Author Topic: Painting your car with Rustoleum and a roller?  (Read 5039 times)

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
Re: Painting your car with Rustoleum and a roller?
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2007 - 11:05:32 AM »
Agreed. it just seems wrong doesn't it?  :dunno:
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
07' Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl cab in Speedway Blue!
01' Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2007 - 11:16:37 AM »
The point of rolling/brushing is to eliminate any waste.  Remember, this was originally started for the cheapest paint job, not the best looking one guys.   :)

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2007 - 01:20:50 PM »
Agreed, this is not revolutionary. Life aint that easy. Rostoleum JUST gets the job done.

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2007 - 07:29:30 AM »
I cant imagine rolling, then sanding off 30% of every coat (at least) is not wasting product. Use a small detail gun...turn the pressures down. I've sprayed sections of cars with spray bombs before. So I'm not bashing the "cheaper" concept.. Just the lack of ecomony in time and material. I can spray a car with decent materials with 2 gallons of product, even cheap automotive type paints (say $40/gallon), and about 10% of the final coat of that will be wet sanded or buffed away. Sure, the paints $20/gallon. But these guys seem to use more than a couple gallons in the course of the 7 coats. I think a cheap paint sprayer woudl really make it easier. But I can see where the guys in appts might have a problem there.

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2007 - 07:36:22 AM »
The few guys that did it on sweptline.org to their trucks said they didnt even come close to using a full gallon.   :dunno:

I hear what youre saying moper.   :grinyes:

I am leaning more and more on spraying mine.  I sprayed one coat of white on my truck top last night, it looks nice.   :)