Author Topic: Who owned a new mopar way back when (golden oldie ?)  (Read 2171 times)

Offline 72Chall77Doba

• Bill's Mopars
    • My Car Domain Page
Who owned a new mopar way back when (golden oldie ?)
« on: May 15, 2007 - 08:57:51 PM »
Was wondering who amongst us owned a mopar muscle when they were brand new and what happened to that car?

Personally, my second new car was a 71 chally, (my first was a 69 firebird, ok ok no booing)
It was a 318, medium blue with a white vinyl top, white inside and the powered sunroof.
I kept it 6 years, then traded it in for a new 77 cordoba, blue starlight metallic, white top, white inside and a sunroof.

To me the strange/funny thing is that the 71 chally came with a powered sunroof, but the 77 chrysler- a more luxurious brand, came with a manual crank sunroof. Go figure.

Another thing is that I kept the firebird 2 years, the chally 6 years, but every person that remembers me always say they remember my orange firebird, never a mention of the chally.

BTW, my chally has been at the restores shop the last 2 months, and it's going from petty blue, blue int, blk vinyl top to plumb crazy, white int and white vinyl top.
I go see it every Monday, take some pics, and leave some money, lol.

The bad thing is the deeper they get into the resto, the more they find.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
Re: Who owned a new mopar way back when (golden oldie ?)
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007 - 09:40:59 PM »
My mom and step dad bought the one I have now back in 72. He was a really big guy and the seat was a 6 way. He trashed it so it didn't work right. I traded it for some black seats that I still have.

The car was Fugly then. Army metallic green paint with a green vinyl roof and a beige interior. Had the Ben Hur spoked hubcaps with white walls. I got it in 78 as a grad present.

I have a picture of it somewhere of it back then I need to find where it is.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007 - 09:48:40 PM »
My Grandad had a 52 Dodge Business Coupe, My dad had a 53 Plymouth 4dr. The were both big spenders and bougth the optional "heater". It was not standard equpt. so I've been told.  .... both were very fugly!  :faint: Not a whole lot of muscle but they were Mopar!  :scared:
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007 - 09:50:57 PM by BIGSHCLUNK »
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline carcrazyguy

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007 - 09:04:43 AM »
My parents bought a 71 Satellite new.  I was born in 72 and was brought home from the hospital in it!!   It was a dark green Satellite Sebring Plus and my parents kept it until the mid 80's.  I now own a twin car to the one my parents had back then. (pic below) :grinyes:   Plus my orange 71 Satellite Sebring Plus came from the same dealership where my parents bought their Satellite.    Also my Dad had a 70 Charger when I was really young.  When I was about 6-10 years old I used to sit on the console as we would cruise around town looking for other Mopars.  :lol:   My first car was when I was about 13-14 and I bought a 71 Dart Swinger with my paper route money.  Now I am redoing a 71 Dart Swinger.   Come to think of it....other than having a 70 Charger, I guess Dads place looks almost like it did back then with all the same basic Mopars sitting around.  :lol:

Offline DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

• Resident
  • Still My Inspiration..1971, Rockingham, Nc
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007 - 09:59:57 AM »
A 1970 Challenger 340 with bench seat , auto on the column. Paid about $3400 for it brand new.   Don't know where it is right now but last I heard was in upstate NC.  Pics attached and I still have the wife!!!! 

http://big-dog.us/challenger/images/Albums/12/scan0001.html
http://big-dog.us/challenger/images/Albums/12/scan0002.html
Dave or David

Offline ROMI

• 71 Challenger R/T 340 4 speed, Lapeer Michigan
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007 - 10:14:36 AM »
As a gift for getting accepted into college, my mom and dad bought me a 1971 Dodge Demon 340, exactly like the one in the sales brochure.  She worked at the Jefferson plant at the time and followed it through production.  Like an idiot, I sold the car to my girlfriend (now my wife) who sold it to someone in Tennessee.  I would give my left eye and my right hand for that car today.  I still have the window sticker and a bunch of pictures.

Offline carcrazyguy

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007 - 11:17:43 AM »
As a gift for getting accepted into college, my mom and dad bought me a 1971 Dodge Demon 340, exactly like the one in the sales brochure.  She worked at the Jefferson plant at the time and followed it through production.  Like an idiot, I sold the car to my girlfriend (now my wife) who sold it to someone in Tennessee.  I would give my left eye and my right hand for that car today.  I still have the window sticker and a bunch of pictures.

