Author Topic: Electronic Ignitions  (Read 3847 times)

Offline HP2

• Resident
Re: Electronic Ignitions
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2007 - 08:21:59 AM »
If your just cruising around with it, it is hard to go wrong with the basic MP electronic kit. Looks stock, fits like stock, works great, has adjustable vacuum advance and a hot spark.

Offline ted

• 74 cuda, 70 challenger r/t
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2007 - 11:31:28 AM »
15-20k miles with one, no problems.

I have had problems with the Pertronics systems in the past , don`t use them anymore
74 cuda, 70 challenger r/t

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2007 - 11:32:54 AM »
Not all have a problem , but I have run into 3 wired correctly that were intermittent to start leaving the car stranded

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline LAA66

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2007 - 06:17:02 PM »
 It's probably a good idea to carry a spare module. Also a ballest resistor, voltage regulator, starter relay...  any other:thinkerg:

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2007 - 12:51:37 PM »
I've used Jacob's Energy Pack. VERU nice system. The only multispark that senses the voltage required to jump one spark, and raises it's level to make sure the spark is good. I used it when I ran NOS. I havent had one in years. But I would rate it #1. MSD is second. I've never had an issue with any MSD6 series. I currently own 3, and installed close to 15 I think. The MSD distributors are nice because they will never wear out, and it's easy to tailer the ignition curve. Thumbs down for distribuotr cost tho. MP/stock distributors work fine. Stock, street, race, whatever. All they are is a mechanical curve, and an ignition pickup. I also like the tunable vaccum advance. I always run them if possible except on race engines. I run a single point is two spots. My old plow truck, and my running stand. The truck had to start regardless of weather or conditions. And points will if set right. They also can run on under 9 volts easy, and it's one wire...hence the running stand bit. They have no business in a modern performance engine. No more so than a 6 volt battery system, or a single master cylinder for braking. If your stock old car has them, great. but on one that doesnt need to stay stock, it's one of the single best mods one can make. I've never run pertronix stuff. but I have heard of issues. I also wont ever use or recommend accel for anything except cheap wires. Not good ones, but cheap ones...lol.

Offline rallyechall

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2007 - 01:06:29 PM »
I just helped my friend put a Borg Warner conv. kit in a distributor for his 392. It went together easily, and worked right off. It was pretty inexpensive also. I myself use Mopar Perf. Orange box. I have had it since 1988, and it hasn't fried yet.

Offline Hot_Rodder

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2007 - 05:10:41 PM »
Looks like Mopar conversion kit. Since the orange box is now made in "other" places now, the chrome box should be fine. BTW, what's the differences between the orange and chrome box. I read up on them a little while back when I put the conversion kit in my '69 Charger R/T and ran the orange box, but have since forgotten ::).

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2007 - 05:33:07 PM »
the Chrome box is stable to higher RPM , Mancini has the kit with the chrome box substituted for an extra $20

Offline rallyechall

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2007 - 08:31:38 AM »
Are the chrome and orange boxes not both made in Mexico? It seems odd that they wouldn't be.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2007 - 08:36:48 AM »
the last Chyrome box I purchased didn`t have a Mexico label on it , even if it is , it probably isn`t where it is made but what parts are used internally & the chrome is different

Offline Hot_Rodder

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2007 - 02:22:27 PM »
Thanks everyone for your input, I'll leave the poll open for people to still vote there opinion and such. The guy I was helping with the car decided that he might be getting over his head some, and I now have the car :woohoo: :jumping: I'll sart a topic about it under a resto section of the car since it needs some work.... :ylsuper:

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2007 - 02:30:54 PM »
Thanks everyone for your input, I'll leave the poll open for people to still vote there opinion and such. The guy I was helping with the car decided that he might be getting over his head some, and I now have the car :woohoo: :jumping: I'll sart a topic about it under a resto section of the car since it needs some work.... :ylsuper:

That sounds good.  :thumbsup: I have a 70 Chally that has had the basic Mopar electronic ignition upgrade. Just ask any questions if you go this route.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Hot_Rodder

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2007 - 03:07:15 PM »
Thanks Mike, I had... A '69 Charger R/T that I picked up with a rebuilt 440, so fresh it wasn't even broke in yet.... Anyway, I kept having ignition problems, the points kept getting ate up, and couldn't figure out why, pulled the factory dist., and it was slightly bent for some reason. That's when I got up with Summit Racing at the time, and ordered up the Mopar converstion kit from them with the orange control box.... It was nice, could tell a big difference, I would hope so atleast, replacing a worn out bent points distributor with a new electronic set up.... One thing that I found that I din't like is, whoever typed that little book that comes with the kit, doesn't know anything about motors, or was in such a hurry they weren't paying attention to what they were doing. Someone printed a picture of the distributor (a diagram if you wish) with the numbering and rotation or it, well, this is my fault. I installed and wired it the way the diagram said... :bricks1: WRONG!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't pay attention to the rotation. Wired it up backwards... :eek4: Read into it, then it said that it spins the other way then what there printed diagram says, I'd like to meet whoever did that little number and give them a piece of my mind :o......

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2007 - 05:18:01 AM »
  I picked up my '70 Challenger ( from the Customs ) and drove it home last Friday. The motor was pressure washed before I took delivery. I have driven it twice, both times for about 10 miles, when I turn it off it won't start until a couple of hours later.  :faint:

I drove this car 1800 miles, from Kansas to California, through heavy rain, snow and hot desert heat, it didn't miss a beat. It stopped and started anytime no problems. :2thumbs:

The Challenger is 318 with mild motor mod's of unknown spec's, it has an orange box ignition system fitted about 4 years ago, no moisture in distributor.

My question is could the pressure washer have had an effect on the orange box?
  I won't be able to check anything out until the weekend, I will be going over all the electrics and rechecking the tune then also, but I was wondering if anyone may have had similar experience before? :popcorn:

Thanks in advance  David
Dave

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2007 - 09:53:49 AM »
I have never seem moisture create a problem starting with the orange box , check to make sure it is grounded properly to the firewall . I assume the engine cranks but has no spark ?