Author Topic: Stalling out  (Read 813 times)

Offline cudaaah

• 71 HEMI cuda, 2015 ram 2500 mega cab diesal 4x4
Stalling out
« on: May 30, 2007 - 06:00:03 AM »
took my cuda out last weekend, 1st time in severals months...A little recap, newly rebuilt 440, 6pac, electronic ignition.

Last time out, I opened up on the highway, when driving home, my car was struggling for power in lower gears (thought it was starving for gas???)

This past weekend, it was running great for about the first half hour, then it was just dying, almost like I turned it off, I pilled over and it would immediatly start, then dye.

I thought maybe gas problems, but spoke w/ someone who said it could be electrical.

Any ideas on where to start looking?

Thanks
Cudaah

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Stalling out
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007 - 08:47:11 AM »
Vapor lock , is the gas line close to the exhaust anywhere ?

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007 - 03:02:04 PM »
Brain box getting hot???   :dunno: Happened awhile back with a friends car. By the time I got there with the rollback it cooled down and started right up.
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007 - 03:17:51 PM »
This could be fuel or electrically related. When you say you pull over and it starts, then dies... is that happening when you put it back in gear? Are you using the standard mechanical fuel pump? If it isn't vapor lock, it would be interesting to have a mechanical fuel gauge in your fuel line between the fuel pump and your carbs. There could be a blockage somewhere(filter), or the pushrod for the mechanical fuel pump could be worn. I had that, but it only reared it's ugly head when the engine was warm.  :stomp: Another problem could be air getting into the fuel line. I had that too as someone tried to patch my solid fuel line.  :swear: If you have enough fuel pressure, then we can move on to the electronics.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007 - 06:05:42 PM »
Sounds a little like a bad coil or other electrical ignition item that fails when hot but usually you have to wait a few minutes for cool down.  I'd start checking the fuel system 1st. Some vapor lock problems can be found by leaving the gas cap loose.
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline cudaaah

• 71 HEMI cuda, 2015 ram 2500 mega cab diesal 4x4
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007 - 08:57:11 PM »
Thanks all...I'm heading to Roatan, Sat morn for a diving trip,,,I'll work on the fuel system when I get back 6/12.

I'm not really familiar w/ the fuel systems and what may be right or wrong...I don't mind spending a little, is there a good combination of a fuel delivery system? 

Cudaaah