I need a motivational speaker.

Author Topic: I need a motivational speaker.  (Read 2604 times)

Offline Tropicalcats

• Resident
  • Don't Ever, Ever Give Up
I need a motivational speaker.
« on: June 12, 2007 - 06:27:22 PM »
I am beginning to feel very frustrated in the progress on my car. I have even started to think about just getting rid of the project and forgetting about the dream of driving my first car again.
I decided in the beginning and maybe it was in error to do a full rotisserie restoration on my numbers matching 383 FC7 70 Challenger. I searched for a  little over a year and found a pretty much rust free car that had been in storage for many years. Being that I'm a working guy the money comes in slowly to fund the resto and since it is a full restoration I want everything to be done right $$$. In the 2 years I have owned the car it has been completely torn down and is ready for body work to be started, the engine has been professionally rebuilt and I have collected a basement full of parts (some fully restored) just waiting for the day I can start putting it back together. My car is now sitting at the body shop and I am waiting on that work to start.
Am I being impatient?  I know a project of this scope can take time but ever beautiful summer day I wish I was behind the wheel feeling like I was 17 again.
How long have some of your projects taken? Hell my taillight bezels alone took 6 months. I suppose that being in Northwest Ohio  the cold winters slow things up, but man I want my car to be done.

:feedback:
1970 Challenger R/T 383  Matching#s JS23N0E under construction. It's Plum Crazy
SOLD

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
Re: I need a motivational speaker.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007 - 06:33:38 PM »

Well, it's hard for me to gauge as you're doing the work yourself, big ups on that mate it's no like anyone can restore a car. When Dad and I start his 73 I'm sure we'll come across many frustrating periods but I know and I'm sure you do the end result will be worth it. What I did when I was doing Lucy was find some nice photos of White Challengers and keep them as screen savers or just in the folder so every now and then I could sit at the PC, open the folder and browse at what would eventually be.

Lucy took 3+ years to do and there were many, many, times I felt angry as progress or parts source slowed but I never once thought of throwing in the tell per-se. The body work is the longest on most if not all restorations, hang tight and bide your time as once you cross that bridge it's all down hill from there. Just imagine her in her new Plum Crazy coat, sitting there all pretty, rebuilt engine snarling at the chance to get in the bay. The board is here to keep your mind on and off things so take advantage of it and you'll be fine.

:cheers:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007 - 06:36:11 PM »
I hear what you are saying.  I bought my car about three years ago and had planned to be where I am now about 8 months after I bought it.  My big issues have been time, money, doing most of the work myself, and the fact it has taken a year to get my motor (which by the way will be here next Wednesday!  :bigsmile:)  I am hoping that its arrival will spur some motivation to spend more time on the project!  :cheers:

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007 - 06:44:32 PM »
remember...you are saving a rare thing.
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007 - 07:07:28 PM »
Our last project, the 72 B-body took nearly 4 years and I bought it painted, granted, not professional quality but the guy had it painted before he sold it...............it still actually needs a few things, but I can drive the b!tch.  :roflsmiley: Don't give up on the girl, she's just waiting for that day too.  :2thumbs:
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007 - 07:28:49 PM »
Well I don't want to scare you but I've been on mine 6 years, granted it's my first & like you the bucks are an issue, I've done a lot of the body work  2 & 3 times, but i do want to do it myself, so I would say with a pro doing you body work, however long you have to wait for that will make it much faster(& nicer) keep getting the other stuff ready because I'm finding it's almost endless, so many pieces so little time, keep at it man, you'll probably beat me! Rich.

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007 - 07:30:45 PM »
Look at the caption in your avatar........  :thumbsup:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007 - 07:33:18 PM »
Phhh...well sh*t, that about catches it in a nutshell :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I've had mine more than a dozen years and although i'm not doing the work myself, i've lost focus more times than i'd care to think about. Heck last summer i would have sold her in a sec - even had an old Mopar aquaintance who does paint and body for a living spend three hours looking my Challenger over. The day my car left on the trailer for the shop, the anticipation began. I have just about survived all the bodywork. Now that the various types of primer have started appearing - not to mention all those lovely boxes of various shapes and sizes left on the porch courtesy of Brown, along with test fitting, i'm just about getting batty. So i think right now pulling the plug is should not be an option for you. You selected your particular Challenger for a reason, take a few deep breaths and think on that for a bit to settle yourself down and renew the resolve. You'll be ok, we're just naturally impatient creatures. And similar to what NZ touched on, i have a screensaver very close to how mine will look when finished :drool: You just need to shake up your mind a bit :thumbsup:
  How long has my rebuild taken? Well, lemmee see, Jerry the shop owner picked it up November 12, 2006 and Joey is starting to throw "...painted by July" lines around. I'll be happy with an R/T SE in my driveway early next year :)
  Here have some FC7 in the meantime... :smokin:
  Where's Chris Farley's motivational character when you need him!!

:cheers:
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007 - 08:54:57 PM by RusTy/SE »
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=27173.0
Member since December 13, 2002

Offline Tropicalcats

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007 - 07:34:27 PM »
Look at the caption in your avatar........  :thumbsup:

touché
SOLD

Offline Tropicalcats

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007 - 07:36:31 PM »
I found my motivation in the beginning for this project and you guys are getting it back.  :2thumbs:
SOLD

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007 - 07:42:27 PM »
Sh!t . . . my convertible was in the body shop for almost 4 years . . . need I say more!   :eek4:  :eek4:  :eek4:
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007 - 07:46:06 PM by 4Cruizn »

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007 - 07:48:36 PM »
I had to pause my car when I got divorced in 1992.  It sat in my friend's garage, 700 miles from me, for 10+ years.  It's only been in the last year that I could really get in and drive it whenever I felt like it without wondering if it would strand me somewhere.  And I still have the paint, interior, and numerous other things to do.

An it's all worth it  :bigsmile:  Stick with it, man.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline gkring

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007 - 07:51:42 PM »
Funny, but I kind of like my car being in body shop jail. It gives the funds time to recover after the initial purchase and time to save up for all the new and restored parts. My body guy says there are good paint jobs, fast paint jobs, and cheap paint jobs. He lets me pick the two I want.
My last major project took nine years from the day I bought it to the day I drove it for the first time. In between was the Buick Grand National phase, the motorcycle phase, even a getting married phase. If you get frustrated step back, but don't ever give up. People who give up are often sources of the best deals for finding new projects.
Greg
1970 Challenger convertible-in process
1970 Barracuda driver

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2007 - 01:08:05 AM »
if it was easy everyone would be doing it , I have constantly restored other peoples cars , & it takes time but it  is worth it  when you get done , cash flow is usually the biggest obstical , then body work , typically it takes 18 months -2 years to do a full resto if you are organised & have cash flow , I have seen it take over a year to get the body work done even when the $$ is htere
 after owning my Chall for 27 years I wonder when I will be able to start the resto on it  :pullinghair:

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2007 - 01:09:00 AM »
GET HER DONE  :2thumbs:

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t