Author Topic: stuck in 3rd gear  (Read 997 times)

Offline raj

stuck in 3rd gear
« on: June 19, 2007 - 06:27:46 PM »
 :stomp: when i installed my 4 speed i found it was jammed in 3rd i have not used it in 15 years and for got about it. so i pulled the side cover to find the syncro keys were stuck. One had fallen out completely and was broken. so i purchased new keys and put it back in the car. I broke in the motor for 30 miles every gear shifted ok, then i went for the harder shift into 3rd and there it stayed. Pulled the trany and the side cover and found the syncro keys were poped up and holding the syncro cone from sliding.I noticed that the brass syncro ring is damaged. could that be the problem with the keys popping out. Any suggestions please help. :dunno:   

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: stuck in 3rd gear
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007 - 01:01:17 AM »
the syncro will add to the problem allowing the keys to come up too far , also excess end play on the main shaft will create extra space so you may need a thicker snap ring to take up end play change the brass syncros at the same time

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline raj

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007 - 10:23:06 AM »
Chryco Do you mean the snap ring against the clutch gear? Is there a way of checking for the end play on the main shaft? Thanks

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007 - 10:34:24 AM »
there is a snap ring that holds 3rd gear onto the main shaft if the gear moves back & forward ont he shaft the snap ring may be too thin

Offline raj

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007 - 11:21:28 AM »
Chryco; The strut spring that holds the syncro keys, is the spring tange to be positioned in the centre if the key? the two keys that are jamming the the clutch sleeve from moving have the spring tange in them. The 3rd one lays down flat in the clutch gear. I want to make shure that i am installing those springs properly. Thanks

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007 - 04:24:31 PM »
yes the tab on the spring is inserted into the groove in the back of 1 key , typically I don`t use the same key for both tabs though

Offline raj

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007 - 01:18:52 PM »
Do you have any suggestions on setting up the shift stops on the shifter. if they are not set properly will that cause the gears to engage to far? :clueless:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2007 - 12:16:20 AM »
i fyou have a comp + shifter with stops you can limit travel & it May help prevent the problem , thius is assuming the forks have zero wear & there is no extra travel internally

Offline raj

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007 - 11:49:59 AM »
 :bananasmi  Chryco Thanks for the help the new syncros and the shifter set up seems to have done the trick.The syncros were not worn that much but the distance on the cone with the new ones took up the slack and kept the keys in place. Thanks again.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007 - 01:26:50 AM »
Great  :2thumbs: