rust bubbles I just put this stuff on it, and when it's done working there will probably be a hole in the metal, but the rust, including the bubbles will be gone?
have to strip paint etc. first....This stuff would be good for surface rust, doubt would be sufficient for what you are describing, would not need considerable more work.
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007 - 07:30:02 AM »
I've used it before on some heavily rusted metal parts and it removed it all without any problem.

It works on aluminum too. I found out about this stuff last year and I put a carburetor in it and it came out looking great. no pics of it right now. See if I can find some of back then.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007 - 09:15:34 PM »
before and after
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007 - 09:17:55 PM »
Looking GOOD !!!

Offline matt63

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2007 - 09:33:38 PM »
I looked at the MSDS sheet but it gave no info on what the product is made of as it appears not to be hazardous.
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2007 - 10:24:54 PM »

It will take any rust out period. Then use their rust inhibitor if you don't have any quick plans to paint.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline EVIL72

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2007 - 06:11:17 AM »
 Thanks Topcat, I may give this stuff a try.
ROB
1972 Dodge Challenger 340ci
1970 Pro Street Duster (Under Construction)

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2007 - 07:17:52 AM »
I looked at the MSDS sheet but it gave no info on what the product is made of as it appears not to be hazardous.

If you recall or saw it, a thread I once posted that mollasses was used to remove rust. So it might be either citric acid or mollasses related. But thats just a guess.
Mike, Fremont, CA.