Author Topic: Crush Can Puller?  (Read 6091 times)

Offline Grec

• The '73 Chrysler should have made...
Re: Crush Can Puller?
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2011 - 10:44:00 PM »
MEK...

(shrugs shoulders)

Yep... it was on there goood the 2nd time. Still got the pop.

I'll get a chance to try for third soon as I'm gonna be doing alignment and my can is about 3 or 4 splines off from dead center. ;-)
1973 Challenger Rallye
- 440 Six Pack
- A833 4 Speed, 18 Spline
- FE5 Rallye Red on Black

Offline Chilly

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2011 - 04:45:21 PM »
 The can IS NOT suposed to come of easily. They use a splined shaft with a tapered interfernce fit so steering wheel doesn't come off going down road if for some reason nut becomes loose. I just use a duck-tail puller with long bolts.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2011 - 09:16:50 PM »
the shaft has a master spline so it should not go on 3-4 splines off or any other position , if it is on in adifferent position you are damaging the splines

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2011 - 11:14:05 PM »
Strangely, mine does not have a master spline...looks like it came out of a junkyard Dart, but, I would have thought they all had splines...I have a can, but have not looked at it...the Grant can that is on there now has no master spline either...

Offline Grec

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2011 - 11:23:08 PM »
the shaft has a master spline so it should not go on 3-4 splines off or any other position , if it is on in adifferent position you are damaging the splines

I did not see what I would consider a "master" spline when I had it apart. (assuming it's one spline that's two or so times the normal thickness with a corresponding wider slot on the female side?)

Not sure what that means... it's an original column...
1973 Challenger Rallye
- 440 Six Pack

Offline willard

• 1970 Challenger R/T
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2011 - 08:48:39 AM »
Thanks for the info  on threads!!!  3/8-16
irst time I removed it with a large puller sing 3 SW mounting studs. Howevera during the rest the shop must have used some kind of athesive as it desnt work now.
1970 383 R/T SE

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2011 - 10:24:06 PM »
the master spline is a double spline & a matching double wide gap in the steering wheel splines

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2011 - 11:19:32 AM »
I know what it is :)

Mine does not have one....never saw that before

When I got the car, it had a Grant steering wheel on it with no crush can and the wheel was upside down.  I assumed the column connection to the box was 180 out.  I pulled the wheel and saw no master spline on the shaft so I turned the adapter until the wheel was right because it would go on any position.

I have a new crush can in the shop...just looked and it has a master spline.  I have another Grant adapter and it does not....guess now I will have to pull the wheel again to see if maybe the Grant adapter made its own grooves when someone installed it in the past....maybe I will see evidence in bright enuf light.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011 - 11:36:09 AM by Strawdawg »

Offline Grec

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2011 - 01:09:56 PM »
the master spline is a double spline & a matching double wide gap in the steering wheel splines

Checked again... I see no master male spline on my shaft, but do see the double wide slot on the can...

It's possible that this is not the original shaft. I know the car came with power steering but that it was dumped when the 440 was dropped in. I will say it looks and functions exactly like an original e-body shaft and everything goes together just fine. Still, with the guys that had it before me, there's no telling where it came from. :-)
1973 Challenger Rallye
- 440 Six Pack

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2011 - 01:11:39 PM »
who knows why your shaft would have no master spline but it has obviously been swapped with something

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2011 - 02:26:57 PM »
Checked again... I see no master male spline on my shaft, but do see the double wide slot on the can...

It's possible that this is not the original shaft. I know the car came with power steering but that it was dumped when the 440 was dropped in. I will say it looks and functions exactly like an original e-body shaft and everything goes together just fine. Still, with the guys that had it before me, there's no telling where it came from. :-)

Sounds exactly like mine...mine did say Dart on the column...hand written so I figured it was a junk yard column but I really doubt they had no master on darts but did on other cars..I suspect it is just typical Mopar and it is the luck of the draw=one supplier used it, another did not...but first car I have seen that did not have a means of locating it.  I was fixing to go jerk mine apart and take a picture but I will put it on hold for the moment  :D

Offline Grec

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2011 - 03:24:33 PM »
My column was definitely original, however, the shaft itself might have been swapped when power steering was removed. Although, I'm not even sure that power / vs non-power shafts are different.

At any rate, if the shaft IS from something else, it looks and fits exactly like it's supposed to so I'm not worried. Just makes centering the can a bit more trial and error. :-)
1973 Challenger Rallye
- 440 Six Pack

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2011 - 03:49:25 PM »
Yep, took awhile to get mine right..then after FF rebuilt my box, it is off a bit again...of course, there is plenty of room to adjust it staight at the tie rods...

Offline willard

• 1970 Challenger R/T
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2011 - 04:25:49 PM »
3/8 - 16NC. My Rimblow is inside now for winter storage so there was easy access to them. I even ran that tap into the holes to be sure. Here's a pic of my homemade puller.

Jay, can you spec the tab length and width? also what's the oval shaped holes spacing? I dont have access to my car to measure that.
1970 383 R/T SE

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2011 - 04:50:50 PM »
Is there any benefit to having the puller inside the can, versus having it outside and using long bolts?