Author Topic: Stories of cursed cars/parts  (Read 1403 times)

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
Stories of cursed cars/parts
« on: June 10, 2007 - 05:12:00 PM »
Anyone have any stories of cars or parts of cars(engine,trans etc.) that seemed cursed?I posted mine here- http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=34254.0 but will post more info here also.
To make a long story short I went thru three Fairbanks units,first one had cracked pump and lasted all of 1/2 mile,second one never shifted right and third was ok but still was never happy with the 2-3 shift as the engine revs would flare up under full throttle.Buddy tore it down and rebiult it but never worked right.Local quailty transmission shop went thru it and dyno tested it and it worked fine but now it`s not working again.I get the feeling that no matter what I do it`s just cursed and will never work right.Anyone have any similar stories?
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline Hopalong

• HEAD OFF! Apply directly to the neck line!
Re: Stories of cursed cars/parts
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007 - 08:28:30 PM »
I don't really think it's cursed, but a friend of mine has a 72 Cuda that has done some very interesting things in the past.  He bought it from the origianl owners son (whom I also know).  The original owner was involved in an accident with a motor cycle where the rider died while he was driving the car.  He laer committed suicide by hanging himself.  It happened in the garage, and he jumped from the side of the Cuda.  Since then the car has always had a presence about it (not bad in any way).  The car has been through a few episodes that should have ended extremly badly, but nothing bad happens.  When my friend bought the car, he decided to repaint it.  When he was stripping it down, he found the shoddy body work from the accident with the motorcycle and a dent in the fender.  It is a strange car, and I just got a chill from thinking about it.  I remember driving it one night with my friend, but there are certain points where I know I was behind the wheel, but I don't remember "driving" the car.
{oo/===\oo}

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007 - 08:39:56 PM »

Offline Bearcuda

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007 - 12:23:15 AM »
I think my first Cuda hated my friend Jay. First he was leaning over the carb trying to tune it, it backfired through the carb and burned off his eyebrows and bangs.  I'm glad he was ok, but he looked hilarious. I couldn't stop laughing.  About 2 days later, he burned his forearm kind of bad on my exhaust. :dunno:
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007 - 10:05:35 PM by Bearcuda »
1973 Cuda 440
1971 Javelin SST

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007 - 12:41:23 AM »
I dont have all of the details, but Im sure someone here does about the Porsche that James Dena died in. From what I understand that car is cursed. Every since the accident that killed James Dean bad things have been happening surrounding that car. I guess some of the parts from it found their way onto race cars, and those cars were in accidents and the owners killed, and then I guess the car was being transported and the transport rig was in an accident. The last I heard was the wherehouse it was being stored in burned down and the car vanished and no one has seen it since. Talk about spooky.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline Andrew

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007 - 01:12:14 AM »
I dont have all of the details, but Im sure someone here does about the Porsche that James Dena died in. From what I understand that car is cursed. Every since the accident that killed James Dean bad things have been happening surrounding that car. I guess some of the parts from it found their way onto race cars, and those cars were in accidents and the owners killed, and then I guess the car was being transported and the transport rig was in an accident. The last I heard was the wherehouse it was being stored in burned down and the car vanished and no one has seen it since. Talk about spooky.

Yeah Iv heard a lot of weird stories about james deans old porche. Apparently it disappeared/was stolen a few years back and noone has seen it since.

I bet ya its just sitting behind some guys barn....

Offline Pistol Gripper

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007 - 05:14:09 AM »
Back when I was in High School, there was a manual tranny floating aroung locally that no one could get in a car.  It was a Borg Warner 4 speed, same size and bolt pattern as any GM.  Problem was the output shaft, no yoke would fit it.  I bought the tranny, took it to the best transmission shop in the area and they scratched thier heads.  Best they could figure it was some Ford tailpiece, but they couldn't match it up.  I passed it on and kept hearing about it for years.

Not exactly haunted, but neither is anything else.

