Teacher loses job over myspace...

Author Topic: Teacher loses job over myspace...  (Read 1704 times)

Offline mopar_guy

Teacher loses job over myspace...
« on: June 06, 2007 - 07:33:10 AM »
I found this story kind of interestingand thought i would post it to get a little feedback.i myself did not agree with it what so ever.not every teacher may drink but i know not every teacher is alchohol free.anyways heres the link

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/offbeat/2007/05/myspace_photo_costs_teacher_ed.html

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
Re: Teacher loses job over myspace...
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007 - 07:37:16 AM »

Definitely too harsh IMO. If she didn't bring her school or class into disrepute then I don't see the harm. It's definitely out in the limelight now though. People should have a right to do as they please in their own leisure time.

:2cents:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline wiging19

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007 - 08:01:39 AM »
:swaying: You wonder why there is a shortage of teachers in the US?  The cost of becoming a teacher is the same as any other degree.  Your required to put in a fifth year of schooling and many states require a Masters degree within ten years of the start of your career.  The maximum pay for that master is half that of most other master degrees.  As a teacher your credibility and ethics can be questioned by anyone.  60% of the parents you deal with question your motives for being in the profession and if there is ever a question of impropriate behavior your career is over. It doesn’t have to be proven and the stigma stays with you the rest of your life.  I would have been a fifth generation teacher if I’d followed my parents into that career.  I have a quarter of the education my father had and make four times his salary.   I am able to spend evenings with my kids instead of grading papers.  My weekends are free to spend with my family instead of grading papers and preparing lesson plans.  My children have five times the opportunities the kids in my family had.  So I choose to be selfish focusing on myself and family when I chose a career.  The price for being a teacher was far too high on many levels for me to follow that path.  In my opinion they are way under paid and often not treated with the respect/courtesy they deserve.    The behavior demonstrated by the college is a good example of the paranoid associated with people expected the worst of anyone willing to spend time with our kids.  This individual definitely doesn’t understand the paranoid behavior teachers have to live with in how they are perceived in the greater community.  She broke a pretty big taboo but that is a sign of immaturity.  I’m sure by now she has learned her behavior and won’t make that mistake again.  Her biggest problem is she is tainted by that action and will find it hard being hired as a result.  At this point only an extreme shortage of teachers in the area she lives in will improve her chances of getting hired in the very near future.   :faint:

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007 - 08:17:26 AM »
So she has a picture of her self dressed as a pirate drinking "an indeterminate liquid "from a plastic 'Mr. Goodbar' cup."

Yeah, so what?  Just because there was a caption that says "drunken pirate" doesn't necessarily mean she was drunk.  Who knows if there was liquor in the cup? 

Maybe the caption there was just put there as something funny.  It sounds more funny IMO than having a caption saying "Pirate drinking indeterminate liquid"!

This sounds a wee bit extreme.  When I first read that she was promoting underage drinking, I thought they caught her supplying liquor to teens, but I think the school board should have better things to do like trying to improve the education system instead of doing witch hunts like this. 

I'm not saying that they shouldn't spend time checking the backgrounds of teachers.  I'm all for that, but in this case they may be a little too judgemental, especially as wiging19  so aptly put it, there is a shortage of teachers.

She should be judged on her merits, not just on one photogragh.  If she can successfully earn her degree and perform the role of a teacher well, then she should be allowed to do so.

:2cents:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline MOPAR FANATIC

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007 - 08:30:55 AM »
 :banghead: Total b/s,another fine example of "THE SYSTEM" at it again.i think she has a great case here in her lawsuit and i thiNk she will win IMO.  :2cents:
71 Challenger 340 a/t
2013 Plum Crazy Hemi R/T 6SPD

Offline Pistol Gripper

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007 - 08:58:09 AM »
Unless there is more to it than what I read, I'd say it's out of line.  When I was in high school, I used to skip out and drink lunch at the same bar as the principal.  Neither of us had a problem with it.

P.G.
O ne
B ig
A $$
M istake
A merica

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007 - 09:01:51 AM »
Unless there is more to it than what I read, I'd say it's out of line.  When I was in high school, I used to skip out and drink lunch at the same bar as the principal.  Neither of us had a problem with it.

P.G.

:roflsmiley: Was it one of those, " I won't say anything if you don't..." deals?  :smilielol:  Just kidding.....  :)
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline ted

• 74 cuda, 70 challenger r/t
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007 - 09:29:47 AM »
WONT matter if she wins, i bet no district will hire her.
74 cuda, 70 challenger r/t

Offline wiging19

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007 - 09:36:53 AM »
 :iagree:

Offline Pistol Gripper

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007 - 09:54:40 AM »
Super Blue,

Yep, pretty much.  Neither one of us ever said anything about it to the other.

P.G.
O ne
B ig
A $$
M istake
A merica

Offline matt63

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2007 - 10:48:16 AM »
I guess the school board wants her to live like a nun.  They have to realize that when teachers are "off of the clock" they can do what they please.

Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline dougs bs23

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2007 - 11:21:16 AM »

P.G.

kinda harsh i think,and as for getting hired,,,, well, if she isnt hired and can prove the reason was/is this myspace debacle,, with a good lawyer she has another suit to file.  me,,, well,, in my senior year I used to hang out with one of my teachers :smokin: :angelwings:,, shes still in the career and I wasnt harmed either mentally or physically by this experience :biggrin:
see Bill run  go Navy football///fly navy

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2007 - 11:42:51 AM »
Zero tolerance is a HUGE load of B.S.! It is just pure laziness on the part of school administrators who are unwilling to take the time to examine and judge each incident on it's own facts and act accordingly. This crap has gotten WAY out of hand and our school systems (our kids' education) has suffered because of it! I can't see that this lady has done anything wrong, and I hope she has a good lawyer who will sue their socks off!
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline mopar_guy

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2007 - 01:24:07 PM »
 :iagree: ...i was waiting for it

Offline Wang

• "just hangin' out"
    • valleyautoworks.net
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2007 - 01:26:17 PM »
Zero tolerance is a HUGE load of B.S.! It is just pure laziness on the part of school administrators who are unwilling to take the time to examine and judge each incident on it's own facts and act accordingly. This crap has gotten WAY out of hand and our school systems (our kids' education) has suffered because of it! I can't see that this lady has done anything wrong, and I hope she has a good lawyer who will sue their socks off!
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

The Sh*t in this country is WAY Outta line..... un'freakin'believable...
Hurry,, Duane the tub,,I'm Dwouning....