Author Topic: Model Pics  (Read 8208 times)

Offline purple1

• Worlds first e-body trailer. Member since 3/10/05
Re: Model Pics
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2007 - 04:06:30 PM »
Does a pinewood car count? How about one with a HEMI?

Dave  :wave:

Dave

Worlds first e-body trailer.    Severna Park, Maryland

Offline moparbowhunter

• MOPARS RULE AND ALL OTHERS DROOOL!!!
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2007 - 08:23:59 PM »
I repost this only to inquire : Where the hell ya been buddy ? You have been missed here, thanks for dropping in.  :2thumbs:  :cheers:
well been really busy lately. starting in august of last year i had another bout with kidney stones. kicked the now X-wife out in sept. dealin with my kids having some trouble with mom and dad not being together. my mom had a stroke on easter sunday. shes doing great and she goes home on friday  :woohoo: had a excellent girlfriend that got sick of the drama with my 2 x wives and my oldest daughter so she broke up with me. wow kinda sounds like i got the makins of a hit country song. lol.  :roflsmiley: other than that not too much and life is good.
thanks for noticing im back WSM.  :cheers:
70 Barracuda

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2007 - 08:34:05 PM »
For sure you have had quite an emotional ride. Glad to hear you mother is doing much better. First things first, and your mom is where you need to be right now IMO. A day at a time and a step forward each day, one day down the bumpy road it will smooth out for ya buddy. Thanks for sharing, need to talk feel free to send an e-mail or a pm. Also you have recouped from you kidney stone ordeal, never had that problem and from your "talks" with April about her's I sure hope I never do. Take care, and drop in again when you can.  -  Jim   :2thumbs:
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline Bearcuda

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2007 - 11:01:22 PM »
Great models everyone. Now you're making me antsy to get home and submit pics of mine. I thought I was the only one crazy enough to drill out carbs. I made working butterflys too. I'm nuts.
1973 Cuda 440
1971 Javelin SST

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2007 - 06:34:22 AM »
I thought I was the only one crazy enough to drill out carbs. I made working butterflys too. I'm nuts.

that is something I would like to see. I've drilled out carbs, and the TA had a complete carb linkage, but I've never made working butterflies.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2007 - 08:43:32 AM »
Sorry to hear of all your troubles,  moparbowhunter.  :(  Hope all works out for you!   :)
Like WSM said, just take one day at a time.  That's all you can do.  :grinyes:

:2thumbs:  Nice job everyone!!!  The detail is outstanding!!!

I love doing models too and love to see everyone's work!  Mine is in my signature.

If anyone wants info on '72-'74 Challenger models I know a little info.

Does anyone know a better way to cut open doors besides an X-acto knife?  :clueless: A dremel tool makes the gaps too wide.

Here's a pic of just some of my stash.  Too many models, too little time!!!  :faint:
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007 - 08:45:23 AM by Super Blue 72 »
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2007 - 08:53:12 AM »

Does anyone know a better way to cut open doors besides an X-acto knife?  :clueless: A dremel tool makes the gaps too wide.

All of the people I know who do it well start with two models.  One is used for the main body and removeable panels are cut from the second body.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2007 - 08:57:48 AM »
All of the people I know who do it well start with two models.  One is used for the main body and removeable panels are cut from the second body.

Thanks for the reply but why do they do that?  Is that because the main body panels get messed up in the cutting?  You end up with a lot of parts for the parts bin which is nice but it costs $, of which I don't have much to spend on models. 

Do they still use the Xacto knife with the 2 body method?  Thanks in advance!  :)

I did this one with an Xacto and it took a bit of time to cut out the panels.  Just one kit though.

1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2007 - 10:31:18 AM »
No prob; I should have been clearer.

They start with two bodies because of the problems that you mentioned.  Any cutting method removes some material, generally more than the gap between the panels would cover.  If you start with two bodies you can take the one that will form the main body and cut out the moveable panels, making sure that all of the extra material is taken from the panels, then take the other body and cut the moveable panels, making sure that all of the extra material comes from the body.  This leaves you with a set of panels which should closely fit the body shell.

