Author Topic: Bye Bye Chrysler ?  (Read 1662 times)

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
Re: Bye Bye Chrysler ?
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2007 - 10:16:08 AM »
Could be a bad thing. These guys will be focused on only one thing: Making the company profitable. That means that they won't stick their neck out for new projects unless they know they will succeed. First thing they'll probably do is cut jobs and close plants. Then focus on the cars that are the most successful and making the most money. They're not "Car guys" they're "Bean counters",

:iagree: completely. Equity firms are in it for the profit (not a bad thing) and usually for the short term. Although the UAW released a press notice that they were happy with this transaction, Gettelfinger had been fighting it all along, and had previously said that if anyone bought Chrysler they wanted it to be Magna, so I don't expect that the new owners will have the best relationship with the UAW.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline matt63

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2007 - 10:58:11 AM »
If they are going to come in and give Chrysler a "facelift" so they can flip it I think that the Challenger may be in trouble.  It could be that the Challenger isn't a money maker and only intended to get people into the showroom.  On the other hand, if the r&d money is mostly spent already then they might as well keep going.  Who knows?

Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2007 - 10:25:07 PM »
If they drop the Challenger it would be a large mistake. Look at Ford, about the only car or truck they are selling is the Mustang. I still believe if they build the Challenger they will sell. If they need to scale back they could do it to the Mag and Charger as I don't see them as a great sucess in sales.  :2cents:

Totally wrong , if you look at last years #s the Taurus which is not advertised & was terminated outsold the stangs But the Chall could generate enough interest to at least get people into the showrooms which ultimatly is the name of the game

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline cudabuyer

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2007 - 04:57:05 AM »
jeryst is totally correct with the statement:  they come in cut jobs and close plants, make it attractive & sell for a profit

time will tell if it is good for us
70 Dodge Challenger Convertible 6.1 Hemi

Offline chrisII

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2007 - 05:52:03 AM »
would we prefer that they close outdated ineficent plants , and cut overpaid union jobs or just keep on loosing money or making marginal profit?  it doesnt take a rocket scientest to see that the company could easly end up parted out if things dont turn around. nobody wants to see anyone loose there jobs here but the fact may be if some dont now all will later.
   I HOPE that daimler was chryslers AMF, they made a bunch of junk since 98. quality almost imidiately tanked when daimler took over. ive heard from many DC employees that the systems and proceses involved in the operation have still not ben straightned out since the take over..
   With a little bit of luck this takeover will get things going the right way and then ceberus might buy up freightliner too? as a dodge guy , and a truck mechanic I have tryed to embrace freightliner, another daimler company. the company i work for has a bunch of brand new freightliners and i would have to say that I view these trucks as pathetic! we have noumerous trucks with major glitches. the highest mileage truck we have is around 30k (in 2 months) . if i put things together the way the factory has i wouldnt have a job.after my freightliner experence im gladd to know my precious chrysler is no longer to be a part of that