Author Topic: Oil change  (Read 3522 times)

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
Re: Oil change
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2007 - 07:16:59 PM »
Goody, I hope your daily driver is a roller lifter motor or you don't care about cam wear. Castrol GTX has an API rating of SM, the worst rating. I have a bottle here, it says "Unique Anti-Sludge Formula". That would translate into "We took all the good stuff out."

Yes its roller lifter. So whats the recommended 'daily driver' oil for a 2005 Ranger these days. 5w-20, seems like spark plugs, you get everyones personal opinion. Whats the latest/highest API rating now-a-days?  :wave:
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2007 - 07:56:52 PM »
Well, I'm not trying to be a pseudo-intelectual here and will gladly forward any information like I have posted links to. I don't do any research myself, don't have the knowledge to o that but I have the resources to search the researchers out.
 I have done some research on the subject since I heard Shell Rotella T was reducing the Zinc in thier product. It is what I use in flat tappet engines. I wouldn't recommend any of the flat tappet engines to be used with any of the oils with SM, SL, SH, or SJ API ratings. They are fspecificly for newer roller lifter engines with cats. They were finding that the zinc and phosphures (the essential lubricating properties for flats) were building up in the cat convertors and producing more emmisions so the EPA wanted them out.
Since the OEMs don't use ANY flat tappets in thier engines anymore, there was no need for that high of ZDDP in the oil. All the while some of us old car guys are still building and running "old school" lifters. I going to use roller lifters in my supercharged 408" just for this reason but I am still going to use a higher standard of oil like Quaker State Q Racing full synthetic. You should be good with your SM, SJ,SH, or SL oil in the Ranger BUT it would be wise not to use these in your 'cuda or ANY other flat tappet engine. The best bet for those ar CI-4 or CI-4+ oils like those good ole' diesel oils. BTW, I have heard but not confirmed Shell has not reduced the Zinc to a level that will be detrimental to flat tappets. Please read this HRM article for clarification http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/flat_tappet_cam_tech/index.html

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2007 - 11:59:57 PM »
I just lost a cam today, single valve spring, solid flat tappet cam using Rotella

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2007 - 04:28:28 AM »
Was it on break-in and were you usung GM EOS or equivilent?

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2007 - 10:58:23 AM »
"...Since the OEMs don't use ANY flat tappets in thier engines anymore"

you mean solid lifters or hydraulic/solid lifters or ???? all engines are roller lifters? Just wondering...
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2007 - 11:10:16 AM »
Solids. I would say most all newer engine platforms are roller by a lare margin.

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2007 - 11:24:43 AM »
On the Ranger from the motorcraft website:

SAE 5W-20 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil
XO-5W20-QSP (2.3L and 3.0L) or equivalent WSS-M2C930-A
SAE 5W-30 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil XO-5W30-QSP or equivalent WSS-M2C929-A
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2007 - 12:22:44 PM »
So goody should go with a synthetic and stay away from his castrol gtx?

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2007 - 12:28:18 PM »
That's what Ford is calling for, a synthetic blend or equivalent that has the ford specs listed. Most manufacturers like to throw in the "or equivalent" statement.  :stirpot:

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2007 - 12:36:50 PM »
Or "meets or exceeds". Exceding isn't always the best thing to do when the standard is crappy to begin with.

Offline djdmotorsports

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2007 - 01:48:54 PM »
Does anyone have a part number on this GM EOS stuff? i can probally get it dirrrrt cheap though work.
1966 Plymouth Valiant V200
1973 Plymouth Barraucda

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2007 - 02:18:12 PM »
GM Goodwrench parts counter. All the cam manufacturers either have thier own or recommend it for cam break-in.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2007 - 01:21:12 AM »
we had break in lube etc , no EOS though

Offline AMXguy

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2007 - 05:48:29 PM »
 The service manager at the local GM dealer says the warranty on high performance GM crate motors requires EOS on break in or warranty is void, I can't say that's true but he swears by it.  GM part # 1052367,  it's supposed to replace the zinc and other good stuff in higher levels than the old oils ever had.  I've used it for several years and no problems yet, use a whole bottle for break in and I run a half bottle with every oil change after .  even if it doesn't work it gives you a warm fuzzy feeling knowing it's in there.
1970 R/T SE Challenger
 1970 Superbee
 1969 S code Mach 1
 1967  GTO

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2007 - 10:05:04 PM »
Mopar has the same stuff in a different name , oil treatment or something