Author Topic: Is it for sale?  (Read 2849 times)

Offline moparclown

• Resident
Is it for sale?
« on: June 26, 2007 - 11:01:57 AM »
A question for you all,do people ask you guy's and gal's if your car is for sale?And do you keep a price in mind of what you would take for your Mopar?This happens alot to me and I just reply with No,but if you make me an incredible offer it could be yours.Or do you feel it should be answered with a real price?I have heard some hilarious offers,and I take no offense to them and I don't laugh until their gone.But feel that it's my car and I don't care what the car market prices are,so if they want it?It's gonna cost some $$$$$ to get me to let it go.I want to hear your oppinions on this-----Thanks The Clown

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
Re: Is it for sale?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007 - 11:10:38 AM »
I try to not get too attatched to anything.  (Anthing that is made of metal)

Reason being, what IF someone offers a ton of money for it?  Some people just have  to have things sometimes. 

What if I need to sell it for financial reasons?  (Oh I hope that day I'll never see)

Right now I'm going to say I'll never sell it.  That can change in an instant, depending on the circumstances. 

But, I didnt buy mine when new, no relatives of mine had it, etc.  I have no special story behind it. 

I think about this stuff often clown, youre not the only one.

Bottom line, no its not for sale.  Not right now.   :2thumbs:

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007 - 11:11:07 AM »

Hey Clown. :smilielol: Sorry, had to do that. :icon16:

I've had several people ask if I'd sell Lucy. Several when she was mid way through restoration. People going into the paint shop asking who the owner was and if they'd sell. I'd never sell Lucy or my 'Cuda. But, you never know what life will throw at you and when times a tough.....guess I'll be living in a car then cause I ain't selling. :biggrin:

:cheers:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007 - 11:16:36 AM »
                                        :ylsuper:  Show me the MONEY !!!!!   :ylsuper:

Offline RDF

• The pain that greets me is the stick that beats me
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007 - 11:18:48 AM »
                                        :ylsuper:  Show me the MONEY !!!!!   :ylsuper:

:iagree:

I would NEVER sell my Cuda outright, but if someone gave me enough money, I would sell it.  The only way is if they gave me enough to buy another one.  Although my car isn't worth that much, that's what it would take to get it out of my hands!  :2thumbs:
Bob

1973 'Cuda

If we never drown we'll never know how well it tastes....So tell me how it tastes and I'll know just how well you drowned.

My build:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=45749.0

Offline Wang

• "just hangin' out"
    • valleyautoworks.net
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007 - 11:29:33 AM »
Funny talking about this subject after what happened to me the other night.. I was down in the shop admiring my car in the air (on lift). Got underneath it,, started looking at the floors, quarters,,ect... realizing how clean my car is,, how much time I have into it,,, how long I have owned it. I started thinking about what kind of money the car is worth,,,Hmmmmm....Should I sell it?? ..........I lowered the car to the floor, cracked open a beer, sat in the driver seat and began to think about all the good times that have been had in this car,,, It is  the last muscle car that either of my brothers drove before either of their untimely deaths (heart attack, for one...cancer for the other). The thoughts of several things passed thru my mind, caused me to cry.  I doubt that I will ever sell my car, no matter what kind of cash gets flashed....  Just too many memories....
Hurry,, Duane the tub,,I'm Dwouning....

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007 - 11:34:41 AM »
Had a couple of guys knock on my front door just the other day wanting to know if I would sell my Cuda. I told them no, and the one guy said he would leave me his card in case I changed my mind. I told him "Don't bother, my 15 year old son would kill me if I sold that car!" He was 8 years old when I got the Cuda, and right off the bat he said "I get that car when Dad's dead!" :smilielol:
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007 - 11:36:39 AM »
I drove this car through my junior and senior years in high school.  I went on dates with my second girlfriend in it, outran a boatload of cops (kids, don't try this at home), and laid back on the hood and watched meteor showers at the reservoir when I was 17.  I've gone through hell to keep it, sacrificed a lot.

Every time I take it out people want to buy it.  When it has battered to pieces I had a $5000 offer for it (I think it may have been worth $2000 at the time). I guess, ultimately, everything is for sale, but I'd need enough not just to get another Challenger but also to drown the guilt of selling her.  Somebody would have to start at a million bucks and go up to get me to even consider it.  And I don't think I'll find somebody that rich and that dumb  :smokin:

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

sleepychallenger

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007 - 11:42:50 AM »
I get asked that all the time and have turned down $36,000 for it. Just not for sale. sometimes i get tired of people asking and then other times i take it as a complement. my dad had the car for 28 years and bribed me into going into the Air Force to get it. (ill give you my car if you sign up for four years). here i am now reliving all the old memories with my dad everytime that i sit in the car and just signed for another six. best bribe ever. will probably never sell it, might use it as leverage with my son sometime down the road.  :bigsmile:

Offline MyMopar

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007 - 01:21:11 PM »
Everything has a price.  Normally the price is way high when you don't need the money but then the price is realistic if you run into tough times and see no other way out.

