Author Topic: Newbie...sorry, I gotta ask.....  (Read 2283 times)

Offline grinder

Newbie...sorry, I gotta ask.....
« on: May 20, 2007 - 09:54:17 AM »
Sorry but I gotta ask a couple of probably stupid questions....I sold my midyear corvette and bought the car I always wanted...70 cuda with a 440 and edelbrock carb (800cfm).  Anyways, it starts and runs excellent - 300 miles on a rebuild (factory specs).  Bottom line is, I expected it to turn the tires from here to eternity - even with 3:23 rear end - found the car to be a lot less than what I expected i guess - won't turn the tires at all, dead stop, 30mph roll etc.  Timinig appear correct, compresion is ok - was I expecting too much with that rear end?  If not, where should I be looking next.....
thanks a million for any help at all...
"disappointed in Michigan". 

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
Re: Newbie...sorry, I gotta ask.....
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007 - 11:19:57 AM »
Two things come to mind right away. You don't have as much compression as you think and or the cam is too small or installed wrong.  Total guess of course but if something isn't broken or going away I would look there first

One thing you can do is get the Mopar Engine book.  It's a great reference to have and it gives you step by step instuctions on what packages work best for Mopar engines.  (It's cheap too)

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007 - 02:45:21 PM »
- won't turn the tires at all, dead stop, 30mph roll etc.  Timinig appear correct, compresion is ok - was I expecting too much with that rear end? 

It won't even spin the tires a little?  Even my stock 340 will do that with a 3.23 ratio....  :eek7:

When you hit the gas, how does it feel?  Does it bog at all?  :clueless:  I realize you said it runs excellent but still want to ask because if a 440 won't spin the tires something is amiss in my book.  With a 440 the only problem you should have is traction!!!

I guess if like 360cuda hit on, how's the cam?  Do you have the specs on the engine rebuild?  Post them here and maybe Chryco can chime in.
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007 - 03:12:50 PM »

Yupe, something is not right there. My 440ci is as mild as they come 400hp with headers/exhaust .030 stock everything and I can light the tires up from a standstill no brake just get in on it, no worries.

Perhaps carb problems? Too much air in the mix? What happens when you floor it from a roll on?
Does it struggle, pause, then slowly get up to speed or is it responsive?

:dunno:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007 - 03:22:24 PM »

Perhaps carb problems? Too much air in the mix? What happens when you floor it from a roll on?
Does it struggle, pause, then slowly get up to speed or is it responsive?

:dunno:

I was thinking that possibility too.  Do you think 800cfm is too much for a mild 440?  I wouldn't think so as factory 340 Thermoquads are 800cfm.  :dunno:  I dunno....
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007 - 03:56:49 PM »
Converter may be all wrong for the intake & cam , you might need a stall converter
 Where are you in Mi , I am here in Howell for 3 more days if you want to get togehter

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline grinder

Thanks to All - HEY CHRYCO
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007 - 04:52:17 PM »
....I am in Lapeer, cell tx is 248 770 4302.........I would appreciate ANY help.....
The motor is a '69 440...new pistons, valve job, bearing oil pump, camshaft, set to factory specs  - done at a Chev Dealer..... new Mopar performance elec igniton, Mopar exhaust manifolds, new Petronix wires......

I just don't know......the carb is new and I am wondering about that too.....running rich?   

mark 

Offline RDF

• The pain that greets me is the stick that beats me
Re: Thanks to All - HEY CHRYCO
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2007 - 06:39:41 PM »
- done at a Chev Dealer.....

That's the problem right there....  :smilielol:  :smilielol:

No really,  I'm interested in hearing this one....my 360 cuda is the same way.  The only way it will light up the tires is around a corner.....not from a stand-still or even a brake stand.  I would think I would be able to do atleast a brake stand, but nothing.  My carb is running really rich (burns the eyes when I get out just from me backing it into the garage), so I'm thinking it could be that (I hope).  At any rate, I hope you get it fixed and please post anything up here that has helped fix the problem.  :2thumbs:
Bob

1973 'Cuda

If we never drown we'll never know how well it tastes....So tell me how it tastes and I'll know just how well you drowned.

My build:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=45749.0

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007 - 12:48:58 AM »
will call on monday morning possibly as late as noon or so

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2007 - 01:46:29 AM »
Just to update this most of the problems were simple tuning & wrong parts issues
it performs 100% better now but there is a lot left in the car with more time to work things over
 I would start with jetting the carb to make SUre the plugs are coloring correctly & install a 1215 intake gasket to keep the intake cooler
 porting the heads & manifolds & as well as a cam swap & larger exhaust would make a huge difference as well

Offline Mopar God

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2007 - 02:51:17 AM »
Grinder,

I don't like 800's on a street car. I actually prefer the throttle response of a 650 or 700 on a street 440, but even an 800 will work on a stock 440. I used a 800 Thermo Quad once on a 8.50:1 cast crank (1977) 440 and it was a good performer.

I did see a 440 once that had a multi-keyway timing gear that was improperly aligned and the engine was a complete slug until the camshaft timing was reset.

I would ask any customer the following questions:

1. What is the initial timing and total timing @ 3000 rpm?

2. What are your cranking compression readings?

3. Has your camshaft timing been verified?

If I can assist you in any way, please feel free to email me...Robert

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2007 - 09:44:00 AM »
the 800 carb is very responsive, no issue there

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2007 - 09:33:16 AM »
I think it's more of an market issue now. There are a lot of guys just like him that buy cars that were builtt o sell. And the buyers may not be fully aware of what things should be like. I've found issues with cars the owners had no idea were problems. Just "thought that's how they were..." because they dont have the exposure to what "right" or "good" really can be. Sometimes it's the right pair of hands or butt in the seat that becomes the teacher..lol. No 440 Cuda should have any trouble spinning tires. Neither should a 360 car BTW. So start with basic mechanical knowledge, and work up from there.

Offline RDF

• The pain that greets me is the stick that beats me
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2007 - 10:43:32 AM »
I think it's more of an market issue now. There are a lot of guys just like him that buy cars that were builtt o sell. And the buyers may not be fully aware of what things should be like. I've found issues with cars the owners had no idea were problems. Just "thought that's how they were..." because they dont have the exposure to what "right" or "good" really can be. Sometimes it's the right pair of hands or butt in the seat that becomes the teacher..lol. No 440 Cuda should have any trouble spinning tires. Neither should a 360 car BTW. So start with basic mechanical knowledge, and work up from there.

:iagree:

That's kinda how I know my car isn't "tuned" right or something.....I've just been out of the business (mechanically) for 10+ years now (computer programmer since), so I forgot alot, but know enough to know that something isn't right with my motor (360).
Bob

1973 'Cuda

If we never drown we'll never know how well it tastes....So tell me how it tastes and I'll know just how well you drowned.

My build:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=45749.0