A reminder

Author Topic: A reminder  (Read 1411 times)

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
A reminder
« on: June 01, 2007 - 10:52:10 AM »
This is what happens when you drink and THINK you can drive.  An article from our local paper, Mitch is a VERY good friend of mine.

While their 21-year-old son, Mitchell, fights daily for his life at Regions Hospital following a near-fatal car crash Saturday, May 19, Tom and Karen Campeau are waging a battle of their own.

Just days after the tragic car accident, at the insistence of their son Matt, 19, the Campeaus arranged to have the wreckage that was their son’s prized pick-up transported to New Richmond High School. The Campeau’s wanted students of Mitch’s alma mater to see first hand the devastating results of one bad decision - to drink and drive.

“Our new slogan is ‘do what it takes’ to keep others from drinking and driving,” Karen said in a telephone interview Sunday. “Mitchell made a huge mistake, but we are hoping by telling others it may save lives.”

What really happened

Mitchell began Friday, May 18 like many other days. He went fishing with his buddies and later attended a bonfire at a friends. The difference was, on that particular day, Mitchell had too much to drink and refused friends’ attempts to keep him from driving home.

“He’s stubborn and thought he was OK to drive, like so many other 21-year-olds,” Karen said.

Mitchell left the bonfire, and on a straight stretch of road about a mile from his Star Prairie home, he lost control of his Ford F-350 pick-up.

At 1:45 a.m. May 2, the St. Croix County Sherrif’s office received a call concerning a one-vehicle accident at 2087 County Road CC.

New Richmond and Star Prairie first responders arrived on the scene, quickly followed by New Richmond Emergency Medical Services, Fire Department and the Sherrif’s department.

According to Captain John Shilts of the St. Croix County Sherrif’s Department, Campeau’s vehicle hit the left shoulder of the road and he overcorrected ending up on the right shoulder of the road. He again overcorrected and rolled the truck several times, striking a mailbox and a power pole.

Mitchell was ejected from the vehicle and landed in the north ditch of County Road CC, 183 feet from where the truck came to rest on its right side. The driver’s door was found next to Mitchell in the ditch.

“A small grass fire started in the area, but the vehicle did not burn,” said Shilts in a telephone interview.

The Sherrif’s Department confirmed that Campeau was not wearing a seat belt at the time of the accident but has not determined officially whether alcohol was a contributing factor in the accident.

The power pole Mitchell hit shut down electricity in Star Prairie from 1:49 a.m. until 4:30 a.m., according to Chris Ouellette, spokesperson for Xcel Energy.

“People always think it won’t happen to them, but it did happen to us. Make a plan before you go to parties,” Karen urged. “Do what it takes so you don’t drink and drive.”

An immediate assessment by EMT personnel to airlift Mitchell directly to Regions via LifeLink is cited by Karen as a life-saving decision for her son.

“All the rescue people at the scene were awesome,” Karen said. “My husband and I can’t say enough good about the EMTs, first responders and Fire Department. They were wonderful.”

Worst nightmare

The Campeau’s 17-year-old daughter, Kara, was the first to hear of the accident, according to Karen.

“She drove to the scene and EMTs confirmed it was Mitchell’s truck,” Karen recalled. “After they calmed Kara down a bit, she came home and told us Mitch had been in an accident and was airlifted to the hospital.”

On the way out of the driveway, Karen called Westfields and “they had no clue” what she was talking about when she inquired about Mitchell.

“Then I thought he (Mitch) was gone,” Karen said. “We saw the emergency lights and drove to the crash site. We knew some EMTs there and they said it was Mitchell in the accident. They were very comforting and said we should go to Regions Hospital.”

Extensive injuries

Meanwhile at Regions, a team of doctors and nurses worked diligently to stabilize the 21-year-old. His injuries were extensive and Karen said they couldn’t see their son for three hours after they arrived at the hospital because the medical team was still trying to stabilize him.

As a result of the accident, Mitchell suffered multiple skull fractures, especially in the back of his skull, where most of the vital blood vessels and nerves are, according to his mother.

His brain was bruised and he had a brain bleed which constitutes a traumatic brain injury. Three vertebrae in his neck are broken and he has multiple fractures on the right side of his face.

“His eye was coming out of the socket and the doctors put it back in,” Karen said. “Doctors had to reconstruct the right side of his face. Mitch has had excellent medical care.”

Additionally, Mitch’s pelvis is broken, as is his left arm. Doctors drilled holes in each finger on Mitchell’s left hand to relieve pressure. His elbow bone chipped, his heart was bruised and he has severe road rash on both legs, arms and face.

“The neurosurgeon told us that most of the injuries Mitch has, people don’t survive,” Karen said. “After his CT scan both the neurosurgeon and the maxofacial surgeon said it’s incredible he survived.”

“We’re asking the doctors how long does it take someone with injuries of this type to his skull to heal,” Karen said, “and they are telling us they have nothing to compare it with because they haven’t seen many with these extensive skull injuries survive.”

“We realize we are so lucky and blessed to have him here,” Karen said. “It’s only by the grace of God he survived. God must have a plan for Mitchell.”

Recovering

Mitchell spent the first five days of his hospital stay in Intensive Care on a ventilator with spinal fluid draining from his ears.

His family “camped” at the hospital, according to Karen. Every moment of those first five days was critical. It was a roller coaster of emotions for the Campeau family, according to Karen.

