Author Topic: XV Chassis Stiffening - Video shows how Mopars flex...  (Read 8624 times)

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
Re: XV Chassis Stiffening - Video shows how Mopars flex...
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2007 - 05:22:53 PM »

Sounds like it's giving you some grief John. Still, it's good to see you guys (like your other products) make sure you're happy before producing & shipping them to consumers. Other companies may have just cut the process short and "make do" just to finish & sell their product. Best of luck with it, I too am waiting on it but only ordered a month ago and was informed of the delay. Ps: Send me through "that" email when you get the chance John.

:cheers:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline DQHemi

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2007 - 06:01:35 PM »
Great Video John!  How many of the XV cars have you completed.  I'm hearing more and more folks are either considering and have purchased your components and the feedback is excellent.  Keep up the good work!  I really like what Bill Howell is doing!

Glad to hear it!  Bill's car is going to be one bad ride for sure!

Definitely more and more people are running our stuff and more and more of the pro builders as well.  I'm psyched we're getting so many new products out.  Lot's of these things help us huge on our builds and others.  We met with a builder from CA last wek who flew in for to visit us.  I showed them the new columns we did and they told me they had just used what was out there on a build and spent 9 hours making it fit.  Similar to what we experienced.  They are looking to use as much of our stuff as they can on all their Mopar builds.

We've been shuffling some of the builds around, there's a really badass 71 Challenger convert that will be rolling this weekend and delivered to the customer inthe next couple of weeks following.  68 Charger and a Coronet R/T are right behind it with both being 95% done.  Another car will be coming out of paint end of next week (70 Challenger) and another is ready for paint right after that (71 Cuda Convert).  From here on in we should be finishing a car a month and will work to get that number higher from a production standpoint.  We have quite a few builds lined up behind these as well.

On top of those we have another six customer cars we are doing varying types of conversions/installs on, four level II and two level I.  Some we are doing complete drivelines on, some paint and body, one complete interior, others seats, brakes on all of them, columns, fuelsystems, chassis stiffening, headers and exhaust on all as well and more.  As we roll out more and more products these type of projects and other who've bought Level II's want everything else.  Seat belt stuff we sold out on all of that and it looks like we're very close to having to order more tilt columns.

Here's a sneak pear at the 71 Challenger Convert that will be done in the next two weeks.  600 HP 6.1 HEMI, Viper Spec T-56 w/ tiple cone synchros, built 8-3/4 rear w/ true trac and 4.33's, first car with our console, first car with our billet hood hinges, Level II suspension, Level II brakes (6 piston 14"/2 piston 13"), EFI fuel system, stainless headers and 3" exhaust, custom medium blue metalic paint, custom all leather dark blue interior w/ Recaros, dark blue real wool carpet, navy blue cloth top, fully finished trunk, functional shaker hood in argent silver, three piece five spoke wheels in natural aluminum (18X10 and 18X12) w/ Michelin 275/35-18 in front and 335/30-18 out back, hydroboost, PW, A/C, Alpine stereo, custom gauges w/ 200 MPH speedo and more.  It will be a really spectacular car.

Wheels in this pic are not the one's that are going on it.

An E-body with cupholders!!!  Console was done to fit double-DIN stereo as well so can do touch screen, GPS or DVD.
Shifter cover plate is getting a stainless veneer.
Dash pad, seats and all interior panels are done in same leather as console.

These are the billet hood hinges we've done
John Buscema
XV Motorsports
www.xvmotorsports.com

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2007 - 08:59:47 PM »
Man, that Chally's gonna be so off da hook!

You gonna offer those hood hinges to the public?

I imagine you had to minitub the car to get those meats in there???

Did that involve frame mods?
'70 318-auto Chally 'vert
'71 383-auto 'Cuda 'vert (sold)
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2007 - 09:30:08 PM »
Here's a sneak pear at the 71 Challenger Convert that will be done in the next two weeks.  600 HP 6.1 HEMI, Viper Spec T-56 w/ tiple cone synchros, built 8-3/4 rear w/ true trac and 4.33's, first car with our console, first car with our billet hood hinges, Level II suspension, Level II brakes (6 piston 14"/2 piston 13"), EFI fuel system, stainless headers and 3" exhaust, custom medium blue metalic paint, custom all leather dark blue interior w/ Recaros, dark blue real wool carpet, navy blue cloth top, fully finished trunk, functional shaker hood in argent silver, three piece five spoke wheels in natural aluminum (18X10 and 18X12) w/ Michelin 275/35-18 in front and 335/30-18 out back, hydroboost, PW, A/C, Alpine stereo, custom gauges w/ 200 MPH speedo and more.  It will be a really spectacular car.

I don't get it  :clueless:  It's a cool car but....

seriously  :dunno:

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2007 - 09:42:29 PM »

What do you mean?  :clueless:

Nice work John, that will be one proud owner. :cheers:

Offline DQHemi

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2007 - 10:14:32 PM »
Man, that Chally's gonna be so off da hook!

