Author Topic: Oil change  (Read 3524 times)

Offline moper

• Resident
Re: Oil change
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2007 - 09:40:21 AM »
CP, did the lifters rotate when you installed them? I've had to play "musical lifters" a few times to ge tthem all to turn during assembly. Eventually you find one that runs for every bore.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2007 - 09:42:36 AM »
I did not build that engine , I was just firing it up to do the break in , set up ,tuning etc

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2007 - 06:59:10 PM »
As I have came to realize good ole' Rotella T has went soft on us by conforming to the EPA's desires to reduce Zinc in oils I chose not to pick it up at the parts store today. Instead I found Castrol Tection Extra. It is a true "Heavy Duty Diesel Oil". It's API rating is CI-4 Plus whereas the Rotella conformed to SM standards.
According to the HRM article I linked to earlier CI-4 is what you want for flat tappets.

Does anyone have info on Delo 400 oil? It is another Diesel oil that alot of guys run in flat tappet engines.

I looked for the HP1 Fram filter I had at the shop but it isn't there. I think one of my big block buddies snagged it. I don't think I am going to go buy one to cut it open if I'm never going to use one. Sorry B/RB guys.

Here is a pretty good discussion on the topic.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=247de5321d6b2b8d0cfcf4e91a34b33b&topic=25136.0
« Last Edit: May 26, 2007 - 07:27:38 PM by go-fish »