Author Topic: Poll: G-Machine/Custom Or Stock Build?  (Read 2325 times)

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
Poll: G-Machine/Custom Or Stock Build?
« on: May 21, 2007 - 11:37:14 PM »

The options are short & sweet, like my Nana lol. What do you prefer given the option? A G-Machine/custom car build like "Sik-Fish", 18"+ wheels, modern suspension and interior upgrades, OR, stock appearing build, 15" wheels, BFGs, stock interior with some nice modern hidden touches etc. What do you prefer?

I'm trying to decide myself but am also curious as to what you guys like. I'm liking the G-Machines but I also like the cop rims/rallye wheel image, just screams muscle to me. I'm not a big fan on aftermarket seats etc although done properly can be pulled off nicely. So, what kind of build do you prefer? The stock in case people start getting technical isn't a 101% factory correct car, just a stock "appearing" build, nothing too flamboyant.

:working:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Andrew

• Resident
Re: Poll: G-Machine/Custom Or Stock Build?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007 - 02:20:45 AM »
I put 'stock', as I prefer the slightly modified/road warrior look. ie light mods like headers, exhaust etc, but still original paint and the like.

Offline cudabuyer

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007 - 04:42:29 AM »
best of both is stock appearing on the outside with all new mechanicals, suspension, etc inside & under the car
70 Dodge Challenger Convertible 6.1 Hemi

Offline OzCuda

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007 - 05:45:42 AM »
Definately mostly stock - any trends are usually just that and will date a car that should always look a classic.  Fluffy dice, shag pile carpet and body kits are just a few of motorings previous must-haves as a case in point :dunno:
'70 Barracuda

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007 - 05:58:45 AM »
ALL G MACHINE...ALL DAY!!  I like them both,but the ricers suck. I need the G team. :bigsmile:
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline Grundy

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007 - 07:34:19 AM »
best of both is stock appearing on the outside with all new mechanicals, suspension, etc inside & under the car

:iagree:

It looks stock, but it performs like a modern car.
Drive it like you stole it.

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007 - 09:03:12 AM »
Do what you want but you already have a stock appearing one so why not do the G thing?

With that in mind try to stay away from huge aftermarket K-frames that hang down and look like they should be holding up the shelves at the WalMart.

(and forget anything that has pinto spindles because they suck)

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007 - 09:45:45 AM »
I like stock lines and close to stock stance. But  that being said, my '70 (426 hemi 4sp/dana clone)will have the triangulated 4 link and someone's front suspension kit with good discs on all 4 wheels and decent wheels/tires. I want to drive the car. Hard. And be secure doing it. I dont like the Foose'd up look, but if you want good performance brakes, you gotta have the wheels and tires too. But I'll do it with the facotry interior, no AC, a good radio, and factory shaker setup.

Offline dwbiggs

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007 - 11:14:53 AM »

This is what I leaned toward.  I kept it looking stock in/out accept for wheels and motor.  Set up suspension for handling.  Of course all of this was based on what I could afford.

1974 Challenger Rallye - 440+.040, 0 decked, 10.5:1, Ross Pistons, Hughes 3844 cam (238/244, .536/.540), Eddy RPM manifold, Eddy aluminum heads, Holley 750, TTI headers, .96" T-bars, IAS shocks, 1 1/8" front sway bar, 3/4" rear sway bar, XHD 6 leaf springs, Firm Feel stage 2 steering box.

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007 - 01:38:37 PM »
Stupid question.

Offline Blackcuda

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007 - 02:26:55 PM »
G-Machine all the way! All though my cars only consist of wheel and tire packages, I plan on putting monster 4 wheel disc brakes and new K frames. There is nothing like having a old muscle car out handle a new car.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007 - 03:49:45 PM »

Stupid question.

WTF? >:(

Pete: True I see what you mean with having Lucy but I have a "turning car" in the Ford Falcon, modern big arse disc brakes nimble and powerful so no matter what I did to the 'Cuda XV level 2 or not it still wouldn't be as good a car around a circuit as my Ford. So that's a big bonus, having too stock appearing cars with some modern touches would be cool too.

Intersting to see the custom/G-Machine cars are out in front.........

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007 - 04:01:08 PM »
I don't mean to single out the XV guys in that.  It just seems to me all of the new stuff coming out have these huge cradles hanging down and stuff sticking out all over.  I thought making Street Rods was about smoothing out like tucking up the exhaust and hiding the wiring ect.

The smoother the better when it comes to customs IMO

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2007 - 04:08:08 PM »
I like stock.  In the minority again.  Oh well.   :walkaway:

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2007 - 04:11:28 PM »

I agree Pete, if I did use XV or something like that I would have it powdercoated black which would help dramatically. Some guys like it showing though, some have gone (so say XV) so far as to polish the parts under the car.

I'm probably going to do the 71 'Cuda like Lucy. Stock looking but tickled up in mostly hidden areas. Like the interior is stock except the Harms pistol grip and CD player. When I say stock for this poll I basically mean stock, just not to an anal 100% trailer queen level. 100% street driven cars that are better than factory. ;) (which is not hard)