You gonna offer those hood hinges to the public?

I imagine you had to minitub the car to get those meats in there???

Did that involve frame mods?

Yes, we will be selling the hinges, but we're still trying to get the price down on them.
They will be expensive pieces.  As soon as we get them made in quantity we already have several sets sold to builders.

No minitub and no frame mods!!  Our rear suspension creates lots of room for big rubber.  Just the fender lip gets rolled.  Front allows much bigger rubber as well than you can fit otherwise.  We were given a challenge on this build by the customer that required as much traction as we can get.  We'll probably standardize this tire size going forward.

John Buscema
XV Motorsports
www.xvmotorsports.com

Offline Andrew

• Resident
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2007 - 12:53:08 AM »
What do you mean?  :clueless:

I think what he means is, with all this new stuff - its just not a challenger anymore.

Dont get me wrong, I think its an amazing car - and Im sure the owner is going to be very happy with it, but it seems a bit strange to me to spend that much money replacing all of the old parts of this car, when you could simply go out and buy a new challenger (well not yet, but in the near future) with all the same bits, for far less.

I guess the best way of putting it is this:
Why buy an old house, completely gut it and replace everything - including exteror cladding, roof walls etc. when you can just build a new house, save yourself some money and get the same thing.

Offline DQHemi

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2007 - 05:57:11 AM »

Our tag line is: "Building Modern Supercars From Classic Musclecars". 
On the car side of our business that pretty much sums it up and what that convert and our other cars are built to be.

Many people today want the styling and looks of these cars, but they also want modern levels of performance, handling and reliability.  The cars we build on the outside look basically stock other than agressive wheels/tires and custom show quality paint.  On the interiors we try and keep them retro styled so they fit with the cars.  Everything else about the cars is designed to perform like a modern high performance car. 

For me a great car should be able to be used as a daily driver or on long trips and also be totally capable of being thrashed on a road race course and able to hold its own with anything but the most exotic.  Not a race car, but basically road race capable.  That is what I would expect from a really good modern car. 

On the flip side many people also want to get in the car, turn the key and have it fire right up, as well as the smooth power bands that modern EFI can deliver. 

Obviously this isn't for everyone, but we get lots of people in our showroom who look at the original stock restored cars we have, get all excited over them, but then look at our orange Challenger and after we walk them through it, that is what they really want.  Very often we get people who owned these cars back in the day, love them, want to recapture what they loved about them, but want no part of the driving experience a 35+ year old factory stock car offers.

There will always be a place for 100% correct, stock cars for many, many reasons.  However, there is definitely a market where people want modern levels of performance, handling and creature comforts.  Very often the people we are dealing with have factory correct cars, but want one like this as well that they can really drive and use.

The other thing a car like this offers is that you can pick whatever options you want and paint colors and don't have to worry at all about it not being correct or killing the value of the car.  Car gets built just the way you want it from top to bottom.

Something else that is a little less tangible, is that when we build a car everything about it is new and all works like you expect on a brand new car.  Makes a big difference in how the whole package feels and performs right down to the little details.  That is a major benefit of starting with a bare shell that has been dip stripped and building from there. 

Anyway, it's not for everyone and cars like that convert are big dollars.  For vehicles in this category of totally modernized muscle we've taken it to a level no one else has approached on any platform. 

To tie it back to the parts we sell, virtually all the parts we offer are driven by what's required to build cars like this.

I know everyone will not get it or even want it, but I hope you realize that there are a lot of people out there that this is exactly what they want and are looking for.  All the looks and timeless iconic style of these cars, but built to run with the best modern cars on the street or on the track (road race track).

If you haven't seen this bit of video, it might help a bit in putting it all in perspective:
http://www.xvmotorsports.com/media/XV001 on Track.wmv 

John Buscema
XV Motorsports
www.xvmotorsports.com

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2007 - 06:04:16 AM »
Some people just want the look of the old cars. Some only want the "shock and awe" effects of something done to that degree. There's an ass for every seat. Mopars didnt have a truely high end modification builder ever before. Xv has grabbed that market by the horns. While I'm a little more "old school" and "taxi cab" in my tastes, you can't help but be impressed by their end result.

Offline DQHemi

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2007 - 06:18:14 AM »
I think what he means is, with all this new stuff - its just not a challenger anymore.

Dont get me wrong, I think its an amazing car - and Im sure the owner is going to be very happy with it, but it seems a bit strange to me to spend that much money replacing all of the old parts of this car, when you could simply go out and buy a new challenger (well not yet, but in the near future) with all the same bits, for far less.

Why buy an old house, completely gut it and replace everything - including exteror cladding, roof walls etc. when you can just build a new house, save yourself some money and get the same thing.

A few thoughts for what its worth.  The new Challenger won't be built to specs like these or have show quality paint/body, custom interior, blueprinted motor or offer as many options.  You also can't buy a new cuda, roadrunner, Charger, GTX or Superbee, all of which we can offer - as well as convertibiles.  As strange as it may sound, the new car won't have as highly developed a suspension or brakes either. 