P.G.
O ne
B ig
A $$
M istake
A merica

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007 - 09:43:21 PM »
I've been workin' on a broke bolt on my pontiac for 3 days... I dont think the car is cursed, but I've been doing a fair amount of it!  :swear:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline DMZ73

• http://www.pbase.com/dmz73/
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007 - 07:34:56 AM »
There is a story behind every car....

Cars adopt a personality somewhere along the way through their history. I think that the persone who cares most about their car becomes imprinted on that car.

I have  a few wierd stories to tell from personal experience.

1. I owned a Volvo 244DL, it was more reliable than a golden retreiver.... It always ran, never skipped a beat. I worked on the car relentlessly trying to make it look decent, doing some bump work on it, replacing sheetmetal -the whole rear clip, removing trim, adding custom features, customizing the front end- don't ask, it was the 80s...
Anyway, my friends knew how much I was into the car. I was the group driver, going from place to place..Well one day, my friends decided to play a joke on me. I ran in to get some smokes, and my friends stayed in the car. I came back, put my key in the ignition and proceeded to drive off. My friends turned ghostly white. "STOP THE CAR!!!" my friends said. OK...? What gives?
"Dude, open the hood!!" my buddy says. Needless to say, I comply. I look down, and before my eyes, 3 of the distributor wires are disengaged. Now, mind you, this is a 4 cylinder engine.....
2. One instance I can specifically remember with my Volvo. I was driving back from Cleveland to Detroit, and my car started making a funny sound. I was hoping it would go away or it was not that critical that my engine would die. I started losing power and the noise got worse. I was nearly at the 1/2 way point of my journey, with quite  a ways to  a rest stop and I just kept going and hoping that the car would make it. I did not stop in fear of certain failure to restart.
I drove it right to the shop, and had my mom pick me up. I got the car from the mechanic the next day- He asked me where I broke down. I told him I drove it in from Ohio. He said that would have been impossible. The clutch fan went, the power steering went and the tension on the alternator belt was nearly non-existant. I just laughed and payed for the repairs....

That car was most certainly a freak. I ended up stripping it down to repaint it and losing pieces, interest and eventually giving up on it. I donated the car to one local cause. I think it is still on the road...

3. I owned a first series Datsun 240Z. It was a  screamer. LArger displacement 2.8L inline 6, tripple carbs, It ran like the devil. It was a light metallic green. I bought it as a track car, and went through it with a fine tooth comb, replacing item after item, making that thing  handle and run awesome.
Well, I was coming home from a quick errand, driving down Woodward Ave, 2 streets from our house, approaching a red traffic light that was about to turn green. I am nearly at a crawl at this point, then from the other street & direction I see an ambulance that just hits the lights and sirens. Now the light is green, the ambulance is at the intersection, and so am I. The ambulance slamms the brakes, and the ambulance driver looks through me. Instantly, I know whats up. It takes a split second to see what's coming and to react accordingly.
WHAM!
I was rear-ended at 50mph by a Jeep Cherokee, and I am in a Dastun 240Z at a roll/dead stop. I have a racing harness on. The force of impact throws the car into the intersection, but I do not hit that ambulance. When I became cognizant again- there were police and rescue all around, scratching their heads.
The rear end was crumpled, the doors were straight, no gas was spilled - (tank in the rear) no glass was broken. Not even the big bcak glass. The police said they never had seen anything like it before. A crash at that speed - SUV and small car, not fatality, no broken glass.
They asked me to move the car and get out. The doors were stuck. The throttle linkage was broken, as well as the seat track, and the rear strut springs were stuck on the flange all jacked up. The cars was shorter by 2.5 inches! The door-skins we peeled from the door inners- essentially an overlap gap at the B-pillar.

Cursed? No. Gaurdian angel? maybe. Haunted? Fate?

I will never know. This cloud definitely had a silver lining. The car was totalled, I got all of my money back in spades. I parted that car out, built another 240Z and made some more coin.  That, my friends, is how I got here.
One E body saved, 7 years and counting.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007 - 07:49:17 AM »
Someone's watching over you, DMZ73.....  :angelwings:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007 - 08:00:36 PM »
workin' on my Pontiac for 4 days  :swear: could not save the intake  :banghead: Awwwww  :dogpile:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl