Author Topic: Black Cuda and the Sun  (Read 2665 times)

Offline kingtroll

Black Cuda and the Sun
« on: June 24, 2007 - 09:12:23 AM »
It's been raining so much lately here in Florida that I haven't been able to take my car out very often. It's also VERY hot now and my car is a mobile sauna in this kinda of humidity. I took her out on the express way yesterday and it felt pretty good to be able to take her out. Here are a couple of pics of her today with some sun actually out.
1974 Barracuda

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Re: Black Cuda and the Sun
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007 - 11:00:07 AM »
Yea, I can imagine that BLACK/BLACK could be a real scorcher down in the Sunshine state.   Back in the day I took my non/AC Challey to the beach...OUCH those black vinyl seats will raise welts after sitting in the sun for a couple of hours.    :stomp:
     She's lookin real HOT...BUT WHAT?!? No Kill Story?!?   :nono:
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007 - 11:16:58 AM »
I just realized, are all the side markers shave?

Offline kingtroll

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007 - 11:36:36 AM »
Yea, I can imagine that BLACK/BLACK could be a real scorcher down in the Sunshine state.   Back in the day I took my non/AC Challey to the beach...OUCH those black vinyl seats will raise welts after sitting in the sun for a couple of hours.    :stomp:
     She's lookin real HOT...BUT WHAT?!? No Kill Story?!?   :nono:

I know I know I wish I had a nice fresh kill story before posting pics. I was just so excited to actually get out on the road a little bit. You are so right about the seats grilling your back if left out in the sun. The only kill stories I have lately are about the sun killing ME without A/C.
1974 Barracuda

Offline kingtroll

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007 - 11:42:20 AM »
I just realized, are all the side markers shave?

Yes Grancoupe the side markers have all been shaved on this car. The car looks good from about 10 feet away but under close examination the side marker outlines can still be seen. The car also has some bubbling on the lowers rear quarter panels and rear window area. I plan to hopefully redo the car completely next year and if I am able to do that I'll be sure to post pics. I think I will leave the markers shaved off when I start that project. I will be leave the 340 but will do some engine mods for sure.
1974 Barracuda

Offline 1badcuda

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007 - 01:31:02 PM »
I have a couple questions for you, 1st is what year and make is your seat upholstery, is that 74 Cuda? I like the pattern and I might go with that for my 72. Second is what is your rim and tire size, it looks great on yours. I lived in Daytona for 3 years going to school at Embry Riddle and just moved home to NH last year, so I know about the rain and the heat, everyday at 3 o'clock it starts raining for 20 minutes and then stops just enough to heat things up.  Thanks Dave

Offline kingtroll

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007 - 01:48:55 PM »
I have a couple questions for you, 1st is what year and make is your seat upholstery, is that 74 Cuda? I like the pattern and I might go with that for my 72. Second is what is your rim and tire size, it looks great on yours. I lived in Daytona for 3 years going to school at Embry Riddle and just moved home to NH last year, so I know about the rain and the heat, everyday at 3 o'clock it starts raining for 20 minutes and then stops just enough to heat things up.  Thanks Dave

Thanks for the compliment Dave. I bought the car physically pretty much as you see it so I am not sure about the seat upholstery to be honest. I do believe they were recovered though. The car came originally with size p245/60r15 in the front which were too fat and rubbed badly when making turns. I had those replaced with p215/65r15 and the rear has p275/60r15. Basically it has 60's on 15 inch rims. The summers in South Florida are just like you experienced ,  afternoon showers pretty much daily and very hot and muggy after they clear up. I guess that's the trade off for awesome winters.
1974 Barracuda

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2007 - 02:54:19 PM »
I think the car looks great! especially with the shaved markers. Cleans the lines up a lot. Cuda's have no thrust line. At least not like the Challenger. So I always felt that the Cuda lends itself to a much more cleaner design. Not taking anything from the Challenger. That car has a great look of its own. The Challenger can support all the add-ons like the wings and louvers and all the rest of the stuff that was available for it while the Cuda just looks good as a real clean line. Taking off the side markers gives it that.

Offline Black340

• 1973 challenger 340 4 Speed
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2007 - 05:49:44 PM »
Hi a newby here, I agree, the Cuda has a much cleaner look line, that is my "dream car" unfortunately it is out of my budget..Kingtroll your Cuda is a beauty, I have the same problem with the warm weather even do is not so humid here in CA, we have the temperature around 90's and this is the first time that I own a black on black (with air.. but not working) and not only I am learning how warm gets after driving in the sun but also the difficulty of keeping a black car clean.
I purchase this car 3 weeks ago and it is my first Mopar, here are couple pics 

Offline kingtroll

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2007 - 06:21:02 PM »
Black340 that car is a real beauty. Let me give you a couple of tips on keeping a black car clean. I haven't washed it with water since I bought it. I intially used Dri Wash and guard incrediable stuff. I apply it and then hand buff but do it in a shady area. Then I use Meguiars detailer to keep it up. I also used Turtle Wax Foam Away Wash & Wax Spray which works awesome as well. Then you have to keep it covered when not in use... :bigsmile:
1974 Barracuda

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2007 - 07:04:03 PM »
Kingtroll, plain awesome!

Wait till NZ sees this one, Im sure he'll tell his Dad to check it out.   :worshippy

Offline SRT8CUDA

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2007 - 08:03:54 PM »
Kingtroll, plain awesome!

Wait till NZ sees this one, Im sure he'll tell his Dad to check it out.   :worshippy
:wow: I've already seen it!! very nice...yummy :cooldancing: :picture: :droolingbounce:

Offline kingtroll

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2007 - 08:26:34 PM »
Thanks for the compliments guys.
1974 Barracuda

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2007 - 08:33:43 PM »
Black cars are fun!!  Love the pics!   :grinyes:

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2007 - 09:13:43 PM »

Yupe, simply awesome. :2thumbs:

Hard to clean - Yes.
Hard to KEEP clean - Yes.
Hot on hot days - Yes.
Boiling on hot days - Yes.
Time and money to get the body panels perfect - Yes.
Hard to see at night (poor visibility for others) - Yes.
Pure badass that grabs more attention than any other colour - YES.  :grinyes: :smokin:

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60