But you are right, you will be able to (if the new owners of Chrysler don't kill it) buy a brand new Challenger for a lot less money that is a modern car.  We'll likely build up the new Challengers as well when they happen, but they still won't have the style and look of the originals.  A very cool modern interpretation for sure, but not quite the same.

You mentioned that the car isn't a Dodge Challenger anymore.  You're right that it isn't a factory equipped car anymore, but no one will mistake it for anything other than a Challenger and part of our goal is for the recognition of it to be an 'XV Challenger'.  That tag line I mentioned in my last post, isn't just fluff, it's really what we set out to do in a very real way.  Next week we are meeting Car and Driver at the Chrysler proving grounds to do an article with them.  Not sure when it will run, but you'll be able to see what they have to say about how close we've gotten to that goal.

Here's an ad we run in a lot of magazines, like Dupont Registry, that we use for selling the cars we build.
It's a PDF about 1 MB - I don't have a smaller version handy.  You may want to download it to view it.

http://www.xvmotorsports.com/media/Wolf Advertisement.pdf
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007 - 06:36:28 AM by DQHemi »
John Buscema
XV Motorsports
www.xvmotorsports.com

Offline DQHemi

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2007 - 06:28:16 AM »
Some people just want the look of the old cars. Some only want the "shock and awe" effects of something done to that degree. There's an ass for every seat. Mopars didnt have a truely high end modification builder ever before. Xv has grabbed that market by the horns. While I'm a little more "old school" and "taxi cab" in my tastes, you can't help but be impressed by their end result.

Thanks Dave, I appreciate it, especially since you've seen our stuff first hand.

John Buscema
XV Motorsports
www.xvmotorsports.com

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2007 - 07:07:12 AM »
 :droolingbounce:

Man, are you sure?  335s w/o minitubbing! :clueless:  How come XV001 (orange CHally) is only running 295s?

That I'm gonna have to see to believe.  I was thinking 305 w/a 10.5" wheel was the biggest you can get under there where leaf springs aren't involved (I'm putting a 'vette C4 IRS in the back of mine).  Hmm....

I'm down on the hood hinges; let us know availability and $$$ as I was going to have my OEMs sent out for rebuilding.

I think it's incredibly awesome for outfits like XV to get us Mopar freaks almost the same availability of cool stuff like what the Camaro/Firebird folks have.  Spendy for sure, but cool for those who don't want OEM!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007 - 12:05:37 PM by ragtopchally »
'70 318-auto Chally 'vert
'71 383-auto 'Cuda 'vert (sold)
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2007 - 07:41:38 AM »
My my point of view is that XV has simply stepped into Mopars where people like Saleen and Baldwin-Motion have gone with other brands. It is definetly not for everyone, but it serves a nitch market that is willing to pay to play. Ultimatly we can all benefit because XV is driving the creation of new products that some of us would like to see and use without getting the typical "oh, we don't do mopars" that so many other vendors hit you with.

On one of my old houses (1900 old not 1970 old) I spent 230k on it to create a house worth 450k, so I wouldn't say it is the exact same as building an entirely new house in a new neighborhood. Like the old house conversion, classic styled, modern ammentity mopars aren't always about dumping buckets of money for no return. There is a market out there willing to pay for these. There always will be. Perhaps it will not always be the highest rate of return, but it will be there.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2007 - 04:08:40 PM »

Don't get me wrong, I think its an amazing car - and I'm sure the owner is going to be very happy with it, but it seems a bit strange to me to spend that much money replacing all of the old parts of this car, when you could simply go out and buy a new challenger (well not yet, but in the near future) with all the same bits, for far less.

Why buy an old house, completely gut it and replace everything - including exterior cladding, roof walls etc. when you can just build a new house, save yourself some money and get the same thing.

John pretty much covered everything. The original Challengers are always going to be classic, classy cars. The lines are totally different to the new 08 Challenger if you know what you're looking at. First glance they look pretty close but they're not. Even if they were Identical it's just not the same and those who know, know.

As for the parts, XV level two kit is pretty much a weld and leave for good job as-is the stiffening kit. The stiffening kit is always good to use with huge improvements and like the suspension kit is not an in your face item like wheels or modern seats. Both products can't be seen without looking really hard unless you're roadkill. As someone has mentioned the cars they build bar the 2 items above can be put back to stock within a weekend to a couple of weeks.

With your theory, why not buy a classic classy English castle or a exotic villa and fill it with some modern pieces like new wiring, central heating, movie cinema etc etc. The door swings both ways.

I like their work and think we should all be happy someone is out there doing these kits and spending time and money doing it properly. If you've seen the DVD these guys aren't rednecks in a barn, they have the top gear and guys to match getting stuck into our cars. If they did Chevs we'd probably all my sitting here crying about why no one is doing it for Mopars.

:2thumbs:

Offline jvike

• Pro-Touring Cuda
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2007 - 12:32:33 AM »
 :iagree:
Member of The Rapid Transit System