Author Topic: What is your car mistaken for??  (Read 9175 times)

Offline Blackcuda

Re: What is your car mistaken for??
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2007 - 08:06:44 AM »
This is going to be a very unpopular question.....

Why is there so much similarity with the 70-74 Cuda and the 69 Camaro?

Dad always wanted the 69 Camaro, but bought a Cuda instead (new in 74)?  Any thoughts?

It's the roof line and the high rear fenders that people glance at and think Camaro. This in part that Chevy made so many of them and there more common. I dought anyone who ownes a 69 Camaro has heard, "hay nice Cuda".
I once owned a 69 Couger convertible that people mistaked for a Camaro also, and once a Challenger.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2007 - 08:36:31 AM »
 :iagree:

All the pony cars had a similar design philosophy:  short deck, long hood, low to the ground.  Since Camaros (and to a lesser extent Chargers) are well known, the average person seeing a pony car thinks Camaro (or Charger).

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline 74 340 4speed

« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2007 - 08:47:48 AM »
I think the main reason camaros are mistaken for cudas/challengers is that the roof/top of quarter area have the same lines.  Think about it.  Considering the fact that these cars are so rare(at least in my area of the country anyway) they are quick to judge them for another car considering they've never seen a cuda or a challenger.  The "you have a nice charger comment" comes from the general publics having seen too many episodes of dukes of hazzard :rofl:  I have never seen a 71 Cuda or any year Challenger in my home town.  The only Cuda's that are around are owned by myself and two other gentleman, and they never drive theirs :roflsmiley:.
Andy
1967 Camaro SS: 406 sbc 505 hp/506 ft lbs|4 speed|Posi|3.73s
1969 C/10  350|Turbo 350
1969 Dodge D300 318|4 speed|Dana|4.88s
1972Nova: 350|Turbo 350
1974 'Cuda: 340|4 speed|Dana 60|4.10s|posi
1999 Camaro SS: Auto|Longtube Headers|True Duals|TT2s
2013 Challenger R/T: 6 speed|Hurst with pistol grip|mopar performance exhaust|super track pak

Offline purple1

• Worlds first e-body trailer. Member since 3/10/05
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2007 - 06:05:31 PM »
It happened again! Today! First the guy (looking right at Challenger on the fender) says "nice Cuda". Then he goes "oh nice Charger", in that order... Again...  :-[

He did like the trailer and he was a nice guy, so I cut him some slack.  :D

Dave :wave:

Dave

Worlds first e-body trailer.    Severna Park, Maryland

Offline Mr. 6pak2go

• Resident
  • Restore it dont crush it!
« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2007 - 06:22:12 PM »
i was in my dart one time and a guy said thats a nice nova! i said its a mopar buddy he said whats a mopar!!  :screwy: needless to say he didnt know Jack about cars! as do most chevy guys i bet 90 % of chevy guys dont know anything about muscle cars i dont get it!! my cuda i get challenger and camero alot!!
My family, My cars, My guns three things il fight for!!

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2007 - 04:09:16 AM »
My wife who is not really into my cars that much is geting pretty good at recognizing all the muscle cars(I guess she listens to some of what I say!).I think we all run into the guys that act like they know everything about cars but can`t tell the difference between a `cuda and a Camaro, or they start telling you about the `69 Challenger with a factory 383/sixpak they used to have!I had a guy checking out my `69 Barracuda at the track a few weeks ago and told me the hood scoop on it was impossible to find anymore and worth big bucks.It is a aftermarket fiberglass sixpak scoop I bought at a swap for $20.I just nod my head and let them talk.   :smilielol:
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline IAfarmer

« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2007 - 12:40:50 PM »
People are stupid

In addition, when you put a Kamero next to a 'CUDA in comparison they are not even close. E-bodys are much wider and lower with high doors and low roofs.
Kamearos are just FORB Novas

NO, I AM NOT STUPID.  However, don't put the cars side by side and you will recognize that there are similarities.  For example, the Cuda has a nice style line in the back that flows into the door.  The 69 has the same line, though it stops before the door.  The roof lines are similar.  Yes, side by side it is obvious, but not if viewing separately.

I most definatley know the difference, however, there are a lot of part time car guys out there who don't eat and breath this stuff every day, so they can get it wrong. Is it there fault?

I could give 2 S**ts about baseball or basketball.  I gaurantee I screw up team names and towns all the time.  Does that make me stupid?  While I enjoy a decent baseball game, I don't get into the details.

Sorry, that stupid comment really pissed me off.

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2007 - 04:30:22 PM »
Don't be sorry...

I actually own a Barracuda that people tell me is a Kamearo.  The "stupid" comment is not directed at you at all.  Just people that tell me my car is a common Chebbie.

It says "Barracuda" right on it.  It says "Plymouth" right on it but still people say Kamereo

This thread is entitled "What is your car mistaken for ??"  I'm saying my car shouldn't be mistaken for anything but a Plymouth Barracuda.  You can be pissed if you want  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007 - 07:09:07 PM by 360cuda »

Offline Mr. 6pak2go

• Resident
  • Restore it dont crush it!
« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2007 - 07:11:32 PM »
well since yall are arguing iv gotta put my 2 cents worth!! CAMEROS AND CUDAS  have few simularitys becasue they where co desined by the same person!
My family, My cars, My guns three things il fight for!!

Offline Challenger73318

« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2007 - 06:30:18 PM »
Went to renew my registration the other day.  Lady at the counter looked at the pictures and then the form.  Says "you made a mistake here, your car isn't a Challenger.  It's a Charger."   Her assistant was well versed in the world of musclecars and began laughing at her.

Offline chevyconvert

• HvacMan
  • Member since November 04, 2005
« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2007 - 08:43:19 PM »
...funny I get "nice Camaro" also  :bigsmile:
Eric
'70 Hemi Orange RT/SE 440 Six Pack Pistol-Grip 4 speed
Bay Area California

Offline chevyconvert

• HvacMan
  • Member since November 04, 2005
« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2007 - 08:46:45 PM »
but seriously....what is worse than any of the incorrect names..IMHO....

is how someone can walk right by a nice musclecar of any race and not even notice it. :pullinghair: :dunno:
Eric
'70 Hemi Orange RT/SE 440 Six Pack Pistol-Grip 4 speed
Bay Area California

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2007 - 08:53:05 PM »
Went to renew my registration the other day.  Lady at the counter looked at the pictures and then the form.  Says "you made a mistake here, your car isn't a Challenger.  It's a Charger."   Her assistant was well versed in the world of musclecars and began laughing at her.

Ha, had the same thing happen to me.  On my temp plate you can see it plainly says "Charger"  and I got mad at her, and told her for like the 3rd time it was a Challenger.  So she wrote right over it "Challenger"  I think I still have it, its classic.  I should get a pic.   :faint: :roflsmiley:

Offline kingtroll

« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2007 - 08:58:12 PM »
Last time I brought my car out someone asked me who made my car? I answered plymouth. They asked me again the same thing and then added Chevy? Ford? I then answered Plymouth. This gentleman still had a perplexed look on  his face. I then had to explain to him that it wasn't a Ford OR a Chevy that Plymouth made the car and THEN he understood that somebody else made my car. Some people have NO idea what a Barracuda is or heard of Plymouth. He did like it though. :bigsmile: He wasn't American so I was patient. :roflsmiley:
1974 Barracuda

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2007 - 09:11:19 PM »
That's what I like to say.

"It's just an old Plymouth"

Kind of reminds me of the old days like it was the same as a Belvedere or Fury.  Too bad I can't drink the Moonshine