Author Topic: keep blowing fuses  (Read 2097 times)

Offline pink panther

• Resident
keep blowing fuses
« on: June 19, 2007 - 09:53:32 AM »
OK now I'm really lost, I have had problems with the fuel gage working,  I checked the connection at the sending unit and the guage, drove the car and all of the sudden about 30 minutes into it the gauge started working, but....................now it keeps blowing the fuse for the turn signal and interior reverse light. I guess it has nothing to do with the fuel guage as it keeps working when the fuse blows. any ideas why the fuse just started blowing, can it be  the voltage regulator? if so where can I get one? or can it be a wire loose and making contact with something somewhere?
Scott   -  Member since 9/18/2005

Offline matt63

Re: keep blowing fuses
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007 - 11:52:04 AM »
It's usually caused by a short.  You'll have to look at a wiring diagram to see what is on that fuse and then start looking at each item.  I have a few diagrams on my home computer and I know others here have them. 
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline pink panther

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007 - 01:36:00 PM »
Ok installed a new voltage regulator, and I'm still blowing fuse # 8 which is for the interior reverse light and turn signals, does anyone have any wiring diagrams for a 73 chally or suggestions where to look? I have checked all the bulbs and they are fine.

Offline RDF

• The pain that greets me is the stick that beats me
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007 - 01:53:30 PM »
Ok installed a new voltage regulator, and I'm still blowing fuse # 8 which is for the interior reverse light and turn signals, does anyone have any wiring diagrams for a 73 chally or suggestions where to look? I have checked all the bulbs and they are fine.

PM me with an email address that I can send you a wiring diagram to.  It's in .pdf format and is 12MB in size.  It's for 73's.
Bob

1973 'Cuda

If we never drown we'll never know how well it tastes....So tell me how it tastes and I'll know just how well you drowned.

My build:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=45749.0

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007 - 03:00:54 PM »
This wouldn't be voltage regulator related, but I guess you found that out.  :grinyes: A definite short here. Is this happening as soon as you start the car with a new fuse in there, or is it happening when you turn on the turn signals, or activate the reverse light?

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline pink panther

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007 - 04:06:31 PM »
seems like it is intermittent, sometimes it blows as soon as it is started, other times the volt meter goes crazy then the fuse blows. Weird thing is It the turn signals didn't blink sat, so I changed the flasher, still didn't help then fuse started blowing.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007 - 05:11:35 PM »
Lets take baby steps here. This is not a great approach, but it's all I got now. If you take the bulbs out of your front turn signal housings, and the side marker housings, see what that does. If the fuse doesn't blow, then we know the problem is with your "front" wiring harness, or lights. If it still blows, the problem is in the rear. I'm just trying to narrow it here. Your turn signal switch could also be bad, but that isn't fun to change if you have never pulled your crushcan before.   :grinno:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD

Offline purple1

• Worlds first e-body trailer. Member since 3/10/05
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007 - 05:29:38 PM »
I have been following you guys here...
Pink, I had similar problems. Using a light bulb in place of the fuse would be a good start. beats blowing fuses.

Dave :wave:

Dave

Worlds first e-body trailer.    Severna Park, Maryland

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007 - 05:37:28 PM »
Pink, I had similar problems. Using a light bulb in place of the fuse would be a good start. beats blowing fuses.

Thanks Dave. I've been trying to help you with the brake questions.  :poopoke:  :poopoke:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD

Offline purple1

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2007 - 05:45:31 PM »
Ok. I'll stay out of this one. But I guess an electronics tech can't help here anyway...  :poopoke:

Dave

Offline pink panther

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007 - 07:45:37 AM »

what? how?

Offline purple1

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2007 - 05:28:52 PM »
In place of the fuse, insert a 12v light bulb (using aligator clip leads or something). If it lights up (very bright) you have a short. This is only for troubleshooting a short. If you turn on a load (turn on the turn signal for example), It should dimly light the bulb.

Dave

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2007 - 05:46:05 PM »
what? how?

Are you coming to Carlisle again? Me and my buddy Dave(purple1) can tear into your car. How lucky do you feel??  :smilielol:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD

Offline purple1

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2007 - 05:51:30 PM »
I'm game...

Dave

Offline FY1 RT SE

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2007 - 06:59:43 PM »
seems like it is intermittent, sometimes it blows as soon as it is started, other times the volt meter goes crazy then the fuse blows. Weird thing is It the turn signals didn't blink sat, so I changed the flasher, still didn't help then fuse started blowing.
Which flasher did you change?  Disconnect the connector at the bottom of the steering column and see if the fuse still blows.