I like these posts.  :popcorn:   And for the 340 Demon pics?? :useless:

My first car that I could drive!! (after I got my D.L.) 340 Demon!   

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007 - 11:48:36 AM »
I bought a 73 Barracuda. 318-Slapstick. Gray with a black stripe. I had a few used Mopars before that. My favorite was a dark blue 68 Dart GTS 340 4-speed. Man that thing would haul. I put a vertical gate shifter in it, and it was awesome.

Offline ROMI

• 71 Challenger R/T 340 4 speed, Lapeer Michigan
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007 - 12:01:03 PM »
OK.........

Offline purple1

• Worlds first e-body trailer. Member since 3/10/05
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007 - 04:06:29 PM »
Being only 10 years old at the time, I was at the show room with my mom in 1974. I tried to get her to look at the cool red car on the show room floor. It was only a few hundred more than the dark green 6 banger Dart she was getting. That cool red car was a 340 Challenger. She got the Dart.  :(

Dave  :sadwavey:

Dave

Worlds first e-body trailer.    Severna Park, Maryland

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2007 - 04:27:27 PM »
Being only 10 years old at the time, I was at the show room with my mom in 1974. I tried to get her to look at the cool red car on the show room floor. It was only a few hundred more than the dark green 6 banger Dart she was getting. That cool red car was a 340 Challenger. She got the Dart.  :(

Dave  :sadwavey:

Don't you love the taste of our Mothers?   :pullinghair:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline purple1

• Worlds first e-body trailer. Member since 3/10/05
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2007 - 04:30:14 PM »

Don't you love the taste of our Mothers?   :pullinghair:

Dart had a/c and good on gas. It was 1974 after all...

I miss mom.  :walkaway:

Dave

Worlds first e-body trailer.    Severna Park, Maryland

Offline MJS73

• Mike's 1973 Challenger
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2007 - 06:01:24 PM »
Dad bought a Challenger T/A (Plum Crazy) brand new in '70 and kept it until '74.  Would love to know where that car is now.  The story goes that he sold it to "a Mopar collector".  It was Plum Crazy with white vinyl top and interior, originally bought at Mr. Norm's, as far as we can determine.

Mom had a '72 /6 Valiant Scamp around that time, also.  Grandfather (mom's dad) bought Valiants *and, later, Dusters) every few years going back to the early '60s (maybe the first Valiant).  He always got the three on the tree.

Mike
www.mikes73.com
Don't PM me - send me an e-mail at mjsavage2001@yahoo.com

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2007 - 06:11:45 PM »
Started with a 66 300, sold that ann bought a 65 satilite that was upgraded to a 440/4speed, traded that for a 66 GTO, had all three about a year each, then bought my first new car, the 74 'Cuda, sold it in 81 for 1,500 bucks!
I still have the vin, if I ever get my two projects done(& live that long) I'm going looking for it! Rich.

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2007 - 06:48:19 PM »
...my first new MOPAR....'73 CUDA 340-AT, I ordered the car with all options except the vinyl top and stripe, it even had AC...I was living in Taiwan and kept seeing a red '71 383 CUDA with a SHAKER and rubber bumpers and I wanted to order a car that looked as close to that one as I could, this was it....

...it was rear ended at 55 mph on the highway (drivers quarter) with only 79 miles on the odometer....repaired
...it was hit (drivers quarter) by a runaway shopping cart in Texas...repaired
...the roof was crushed by a tree during an ice storm...repaired and repainted a different color of red
...it was later hit head on, on the drivers side...repaired
...it was sideswiped (drivers side) 2 days later while sitting at the curb and repaired again
...it was slid backwards thru a barbed wire fence and repaired one more time
...it also went for a swim in 10 foot of water (alcohol was a major contributing factor), pulled out and saved again

...I traded it for a red 61 Vette with a blown engine

.......all this before 1976

...last time I saw the poor old CUDA (about 1978) it was rusted away, no quarters left, fenders were gone half way up and it was wearing a coat of primer gray paint....the interior had been gutted (rotten probably), but it still sounded good and healthy...

...this picture was taken within hours of delivery from the dealer, it still has dealer tags on it...it was even wrecked  the first time while still wearing the dealers tags :roflsmiley:
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007 - 06:55:11 PM by DAYTONA »