The doctors and nurses are amazed at how fast Mitchell is recovering, according to his mother.

Mitchell is a weight lifter and his mom believes that helped him survive all the injuries he received.

“Someone else without his bulk wouldn’t have survived, the doctors said. He’s such a big, muscular guy,” Karen said.

Mitchell has been moved from Intensive Care to the Trauma Unit, which means he is stable, according to Karen.

He is now able to have conversations and he remembers his friends and things he used to do, his mom said.

“He talked to his boss from Balsam Millwork on the phone the other day,” Karen relayed. “He said ‘I think I’ll need a couple of weeks off.’ His boss couldn’t believe it was actually Mitchell talking.”

Karen said the people at Balsam Millwork have been wonderful and promised Mitchell a job when he is ready.

“All the prayers and support we have received from everyone have made a huge difference,” Karen said. “Everyone has been so supportive and we have drawn strength from that.”

It will be at least six to eight weeks before Mitchell can even try to walk and he will be wearing a neck brace for a while.

Although Mitch is talking, he still falls asleep a lot and the family is working with him to help him remember things from day to day, like where he is and why. His mother says he’s the “same old Mitch, funnier than heck,” but she also says they are taking it day by day.

Making a difference

A friend of Mitch’s e-mailed his mom on the Caring Bridge site set up for Mitchell to let her know that Mitch is already making a difference in the lives of others:

SUNDAY, MAY 27, 2007 12:42 PM, CDT

“Karen -- I wanted you to know that everyone made good decisions this weekend... I got a call from some friends at three in the morning for a ride home. This shouldn’t be any different than any other but sadly it is. Mitch has made us all look at our choices and decisions and realize that we all are not invincible. I wanted you to know that so you know that this horrible accident did not go unnoticed. You are in my every thought and I couldn’t imagine a stronger person than you.”

“My message is because of my son’s mistake, I want people to learn from this and not have to go through what we have been through,” Karen said. “We are so blessed to still have Mitchell with us.”

Although Mitchell has health insurance, all of his medical expenses will not be covered. He will not be able to return to work for at least six months to a year.

Mitchell’s friends are making bracelets that say “Miracle for Mitch” to help raise money for his medical expenses.

A medical fund has also been set up to help with expenses at S & C Bank in New Richmond. Call 246-2265 or send donations to the Mitchell Campeau Medical Fund, S & C Bank, 355 South Knowles Avenue, New Richmond, Wis. 54017.

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
Re: A reminder
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007 - 11:02:01 AM »
A sad situation for sure!    :screwy:

Offline cuda

• 1970 340 Cuda, pistol grip 4 speed,3:91 sure grip
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007 - 11:05:04 AM »
This is another very sad situation. My prayers go out for Mitch and his family. I dont know what the answer is for this very serious tragedy that seems to keep reoccurring.  :dunno:

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007 - 11:33:08 AM »
A very unfortunate situation.  Although we never see the people, or hear the story, we get wrecks like this all the time. If your post stops it from happening just once, you done good!
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline MOPAR FANATIC

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007 - 01:04:38 PM »
 :sadwavey: sorry to here about your friend steve,least he is still alive,we can be thankfull for that.hopefully this will make others think before they drive after drinking and save some lives.i think most of us here have all been there before at one point or other in our lives and i hate to say but this is ANOTHER reminder for us to not drink and drive.
nuff said
p/s keep us updated on your buddys progress will you.thanks,MO.FAN.dave..... 
71 Challenger 340 a/t
2013 Plum Crazy Hemi R/T 6SPD

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007 - 01:55:54 PM »
Not to hi-jack the thread but here's 2 we just got in. Now I can't actually say these were from DUI'S but statistic's tell me there's a good chance!
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007 - 08:39:18 PM »
Wow!  Thank God your friend is still alive!

Hope he recovers well!  :grinyes:  Through Mitch and his families interventions they may end up saving other people from going through what they had to.
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Madmax440

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007 - 09:50:27 PM »
I wish him a full recovery and pray for his family. I have gone to the extent of removing parts (coil wires, coils, etc.) to prevent friends from driving and each and everyone has thanked me the next day. If you consider yourself a friend it is your job to have their backs when they need you to - Step up and do the right thing. 

Offline mopar_guy

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007 - 10:12:36 PM »
im sorry to hear that,such a sad story,but i think they definelty did a good deed by taking the truck to the school.real life in person reminder.sad but hopefull will keep this from happening in the future.hope for his well recovery

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2007 - 07:24:41 AM »
I wish him a full recovery and pray for his family. I have gone to the extent of removing parts (coil wires, coils, etc.) to prevent friends from driving and each and everyone has thanked me the next day. If you consider yourself a friend it is your job to have their backs when they need you to - Step up and do the right thing. 

Madmax, if I wouldve been at that bonfire, trust me, I would have done anything to stop him.  (I was out cruising in my mopar with some cousins instead).  If I feel like I could have done something to stop him from leaving and I wasnt even there, I cant imagine how the kids at the party feel now.  Well, actually I do know, and the girl whose house the party was at feels just awful. 

Hopefully I will go and see him in the next few days, I guess they are letting more than family go and see him now.

Thanks for the support guys.   :2thumbs:  If this can save just one person, it is worth it.