I'd sell my Challenger if the right buyer and price came along.  I'd sell it for what I bought it for, for any work I did to it, and for what I feel I would need to ease the pain.  I also wouldn't sell it to anyone I thought was going to try to make a profit from it.

Funny story, my dads old roommate (we call him Moose) stopped in today.  He was talking about how back in 97 he bought a 1970 440 6pak (shaker) 4 speed Cuda, 2 fender tag car optioned to the hilt.  He bought it for $8700 and he thought that has high.  It needed work, but it was all there.  He even found the orginal center carb so the 6 pak was all original. 
So he got the car, pulled the driveline and was rebuilding that.  He didn't want to mess with the body, so he sent it to a body shop.  A year passed and no real progress on the body, then more time passed and finalyl the body man said he couldn't do the car.  He gave Moose back all his money and the car.
Moose dropped the car at another body shop where it sat for quite some time, so he went and picked it up.  The last body shop he thought would finish the car.  The owner said as soon as the fastback is done, I'll do your car.  Well never happened so he took the car back to his shop and parked it in a corner.  He figured at this rate he might as well do the body work (which involved prepping and painting, no qtr work, no trunk work, no nothing) and get it done.
Well back on topic here:
The car sat and a guy came by and asked about it.  Moose said no sale.  The guy kept coming back and hounding and hounding and Moose would always say no.  Then one day the guy said how much and Moose said w/o thinking $15k, thinking the guy would shut up and leave.  Well the guy reached in his pocket and paid him $15k in cash on the spot.  Moose couldn't say no thanks because he gave the guy a price and he had the money.  This was sold 1.5 years ago, I could have killed him because I would have offered him more, but the money wasn't the point, he didn't need the money.  He regrets the day he sold that car.

So long story short, sell away, but becareful about giving out a price just to get rid of someone as they might actually call your bluff.
1969 (OO===]|[===OO)
1973 (OO/=====\OO) <---SOLD
1997 (O|||||O) <---SOLD

Smoke tires, not drugs!

Offline Stacked440

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007 - 02:52:04 PM »
I've only had 2 people ask me if my challenger is for sale, and to both of them I replied "For the right price it is."  They still want a solid number but if they were really serious I think they would offer up the number they had in their head.
-Kyle-
1971 Challenger R/T clone 440/5-spd
1973 Duster - 5.7L Hemi swap project

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2007 - 04:02:16 PM »
Never had the luxury of having one that wasn't for sale  :dunno:  Always too much month at the end of my money.  Wife hasn't worked (aside from raising the 3 little ones) for 10 years and I always seem to have to rely on one of "my cars" to make ends meet.  Only time I ever had a car that wasn't "for sale" when I brought it to a show, someone racked me down 3 days later and made me an offer I couldn't refuse...

I guess the best way to answer the original question is, if you are not actively trying to sell a car and someone wants to buy it, insist they make an offer.  That way you know:

1 - If they are for real and know what the car is worth and really want it
2 - if they are a flipper looking to low ball you and make a buck
3 - if a number actually pops into your head that is lower/higher without having to give the car away like MyMopar's buddy Moose
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab 5.7 Hemi

1972 Dodge Demon - "new" project

AND TOO MANY OTHER MOPARS THROUGH MY HANDS TO COUNT

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2007 - 04:43:21 PM »
It's funny, but nobody has ever asked me that question. I would definitely sell, and at a fair price too.  :dunno:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline matt63

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2007 - 06:39:29 PM »
Nobody has asked me either but at today's prices not too many guys have that kind of money.  My policy is that if they are interested they can make me an offer.  Lots of people are out of touch so I expect to get a low ball offer sooner or later (I don't take the car out alot).  Then I'll just suggest they look at Chebbies! :walkaway:
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2007 - 07:39:11 PM »
I'm positive that if I sold mine, I'd turn right back around and buy another one. I super enjoy putting them together.

I don't have a clue of what my car would even sell for or the value of it. I also kinda keep it hidden so knowbody sees it.

What is a rust free 70 barracuda worth ? 42k actual miles,with non matching numbers 440-6 original 4 spd car, purple with back interior, 6 way, rallye dash, m46 option quarter scoops, road lamps, non ac , factory tinted windows, yadda yadda...  I don't know, but I will always own an e body.  With prices dropping I don't figure my car is a high dollar car. But I keep it original, but engine (318)s  wamissing in action.