Author Topic: Fuel pump,carb something else?  (Read 599 times)

Offline AMXguy

Fuel pump,carb something else?
« on: May 31, 2007 - 07:06:53 PM »
 My freind is gave up trying to figure his '70 Cuda 340 problem out and came to me, I'm stumped. after if gets hot if you idle it or shut it off and restart it it will fumble and ping a little bit, it doesn't die but it's runs funny until it gets reved up a little. I noticed that the fuel filter is empty while it's running, not low I mean all you can see is a TINY trickle in the very bottom. it has a new fuel pump and Edelbrock AVS , so we pulled the suction line and it's clear and the tank is venting good, it an empty filter a problem? the fuel lines are routed well away from the engine so I doubt vapor lock. so we unhooked the line to the carb and pulled the coil wire to crank and see if we're getting gas, when it's hot it keeps wanting to diesel backwards with the spark disconnected. we checked the timing it's fine, could he need cooler plugs? a better grade of gas? it only does it when it's hot,  it's drivable but irritating.
1970 R/T SE Challenger
 1970 Superbee
 1969 S code Mach 1
 1967  GTO

Offline Whitehatspecial

Re: Fuel pump,carb something else?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007 - 10:13:11 PM »
Has the tank ever been cleaned? My tank had so many fine rust particles that the fuel pickup sock weighed about a pound! This was a 48000 mile car, but years of interior surface rust did the deed.

I dropped the tank, had it hot tanked at the local radiator shop, and coated the inside with alcohol resistant coating from Bill Hirsch Automotive. I also replaced the main fuel line with a new one from Finelines, got a new sending unit pickup sock and the float.

This has solved all my fuel delivery and fuel gage issues.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Fuel pump,carb something else?
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007 - 12:04:04 AM »
cooler plugs or removing some of the carbon from the cylinders could help

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t