Author Topic: Painting your car with Rustoleum and a roller?  (Read 5042 times)

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
Painting your car with Rustoleum and a roller?
« on: May 24, 2007 - 09:05:16 PM »
Hot Rod magazine did a $98 Rustoleum paint job on a Ford in the Current issue.  They talked about a thread on MOPARTS.COM  that they read, then decided to try it.  It turned out nice.
I found the 3 parts of the original thread below and grabbed a pic of his Charger painted with the Hemi-orange like color.  It turned out nice!     I've been painting parts of my yellow Cuda with Rustoleum's Sunburst Yellow. I've painted the engine compartment, complete floor, and trunk so far.  Do I dare paint the outside with it too?  I'll have to take more pics.

PART 1:    http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=2331682&page=0

PART 2:    http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2655425&an=0&page=0

PART3:     http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=3493382
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007 - 05:24:23 AM by shelbydogg »
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline Autophile

• Kowalski... and the keys to a sawed-off weekend!
Re: Painting your car with Rustoleum and a roller?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007 - 10:37:36 PM »
Awesome! Thanks for posting!
1971 Cuda, black/black, 419 cu. in. 3G Hemi with twin turbos (build in progress), AlterKtion, Wilwood 12.19" disks, billet Rallye wheels

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007 - 10:39:13 PM »
There's a long thread on the Charger site about that car. I painted a floor of a 'CUDA with that stuff once and I noticed it shined up pretty well. It has a weird texture to it though, Almost translucent   :eek7:

Maybe not a good idea for a E-body but could look OK on a Saturn or something
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007 - 11:07:21 PM by 360cuda »

Offline AMXguy

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007 - 11:10:17 PM »
 I guess if you put it on 1/4 thick and cut and buffed forever, a broom might be even faster. wow, I don't know.
1970 R/T SE Challenger
 1970 Superbee
 1969 S code Mach 1
 1967  GTO

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007 - 11:12:32 PM »
There's a long thread on the Charger site about that car.

Here's the DC.com thread

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,8985.0.html

I guess they stole it from moparts too

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007 - 07:26:45 AM »
I'm sure that is the single, longest, most read thread in the history of Moparts. I think it's fine for people who dont live near the equator (more like Canada) and who place little or no value on thier time and effort. The local Farmers spray and brush thier tractors with the stuff. It's a decent paint, and rolling isnt a bad way to do it. But like a friend said int he post...If I saw a car with it, I could tell it was a backyard deal. And I sure wouldnt ever buy a car with general use paint. Any paint can be wet sanded and buffed. Not every aint can take life on a car. Wet sanding and rolling 3,4,5 coats? Just not worth it when MAACO is running ads for $400 paint jobs. Drive in, drive out.

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007 - 07:49:55 AM »
Im doin it, not too shabby, you shouldnt be able to tell when Im done.

I do have some more recent pics, I should take some. 

:bigsmile:
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007 - 07:51:42 AM by 71bigblock »

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007 - 08:00:27 AM »
But would you paint your Numbers matching 383 '71 Challenger with a roller?  The paint does seem to flow out nicely.

Maaco has painted 9 cars for me already too.   They give me a deal.  Machine sand entire car, spray with sealer, then spray with paint, $150.00.   I can't even buy the paint for that. Some colors like yellow takes many coats too.  They use Dupont paint.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2007 - 08:06:56 AM »
But would you paint your Numbers matching 383 '71 Challenger with a roller?  The paint does seem to flow out nicely.

:grinno:

I dont have the guts   :lol:

But, this truck is getting a 5.7, and its going to be driven.  Probably my driver for summers.  I figured I'd try it.  I have patience and some skill, and it is starting to look real nice.  I wetsand every 2 coats, so it keeps it smooth.  Who knows, I might get sick of rolling and spray the rest with the compressor.  Overall, I am very satisfied with how its coming out.   :thumbsup:

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007 - 11:41:35 AM »
I wouldnt do it on anything I wanted to look really nice, then again I do body/paint, so Id never do it.  It doesnt cost me much more to do a car in bc/cc supply wise.
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline basement

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2007 - 04:24:42 PM »
I agree, I wouldn't paint a numbers matching auto using this product. But I have an '84' 3/4ton i'd like to keep but is in dire need of a paint job. We don't have a Maco with 1000 miles of me so I would certainly entertain the thought of trying this roll on stuff.

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2007 - 04:50:51 AM »
Yup - I remember when that thread was first posted. Everyone thought it was a joke and really razzed the guy but now he has a true cult following. Using a roller to apply paint on any street car just seems absurd. Probably not practical for some but for others with a driver grade car that have more time and patience than money, why not?

There will be a lot of blood, sweat, and tears along the way to the finished product. I wonder how the shine will hold up over the years as compared to a good Dupont or other name-brand base/clear system?  Kind've like the old lacquered systems - they took a LOT of rubbing after application but it had a really hard shine that seemed to last forever. You would hope that all that extra effort would give you some sort of edge over conventional methods.
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
07' Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl cab in Speedway Blue!
01' Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2007 - 05:58:39 AM »
Bottom line, the right way and the Rustoleum way are different ways. That is not saying the Rustoleum way is bad. It has it's advantages for sure, but having it done right does too.
I read through the whole thread on Moparts when it was only, geez, 70 sumthin' pages. I was happy when I got my HRM in the mail and saw the article and a fewpages before it was "Elvis" Miller with his bad aZZ purple Duster.
Glad to see Mopars are no longer black listed over there.
I have seen a link to the moparts topic at 2 other sites and one was a mostly Chivvy pro-touring site about 6 months ago.

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2007 - 06:21:31 AM »
I primed and flat blacked my old duster with rustoleum  :bigsmile:
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2007 - 10:34:04 AM »
Even if you were using a paint like Rustoleum WHY use a roller when sprayers are so easy & are relatively inexpensive? Seems all the extra sanding would negate any other time or money savings.   
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!