Author Topic: Restore or replace A/C system?  (Read 4287 times)

Offline AMXguy

Restore or replace A/C system?
« on: May 23, 2007 - 05:54:19 PM »
 My '70 Challenger is a factory A/C car but eveything from under the hood is in a box. would I be best off to restore the old system or replace it with something like a Classic air modern system? I don't know if my hoses leak or not and I can't find new ones anywhere so I'm on the fence as to what to do. my car is very original but not concours original, I take originality into considerstion but I'd rather have a new system that works than an old one that doesn't. anyone been here before or have an opinion?
1970 R/T SE Challenger
 1970 Superbee
 1969 S code Mach 1
 1967  GTO

Offline cudabuyer

Re: Restore or replace A/C system?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007 - 04:33:14 AM »
classic auto air    http://www.classicair.com/
70 Dodge Challenger Convertible 6.1 Hemi

Offline buzzard

• Why is their AIR
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007 - 07:14:04 AM »
Keep it original, take your old hoses to a small a/c shop and have them re-done with nylon barrier hose. put a new seal in the compressor, replace the drier . Replace the tex valve if needed. If youreplace the oil with POA you can run 134A refrigerant [12% less capacity] or leave the mineral oil and run R12 or MP39 refrigerant.

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007 - 04:17:46 PM »
You will spend a FORTUNE at Classic Air - mind you, but it's good stuff.  They'll custom fit anything for anything.  Just pricey - WOOWEE pricee...

Jeff
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline EvilTwinATX

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007 - 04:27:48 PM »
I am rebuilding the A/C box myself and putting all new components using a Sanden Compressor under the hood. After all is said and done it will be much less expensive that using a Classic Air Kit.....

Offline Mopar73340

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007 - 06:28:18 PM »
I would restore the origingal system except to convert to a sanden compressor. I've done both of mine this way. The classic auto is a generic system and dosen't look anywhere near correct. You can still get the dryer and condenser new and the hoses can be updated by any a/c shop. Just my  :2cents:
73-Challenger 340 727/GearVendors Auto
73-Challenger 408 Pistol-Grip 5-speed

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007 - 07:49:30 PM »
been there, done that. Unless your going for an all original restoration or otherwise think your car would be devalued by putting current technology components in, I would go with the Sanden setup. I bought my polished Sanden pump for $125 off of Ebay. I bought the VintageAire hose kit (includes dryer)for around $100, found a new Tru-Flow 26" condensor for around $40. I manufactured the brackets to mount the pump myself, bought the expansion valve and compressor clutch thermostat from old air products here: http://www.oldairproducts.com/shop/index.php

I rebuilt the factory heat/air box and replaced the vacuum controller. Am very happy with the finished product and it all looks original inside. I was very impressed with the perfromance of R34 and how little drag there is on the engine while the AC is on

72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
07' Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl cab in Speedway Blue!
01' Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline EvilTwinATX

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007 - 09:40:44 PM »
Mike,
 What pulley's did you use? They look like March Pulleys but I am not sure...
I currently have an underdrive pulley from March and am going to have to get rid of it in order to put A/C back on.

Also, do you have an suggestions on rebuilding the A/C box? I ordered a gasket kit but nothing is labeled... so I am left guessing.. :clueless:

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007 - 09:53:08 PM »

FWIW, we restored the on in Lucy, works great, like new. Blows cold & warms you up without any problems. I just wanted the original black look instead of the aluminum looking modern kits. It's the car's original set up too.

:2cents: :cheers:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline AMXguy

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007 - 09:57:13 PM »
 The more I think about it the more I'd like to stay original if I can. does anyone know if the hoses are repoped ? or can a good A/C shop duplicate them? most everything else I can replace or rebuild it seems, I don't have much experience working on A/C  and this is a pain.
1970 R/T SE Challenger
 1970 Superbee
 1969 S code Mach 1
 1967  GTO

Offline EvilTwinATX

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007 - 10:14:24 PM »
AMX... if you are upgrading to a Sanden and R134a then you are going to have different hose fittings.. so you can make them look similar but they would be identical. You can get all the hose fittings from BPEUSA.com or any good online retailer... or your local A/C shop can custom crimp the hoses once you determine the length, etc..

Offline AMXguy

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007 - 10:47:29 PM »
 if I'm going to stay original I may as well stay all original, compressor and all.  so if I can't get repops you think a good shop can make new ones? I figured that little metal tube deal ( expansion valve? ) and things like that would have to be something vehicle specific to fit? I guess I better do some calling around, I'm not near a large town so I may have to travel a ways to find a shop up to this task if I have to get custom parts made.
1970 R/T SE Challenger
 1970 Superbee
 1969 S code Mach 1
 1967  GTO

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2007 - 12:01:09 AM »
if I'm going to stay original I may as well stay all original, compressor and all.  so if I can't get repops you think a good shop can make new ones? I figured that little metal tube deal ( expansion valve? ) and things like that would have to be something vehicle specific to fit? I guess I better do some calling around, I'm not near a large town so I may have to travel a ways to find a shop up to this task if I have to get custom parts made.

There are three sections to this article good reading and it says where you can have your houses redone.

Lunch

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2007 - 11:25:00 AM »
What pulley's did you use? They look like March Pulleys but I am not sure...
I currently have an underdrive pulley from March and am going to have to get rid of it in order to put A/C back on.

Also, do you have an suggestions on rebuilding the A/C box? I ordered a gasket kit but nothing is labeled... so I am left guessing..

Yes, they are March pulleys. But March's twin groove water pump pulley wouldn't work as it had the second groove on the FRONT side of where I needed it.  March recommended a shop that does custom cut pulleys so I sent them the March model but told them I wanted a groove added to the backside.

I also had a bit of a time getting the pulley circuits all lined up. The system picks up the new Denso/Mopar alt, the Sanden compressor, the crankshaft, and the waterpump. The pulley on the alt is a March but had to be under cut to get it slide back far enough to align properly. With the alt nearly against the head, there was no moving it back. I have a lot of time and money in the custom cut pulleys, AC brackets, etc.

These guys make a gasket and seal kit for Ebody AC plenum. I bought some 1/8" foam and made my own though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DMT-mopar-E-Body-AC-A-C-Heater-Box-Foam-Resto-Kit-Set_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ80738QQihZ011QQitemZ320121871802

« Last Edit: June 03, 2007 - 02:50:44 PM by miketyler »
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
07' Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl cab in Speedway Blue!
01' Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline AMXguy

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2007 - 04:16:12 PM »
 Does anyone have a picture of how the original A/C lines routed on the right side of the car? the one NZ440 has here shows the left pretty well but I can't figure the other side out. my steel line the expansion valve is in seems WAY too long but I'm 99.9% sure it's the one that came on the car. if anyone has pictures showing the proper installation of big block A/C I'd love to see them. I think I have all the parts but I need to restore them properly and get them on right.  I'm dreading this project, A/C is out of my jurisdiction.
1970 R/T SE Challenger
 1970 Superbee
 1969 S code Mach 1
 1967  GTO