Author Topic: Dash Pad Removal  (Read 3789 times)

nivvy

Dash Pad Removal
« on: May 26, 2007 - 09:33:50 AM »
Im sure someone here has done it...I have a 72 Challenger.....How do I remove it....how many bolts/screws???? not looking forward to this...

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Dash Pad Removal
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007 - 11:01:38 AM »
there are about 10 3/8 nuts , the whole dash needs to be stripped to get at some of them , definatly no fun

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

nivvy

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007 - 11:34:30 AM »
what do you mean whole dash needs stripped???

Offline moparbulldog

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007 - 11:37:33 AM »
I know when I had mine done, the guy had to alter a socket to get at the screws in the back.  Not fun at all. 

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007 - 12:57:09 PM »
If you are unfamiliar with the job, you may want to pull the WHOLE dash assembly.It is easier. And a beginer needs a service manual for assistance for helpful pointers. It will be easier for you to pull the assembly for the first time. And it is easier this way. There are 10 or 11 nut caps behind the dash , glove box, up against the firewall, and in places that make muscles cramp from the positions you'd be in doing it.   Pull the dash assembly unhook the harnesses at the firewall, heater stuff, brake pedals and what not and flip it out after you pull the complete steering column

Offline HemiOrange70

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007 - 02:12:45 PM »
I removed my whole dash. I used this board for help. Remove the 3 bolts in the firewall/floorpan and the underdash bracket to lower the steering column. Two screws in each defroster vent, under dash at each side. Unplug wiring and remove. The wiring unplugging is the hardest. I don't think I skipped anything :bigsmile:

nivvy

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007 - 02:55:18 PM »
I have all aftermarket guages installed??? what about that wiring???  :pullinghair:

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007 - 05:24:37 PM »
There is fun driving a mopar and a great learning curve to repair a mopar. The more you know and do, the more you save in costs.

The gauges you are talkin about will be simple too. Right down color codes, take some pics, make sure you have little wrenchs and little 1/4" drive sets. Some with long extentions and swivels and enjoy the weekend.

YOU  CAN  DO  IT !!!!!!!!! :2thumbs:

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2007 - 04:00:36 PM »
I am almost positive there are 11 fastnuts securing the pad. Just when you think you have them all, there is another one holding you back. Looking back I bet taking the whole assembly out would be easier and faster.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline roy282

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2007 - 05:24:53 PM »
This might help but I agree with removing the whole dash.ROB http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=17658.0
1974 barracuda 360 gone
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1968 charger 318 gone
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1970 barracuda gran coupe 383 4spd Gator in the garage

Offline purple1

• Worlds first e-body trailer. Member since 3/10/05
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2007 - 08:29:23 PM »
It can be done without removing the dash frame, but what a pain in the a...  :pullinghair: Most of the dash has to come apart. Glove box, ash tray, and the gages have to come out. May as well just take the frame out. By the time you get all that out. Then you need some very long 1/4" extentions and some are still very hard to reach. A/C cars are worse, more ducks to remove. :banghead: Then reinstall all that.  :banghead:

I will take out the frame and all next time, and clean and paint the frame when it is all out.

Dave  :wave:

Dave

Worlds first e-body trailer.    Severna Park, Maryland

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2007 - 09:23:38 PM »
It can be done without removing the dash frame, but what a pain in the a...  :pullinghair: Most of the dash has to come apart. Glove box, ash tray, and the gages have to come out. May as well just take the frame out. By the time you get all that out. Then you need some very long 1/4" extentions and some are still very hard to reach. A/C cars are worse, more ducks to remove. :banghead: Then reinstall all that.  :banghead:

I will take out the frame and all next time, and clean and paint the frame when it is all out.

I did it the dumb way. I pulled all the crap including the a/c stuff out, removed the pad and still have to remove the frame because someone painted it blue  :pullinghair:  I would have been MUCH better off just pulling the whole mess out and then taking it apart.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

nivvy

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2007 - 09:46:13 AM »
so what you guys are saying is take out the11 nuts and the whole sytem comes out and disconnect the harnesses/guages as well???

Offline purple1

• Worlds first e-body trailer. Member since 3/10/05
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2007 - 10:12:26 AM »
I think what we are saying is to remove the frame and all first. Then go after the 11 nuts that hold the pad on. I have done an a/c car, without removing the frame from the car. And getting to some of those nuts, in the car is hard to do (and I mean hard). I have also removed the dash, frame and all. Getting that out is easy by comparison. Either way it is still a lot of work.

Dave

Worlds first e-body trailer.    Severna Park, Maryland

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2007 - 02:01:33 PM »
I have removed an AC pad without taking out the frame, more than once.  :pullinghair: It can be done, but you won't be able to get to the speed nut up between the defroster vents. I removed all nuts, but that one. I then lifted up on each end of the dashpad, and pulled and twisted. It eventually snapped, and I was left in the back seat with the dashpad in my hands.  :thumbsup: A Kodak moment, for sure.  :lol: As was mentioned, the gauges, ashtray assembly, and glove box liner need to be removed first. There are also screws on the outside of each end of the dashpad. I'll stand by my usual credo... If I can do it, anyone can.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.