Author Topic: Ozcuda's 70 Barracuda  (Read 14014 times)

Offline OzCuda

Re: Ozcuda's 70 Barracuda - now with progress!!
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2007 - 04:39:08 AM »
Oh, also had real trouble with the repro front valance/beaver panel.  Once fitted there was no way without major work that it would accept the plastic fill panel.  Brackets were different lengths and had a 30+ degree slope on the front edge instead of level.  Ended up having to resurrect the original panel.  So this means that I had problems with all three reproduction panels used on this car - the bootlid had been shipped from the factory with a dodgey repair and the rear valance/beaver with exhaust cutouts didn't line up with the vertical support brackets; moral of the story - keep your original panels where you can.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007 - 04:39:06 AM by OzCuda »
'70 Barracuda

Offline PasiR

« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2007 - 08:32:13 AM »
Hi Oz. Nice colour  :thumbsup:

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2007 - 11:25:36 AM »
I love the pic fresh out of the stripper.
It has a sort of "Terminator under construction" look about it

Your car is gonna be awesome!!!

Offline OzCuda

« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2007 - 05:15:40 AM »
Barracuda has been home for nearly a month now and progress is painfully slow - I've had the flu for nearly the whole time and its too cold and dark to work on the car after work.  Nonetheless, I've amused myself by fitting some of the externals to make it look a little more complete which is very pleasing to the eye :bigshades:.  Everything has needed work to fit properly and I screwed up yesterday by chipping the paint around the trunk lock - stupid mistake which will hopefully be covered by the lock gasket (which I didn't really want to be visible :misbehaving:) but I never expected two pack paint to chip so easily or so much.  Covered the chips in clear as I don't have colour touch up at home so hopefully won't be an entry point for corrosion. Tight garage doesn't help either.  :banghead: :bricks1: 
'70 Barracuda

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Re: Ozcuda's 70 Barracuda
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2007 - 07:12:19 AM »
She's looking awesome OZ.  :droolingbounce: .. Should have a little paint leftover at the shop that painted the car.
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline OzCuda

« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2007 - 07:57:48 AM »
Well, at an average of 3 to 4 parts bolted on each weekend, I should be finished anytime in the next decade  :lol:

Anyway, been conentrating on the engine over the last couple of weekends and it is starting to come together.
'70 Barracuda

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2007 - 11:24:00 AM »
Looking sweet Oz :grinyes: My buddy at work always seems to find a way to use the phrase "Steady wins the race" and I wanna smack him every time I hear it :poopoke: but he's 6'5" and would probably twist me into a pretzel, however that phrase seems to describe your process pretty well. It's all good man :thumbsup:
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=27173.0
Member since December 13, 2002

Offline OzCuda

« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2007 - 09:08:43 AM »
Well, have been making some headway even though the car doesn't look too much different from the last time I posted.  On the engine most things are now bolted down with all the pulleys aligned, accelerator brackets and cable (off the 318) in place (still have to lengthen the kickdown rod), radiator and water hoses in and fuel lines mostly sorted.  Hood and boot latches are in place and adjusted and the hood pins are on.  Front loom, headlights, grill and bumper went on today so starting to look like a car.  Firewall, dash, steering column and brakes are next although when I have the time I want to get the car in to have the exhaust built.  Some problem areas from the cars previous hit to the front with bumper a bit curved, grill a little out of shape and the spacing around the grill being a little poor for a $20k job (don't they check these things?).  Two Pack paint is still causing grief with with paint just seeming to chip off when it feels like it and makes horrible cracking sound whenever you bolt something down, paint is shiny but acrylic would have been so much easier to live with - car is going to have to really be handled with kid gloves once finished and all the little cracks under bolts are sure to be corrosion weak spots.  Nonetheless. something quite satisfying about building your own car (when you aren't screaming with frustation!).
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007 - 09:13:48 AM by OzCuda »
'70 Barracuda

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2007 - 09:52:22 AM »
Beautiful car!

This photo at the beginning of the post intrigues me. I know that the grill is not in, but having the front totally black makes it kind of look like a Charger, and I think the effect is really cool.

No intention to hijack the thread but I wonder if there is a way to actually do this?

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2007 - 04:03:39 PM »
Car looks grea, OzCuda!  :thumbsup:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2007 - 06:43:54 PM »
You are making me really regret giving that old FJ5 'Cuda away. Awesome attention to detail man!  :droolingbounce:
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline ksierens

• 70 Challenger Resurrection
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2007 - 06:47:15 PM »
Wow, it's really coming along, great work!
1970 Triple Black Challenger R/T  440 Six Pack - 4 Speed - 3.55 Dana
Kurt - SE Michigan

Offline OzCuda

« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2007 - 07:51:58 AM »
More progress pics - more of the engine bay done and firewall started.  Also been fitting all the exhaust hangers - goes in tomorrow for new stainless exhaust system with NOS tips :2thumbs:
'70 Barracuda

Offline urgewalt

• ... Frankie says ... no more ...
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2007 - 11:38:39 PM »
Hi,

nice car and good work - RESPECT !
Cheers

Alex
... Frankie says ... no more ...

I tryed the red pill ...

Offline hooD

• detroit iron
  • Resident
  • Motor City Made Muscle
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2007 - 12:10:24 AM »
Looking great!  Keep the pics coming with your progress!  Beautiful  :grinyes: color  :grinyes: on your cuda.  Do you plan on adding black stripes on the side and blacking out the rear tail light deck?  Just curious.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007 - 12:15:54 AM by hooD »
-Larry
member since AUG 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvrWiLgDm7Y

southeastern michigan usa

1973 'CUDA 340

original owner
37,117 miles

:grinyes: *click my E-Body* :grinyes: