Author Topic: American Flag Question  (Read 877 times)

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
American Flag Question
« on: June 03, 2007 - 10:21:48 PM »

I ordered a custom made Air force style "Top Gun" jacket had my name on it, secret name "Magnum"  :naughty: and some other patches etc. But, the flag had the stars on the right side as you view it?!? ??? I asked the makers if there was some kind of mistake and they said, ah, we're not too sure. They sent me another flag it it was exactly the same thing, stars on the right side as you look directly at it. So, I left it. I have since seen several GI's in the Iraqi war, Discovery channel etc wearing similar uniforms with the stars on the left AND right in different programs etc.

Can someone please tell me why this is. One response I've heard is that they keep the stars (states) closer to their heart which sounds a little far fetched but maybe true, I have no idea, hence this thread.

Thanks!!

:wavingflag:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Bearcuda

Re: American Flag Question
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007 - 10:33:52 PM »
Is it on the right shoulder? The ones on our uniforms are worn on the right shoulder. They are worn this way to represent carrying the flag into battle which would have this appearance. If worn on the left shoulder it would need to be in the typical fashion fashion with the stars on the left.
1973 Cuda 440
1971 Javelin SST

Offline Moparmatt

• Resident
  • Mopar or No Car - Member Since 10/09/03
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007 - 10:59:17 PM »
Is it on the right shoulder? The ones on our uniforms are worn on the right shoulder. They are worn this way to represent carrying the flag into battle which would have this appearance.

Or, at least that is the justification Rumsfeld gave... seems to me that the flag didn't seem to be "retreating" when it faced the other way through WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Panama, Grenada, Persian Gulf I, Yugoslavia, Kosovo, Afghanistan, and entering Iraq...  :dunno:

When displayed, the union (stars) are supposed to be on their own right, viewers left.

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007 - 11:18:47 PM »
Is it on the right shoulder? The ones on our uniforms are worn on the right shoulder. They are worn this way to represent carrying the flag into battle which would have this appearance. If worn on the left shoulder it would need to be in the typical fashion fashion with the stars on the left.

Correct!!  As also shown on aircraft. As though the breeze was blowing it backwards

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007 - 11:51:48 PM »

OH, OK (still somewhat confused). The ones I have seen with the stars on the "wrong side" were on the persons right, our left as you look at the person. Pete: Admin needs to edit/empty the attachments folder for the photos to work.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007 - 01:46:24 PM »

Care of Pete........ :thumbsup:

Offline willhaven

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007 - 09:21:22 PM »
Also, if you drape a flag downward (like from a banister or something), the patch of blue and white needs to stay in the top left corner.