Author Topic: Car does not start after running 20 min.  (Read 3491 times)

Offline cmesa

Car does not start after running 20 min.
« on: June 05, 2007 - 05:04:42 AM »
Hello, I have a problem and a question:
After running the car for about 20 minutes when I turn it off it does not start. I changed the coil but that did not slove my problem. What I noticed is my fuel filter (which I can see the gas flowing) was not getting any fuel? I have never heard of a gas pump not working after the car is hot.
Now my question: Where can I get the fasteners (plastic) that hold the door windows to the regulators
Thank You

Offline 6packCuda

• Eagle, NE... Member since 11/17/06
Re: Car does not start after running 20 min.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007 - 06:42:32 AM »
I would check to see if your fuel line is running too close to your exhaust. If your gas gets too hot, the pump can't pump it. As for the window parts, R/T Specialties carries them I think.
http://www.rtspecialties.net/
Dave

Offline cmesa

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007 - 06:50:33 AM »
I did notice my fuel line was hot, however it is not close to any exhaust. I recently put in a new carb and used metal tubing not rubber fuel lines.
Thank You

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007 - 07:19:54 AM »
I hope the fuel tank is Not painted Black , it needs to be silver

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline cmesa

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007 - 08:15:39 AM »
Actually I think I painted it black,( just my luck I could have painted it silver)
Thank You

Offline chevyconvert

• HvacMan
  • Member since November 04, 2005
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007 - 11:20:02 PM »
just curious on what difference the tank color is unless the sunshine can somehow reach it.

Black radiates heat away better than other colors which would cool the gas. This is why radiators are painted black.
Eric
'70 Hemi Orange RT/SE 440 Six Pack Pistol-Grip 4 speed
Bay Area California

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007 - 11:41:26 PM »
just curious on what difference the tank color is unless the sunshine can somehow reach it.

Black radiates heat away better than other colors which would cool the gas. This is why radiators are painted black.

Colors don't radiate heat unless it's caused by light. We see black because most of the light that strikes the black surface is absorbed where white colored items the light is mostly reflected including light we can't see (causing less radiant energy or heat). Metallic paint or coatings are in a different category; they do not readily absorb or radiate heat thus being a perfect color for gas tanks. On the other hand radiators are not painted black for heat absorption; they are more or less painted black for cosmetic reasons. The heat that is radiated from radiators is on the infrared level, so unless it is a metallic color, any other color will for the most part be the same.

Lunch

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007 - 11:49:46 PM »

Ah, who says they have to be painted Black!? Mine is powder coated black, looks awesome and I've had no dramas. I wanted it black to hide it more, just a personal touch which was part of the detailing we did, like painting the lower lip of the body panels black to ride the waving look underneath, painting the bolts and screws around the rad, painting all interior screws, nuts etc black. Unless you're going 100% judged car trailer why not take it another level past the factory cars, not hard really when there were plenty of, ah, lack of craftsmanship for better wording.

I'll be doing the same to the Cuda too.  :thumbsup:

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007 - 01:34:23 AM »
Well my experience with a customer car was that we had a fuel / vapor lock problem & I was tryign to figure out why so I disconnected the fuel line to blow it out to make sure it was clear & the fuel was purculating out the sending unit line , so I popped out the sender & the fuel was boiling in the tank & the pressure had to go somewhere , the light color of the concrete was reflecting enough  heat onto the tank even in thie relatively cold climate to heat the tank up , all we did was paint the tank silver & the problem was solved

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007 - 08:57:15 AM »

Oh, OK, well for what it's worth to anyone else reading I've had no problems at all.  :thumbsup:
Maybe because painting it black and powder-coating black are different, not sure but mine is fine.

:wave:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline cmesa

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2007 - 09:39:02 AM »
OK, I got the part of the paint on the tank, I ordered a fuel pump to replace the one I have. This is the first step, if that does not work then I'll try to remove as much black paint from the tank as  can. If that does not work..... then ???????

Offline matt63

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2007 - 11:51:06 AM »
I would also check to make sure there are cracks in the rubber tubing between the tank pick-up and the tubing.  This could cause air to be pulled into the fuel line. 
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline RDF

• The pain that greets me is the stick that beats me
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2007 - 12:45:24 PM »
Good stuff here......although I don't know the answer (and won't pretend to either), but if I had to guess, I would think it would have something to do with heat.  If it runs for 20 minutes, and won't start after that, sounds like "something" has heated up and needs to cool before the engine will start.  I would doubt it would be air in the fuel line, as it runs fine for 20+ minutes.....I would think if it was air in the fuel line you would see signs well before 20 minutes.

The black gas tank thing does sound a bit strange, but if painting it another color worked, then by all means try it.  I wouldn't scrape the existing paint off, just paint over it with silver.

I'd love to see where this ends up as it seems to have a few people here stumped.
Bob

1973 'Cuda

If we never drown we'll never know how well it tastes....So tell me how it tastes and I'll know just how well you drowned.

My build:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=45749.0

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2007 - 03:33:21 PM »
Good stuff here......although I don't know the answer (and won't pretend to either), but if I had to guess, I would think it would have something to do with heat.  If it runs for 20 minutes, and won't start after that, sounds like "something" has heated up and needs to cool before the engine will start.  I would doubt it would be air in the fuel line, as it runs fine for 20+ minutes.....I would think if it was air in the fuel line you would see signs well before 20 minutes.

The black gas tank thing does sound a bit strange, but if painting it another color worked, then by all means try it.  I wouldn't scrape the existing paint off, just paint over it with silver.

I'd love to see where this ends up as it seems to have a few people here stumped.

Let me tell you my tails of woe.  :pullinghair: Some genious had a short rubber hose on my solid fuel line. Apparently they couldn't but it on in one piece?  :stomp: After a few decades, it developed a nice little dry-rot hole on top. My fuel pressure would be fine at start up, but dive down after the engine warmed up. I guess once it cooled, the air would leak back out so it was fine at the next start up?  :dunno: Problem #2 here might be a weak fuel pump, or a worn pushrod. Again, my pushrod was fine at start up, but after the engine was warm, my fuel pressure would dive. Can anyone guess why I have a mechanical fuel pressure gauge under my hood, along with an electrical one inside, so I can have peace of mind?   :lol:  :lol2:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2007 - 05:17:59 PM »
Good stuff here......although I don't know the answer (and won't pretend to either), but if I had to guess, I would think it would have something to do with heat.

Do you have heat shields on your exhaust  :dunno:

Lunch