Author Topic: Car does not start after running 20 min.  (Read 3488 times)

Offline cmesa

Re: Car does not start after running 20 min.
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2007 - 05:03:21 AM »
The right side of the exhaust does not have a shield. I am going to replace the pump this weekend. As far as the fuel hose, its new, I replaced it when I changed the carb. I have metal tubing to about 2 inches before the fuel filter and from the filter to the carb its a metal line. I replaced the gas tank and put in new vent hoses. After I change the pump I'll post the results.
Thanks to everyone

Offline RDF

• The pain that greets me is the stick that beats me
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2007 - 09:56:08 AM »
Did you check the ceramic solinoid (I can't remember if it's a solinoid or not) but it sits on the firewall and mopars are notorious for these things heating up and not allowing the car to start.
Bob

1973 'Cuda

If we never drown we'll never know how well it tastes....So tell me how it tastes and I'll know just how well you drowned.

My build:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=45749.0

Offline cmesa

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2007 - 10:42:23 AM »
Actullay I did notice that the cermic part on the firewall does get really hot. I have no idea what that does but its gets HOT.

Offline matt63

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2007 - 12:02:03 PM »
I think you are talking about the ballast resistor.  If it fails the car will start but won't run.  It's resistance can be checked.  It should be around 1 ohm (0.8 to 1.3).
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline RDF

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2007 - 12:06:52 PM »
That will probably be the cause then.  Autozone or another LAS (local auto store) should have one, they are pretty common.  :2thumbs:
Bob

1973 'Cuda

If we never drown we'll never know how well it tastes....So tell me how it tastes and I'll know just how well you drowned.

My build:

Offline RDF

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2007 - 12:11:17 PM »
I think you are talking about the ballast resistor.  If it fails the car will start but won't run.  It's resistance can be checked.  It should be around 1 ohm (0.8 to 1.3).

My Cuda was just the opposite....it would start, run fine, then once that ballast heated up and I had to shut the car off, it wouldn't start again.  Only after cooling for 30+ minutes would it start.  I replaced it and it hasn't done it since.
Bob

1973 'Cuda

My build:

Offline cmesa

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2007 - 12:21:08 PM »
What would cause the ballast to heat up. I recently changed the coil.
Thank you

Offline matt63

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2007 - 01:02:10 PM »
Ballast resistors do get hot as they are dissipating heat.  I'm guessing that most failures occur when the wire coils eventually break.
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2007 - 02:58:02 PM »
Ballast resistors do get hot as they are dissipating heat.  I'm guessing that most failures occur when the wire coils eventually break.

Right you are.  :grinyes: They expand when hot, then contract once they cool. Do this a few thousand times, and it eventually snaps. Just a note because I know of this from my car, the resistance can rise before the breaking point, giving you a weak spark. I had a weak spark problem, it turned out my ballast resistor was measuring 2.4 ohms.  :stomp: I couldn't start the car below 40*F. It took me a good while to find that problem.  :pullinghair:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2007 - 03:02:01 AM »
A higher output coil can put a higher load on the resister causing it to fail 

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2007 - 05:48:19 AM »
OK guys my spidey sense is giving me something....in the first post it was stated that he could see that fuel was not flowing through the filter...if this has a non-vented gas cap does it not sound like a vacuum could be being created in the tank?    If so simply removing the cap next time the trouble shows up & see if things clear up will be easy proof.(maybe hear a swoosh when you open it)  Solution change to a vented cap or drill a small hole in the one you have. 
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007 - 05:51:04 AM by bullitt99 »
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline cmesa

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2007 - 04:42:48 AM »
The gas cap is vented, I thought about that too, so I opened the cap but had the same outcome. What I noticed is that the fuel filter starts emptying slowly, till just a trickle flows in.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2007 - 10:17:07 AM »
If ti si a big block is the fuel pump pushrod worn & not cycling the fuel pump fully ?

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline cmesa

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2007 - 05:02:41 AM »
Well my problem was not solved with a new fuel pump. Actually its worsened, now the fuel filter does not even get half full. At least with the old pump, it would initially fill up and then as the car ran for a while it would start to get less fuel, till it was almost empty. I  called the tech number on the new fuel pump and a tech. told me that it was probalbly related to fuel vapors, or the fuel lines where getting hot. WHAT A PROBLEM I'VE BEEN AT THIS FOR A GOOD WHILE.
THANK YOU

Offline 6packCuda

• Eagle, NE... Member since 11/17/06
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2007 - 06:47:55 AM »
Did you check the fuel pump push rod like CP said? I had a very similar problem a while back and the push rod was to blame.
Dave