Author Topic: Repairing Cuda grille?  (Read 2249 times)

Offline cudafishin

Repairing Cuda grille?
« on: May 30, 2007 - 11:47:45 AM »
 :working:
I have a 72-74 Cuda grille which has a long crack near the headlight bucket area in need of repair.  I would rather repair this item myself, since restorations shops can be quite expensive.

Just wondering if anyone out there has repaired plastic grilles with success, and kept the cracks from coming back?

Also, what products did you use to complete the repair?

Thanks!

Offline ksierens

• 70 Challenger Resurrection
Re: Repairing Cuda grille?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007 - 06:31:00 PM »
I know a guy who bought a plastic welder and has fixed several 71 Cuda grills. 

Here is one at Harbor Freight:

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=plastic+welder
1970 Triple Black Challenger R/T  440 Six Pack - 4 Speed - 3.55 Dana
Kurt - SE Michigan

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Travis72

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007 - 09:59:07 PM »
In the mid-90's, one of the Mopar Magazines had a great article on repairing a Cuda grille.  I followed the instructions in that article and used the same SEM products, mainly the #39508 RIGID/TPO REPAIR MATERIAL.  However I don't see that listed on the SEM website anymore, so perhaps it's been replaced by the 39506 Rigid Ure-weld?  One of the threads that bullitt posted, lists a different SEM repair material as well.  These days there are lot of products on the market to repair plastic parts.

I can't vouch for if the cracks will come back, since my grille has been only briefly in the car since I repaired it.  However it's held up for 5 years, sitting in the garage     :roflsmiley:   Here's some before and after pictures.

One thing the magazine article also showed was using some thin aluminum bar stock and using the same plastic repair material, bonding it to the backside of the grille in some of the high stress areas.  I did that as well, however I can't seem to find any pictures at the moment.  If you're interested I can take some new pictures of that as well.

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline mrbill426

• All Around Mopars
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007 - 12:50:05 AM »
Man, that look great.  Mine is broken in half on one side at the thin area around the headlight.  Is that new part number indeed the same product as the one you used?  Is there a better product for bonding pieces of these grills back together, and patching holes?

:working:
MOPAR or NO car!

'72 'Cuda 340, white on white
'72 Sebring; bracket project
'64 Imperial Crown black on black
'66 Imperial Crown; parts car