Have I ever tried this? No  :dunno:

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline Ross

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2007 - 10:56:33 AM »

I've used several different ways for cutting out panels.
Take and thin the plastic first on the inside. 
Then use either a razor saw, or a hot wire to cut the panels out.

If you try the hot wire route, get the hang of a hot wire first before cutting an expensive kit up.  They can wander if your not careful.

I've also seen a guy cut a door out using string. 
Yes string! The same kind that one would fix a button with.
Just keep pulling a length through the area you wish to remove and the friction of the string cuts away the material slowly.
The key will all routes is patience.

If you do cut out an area by mistake, build up the edge again using super glue as a putty/filler. 
Make sure that you sand it to shape within a day or so of applying it, other wise you will never be able to sand only the glue as it will be harder than the plastic its bonded to.
'70 340 Challenger

A whole lot of rust and very little time to work on it...

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2007 - 11:16:00 AM »
 :2thumbs: Thanks for the info guys!

I like the idea of thinning the plastic from the inside.  That'll make it that much easier to cut through.  2 bodies are tough to find sometimes.  Right now I'm working on a junker I got from Ebay, an old '70s Dodge van that I'm trying to open up the side and rear doors.  I only have one so the 2 body method would be tough but definately great advice.  The body is so brittle that part of the body is breaking off just from gripping it too tight from trying to cut the side doors.  I guess I could use a Dremel tool to score a line on the inside of the body to make it thinner and cut from the outside with the knife.

The hot wire is an idea.  When I was younger I used to heat up my Xacto knife and cut with it.  Maybe I'll try that again.

The string idea is pretty smart, but with some of the bodies being kind of fragile, I would image that you would need to brace the body in a vice or something to hold it as you would need 2 hands to operate the string.  Also, the cut may not be straight.  But again, good idea though.

Super glue?  That's a cool idea.  I'll have to remember that for next time.

Thanks again for the info!  :)

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2007 - 11:21:31 AM »
I used to have a soldering tool that had an adapter to take Xacto blades, and I think they're still made.  I tried opening up panels with it, but there was a very narrow margin between not enough heat (then I had to push harder and sometimes damage what I was working on) and way too much heat (which melted extra material).

I'd be interested in seeing some of your results.

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2007 - 11:30:11 AM »
I used to have a soldering tool that had an adapter to take Xacto blades, and I think they're still made.  I tried opening up panels with it, but there was a very narrow margin between not enough heat (then I had to push harder and sometimes damage what I was working on) and way too much heat (which melted extra material).

I'd be interested in seeing some of your results.

That is what I remember from when I was younger.  I used to use a Bic lighter to heat the blade or a propane torch and the extra material would "curdle" around the cut area.  Made a mess to clean up and smooth down.  The knife method is pretty clean and the gaps are ok.  I don't do show cars (or rather maybe 'cause I can't!  :roflsmiley: ), just for my own enjoyment.

Here's the "mess of a van" I got off Ebay.  I took it apart as best as I could then will build it back up when I have time.  ::) The clamp is on the body where it broke when I was taking the body off.  30 year old plastic is kinda brittle!  I'll post some pics when I have some results.

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2007 - 04:13:35 PM »
Man, I wish I had the time.   :pullinghair:

Awesome stuff guys, really cool.   :worshippy

Now, where can I find a '71 Challenger model?   :hyper:

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2007 - 05:35:02 PM »
I used to have a 71. Not a very good model, but very rare. Sold it for $175 about 10 years ago.

There used to be a few places making conversion kits for the AMT Challengers, with grilles, tailpanels and RT scoops. For some reason, nobody every (as far as I know) did anything for the Monogram model, which I always thought was the best kit.  I think Modelhaus might have been one of the places with conversion stuff.

- Han Solo, Star Wars