Author Topic: Hemi Engine (Un-Installed)  (Read 1915 times)

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
Hemi Engine (Un-Installed)
« on: June 28, 2007 - 04:37:15 AM »

I'm after some 70-71 Hemi engines that haven't been installed.
Either on the ground, on some crates, on an engine stand or even a hoist. Just want some reference photos.

TIA. :cheers:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
Re: Hemi Engine (Un-Installed)
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007 - 07:47:37 AM »
 :naughty:

Offline Triple Black hemi

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007 - 10:40:13 AM »

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007 - 12:10:57 PM »
pretty  :thumbsup:  :grinyes:

Offline DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

• Resident
  • Still My Inspiration..1971, Rockingham, Nc
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007 - 01:13:24 PM »
  Looks like you got what you asked for......Great pics..... :picture:
Dave or David

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007 - 01:20:30 PM »
Thanks lads, nice photos. :cheers:

Couple of questions, is the water pump (#1) and the pulley/dampener (#2) black from factory in 1970-71? I know mine is a crate engine but it's very close to what an original would look like. As you can see from my cheap photo-shop, the 2nd photo looks nice with the orange heads all the way up and the orange intake which I believe was correct for Hemi engines, yes/no? I want to make the engine look as correct in appearance as I can where possible. The MSD is what Tim uses and says they are a much better unit over the stock appearing brown cap dizzys especially for an engine running a 6AL and EFI. I'm cool with that and prefer the meaty "top fuel" look it brings.

Photo 1 = A stock Tim Banning Engine
Photo 2 = What I'm going to ask Tim to do if it's correct and the questions above are answered.

:2thumbs:
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007 - 01:23:51 PM by NZ440R/T »

Offline 472 R/T SE

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007 - 05:43:21 PM »
Black pullies and orange colored water pump if I'm not mistaken.  Minus the headers & Stage V intake, we've tried to get it as close to OEM as possible.

HELP SUPPORT THE REGISTRIES because all cars matter.

I like to sleep For I'm walking in my dreams.
Live life like every DAY is your last!

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007 - 09:09:10 PM »

Black pullies and orange colored water pump if I'm not mistaken. 
Minus the headers & Stage V intake, we've tried to get it as close to OEM as possible.

Looks real sharp mate. What headers are those on there? They look super mint!
tti I'm guessing? Though I'm not sure they sell chrome pipes, unless you did them yourself?

I'll probably go for the orange water pump, black pulley and non chrome alternator (like yours). For some reason (IMO) the chrome ones look, somewhat "cheap", well, not cheap, but stand out as an aftermarket piece straight away.

:cheers:

Offline 472 R/T SE

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007 - 09:34:10 PM »
Yep, they're tti's.  My buddy convinced me that since no one sees them anyways, chrome would be alright.  I wish I would have went ceramic tho, didn't save that much $$.  I didn't read the instructions supplied that said to clean them with alcohol before initial fire up and have permanent fingerprints scattered.  :pullinghair:

May I suggest if you go with stock aftermarket manifolds, like any, have them planed flat.  A couple folks I've talked to mentioned the out of whack mating surface of the new ones.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007 - 10:27:35 PM »

Thanks but I'll be going with the ceramic coated 2-1/8" tti headers for mine. I have them on my Challenger and although it's a 440 Magnum it's still a nice look and the look very durable indeed. Did you go with the Dynomax muffler kit that tti supply with their X-Pipe systems or?

Offline 472 R/T SE

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007 - 01:17:57 PM »
Yep, the Dynomax's.  Love them, for 3" it's actually quiet @ idle imo.  Just the tinny sound of headers & loping.  :bigsmile:  Didn't do the x-pipe and I'm glad because of the eventual Gear Vendors purchase.  I still had to have the crossover piece moved a few inches.
I had the ceramic tti's on the 440 before the Hemi.  Great look I agree, it's just that things were starting to add up $$ with the install and I bailed on spending the extra $150 or whatever it was.  You know what they say about hindsight. :misbehaving:

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2007 - 01:57:09 PM »

Yupe, I do indeed! :grinyes: You could have still used the X-Pipe with GVs, it would have been close but still enough to comfortably make it and be safe. Do you have sound deadener or dynomat in your car? Because I have dynomat in my Challenger with the Dynomax mufflers and it's quiet as well but when I open the door it's loud back there, everyone from about 10 houses down can hear it at idle. When I start it up after running her to temp she can be hard to tell sometimes if she has started up. That's why I have opted for my next build, 'Cuda, to have no sound deadening etc as I want it to be loud and I want to hear it. Plus if that's not enough I'll have electric cut outs!! :naughty:

Ps: Here's my Challenger with X-Pipe and GVs autoshift sequencer unit. :cheers:

Offline 472 R/T SE

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2007 - 03:51:28 PM »
As a matter of fact I do have some sort of sound deadener.  This is my first old car with a rockin' stereo so I'm diggin' the quiet cab, don't have to crank up the volume near as much.

I know someone who had to eliminate his x pipe cause of the Gear Vendors.  :dunno:  Tell me about this Autoshift.  There's not much on their site about it.  Was that what you were having so many problems with?  I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I can only split second and third.  :clueless:

Thanks, your Chally really rocks.  You'll end up with an awesome salt and pepper combination.  :2thumbs:

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2007 - 04:23:44 PM »
As a matter of fact I do have some sort of sound deadener.  This is my first old car with a rockin' stereo so I'm diggin' the quiet cab, don't have to crank up the volume near as much.

I know someone who had to eliminate his x pipe cause of the Gear Vendors.  :dunno:  Tell me about this Autoshift.  There's not much on their site about it.  Was that what you were having so many problems with?  I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I can only split second and third.  :clueless:

Thanks, your Chally really rocks.  You'll end up with an awesome salt and pepper combination.  :2thumbs:

Thanks mate. :drunk: "Salt & pepper" :clapping: And one actually has a Shaker! :lol2:

Gear Vendors: L-o-n-g story but it should work like this: Put it into 1st, drive, hit the floor switch and it goes into 1st-O. Shift using the shifter into 2nd and it kicks out automatically. Drive, hit the switch and it goes into 2nd-O and when you're ready, shift into 3rd and it kicks out automatically. The sole reason GVs made this unit is to simplify driving as getting the stock system to do it smoothly was just too "hard" and messy (no offense).

Mine isn't working properly yet but we got a new module that GVs made for me and one other guy who were having problems. Yet to fit it, next week, so, fingers crossed it fixes up the faults. The faults are, it kicks out of OD automatically when it shouldn't, almost every 2-3 miles out of the blue at any rpm/mph. Can be doing 60, drop to 58mph and it kicks out. It's very inconsistent. Also, the gear splits are sloppy and can take anywhere from 2-5 seconds, I kid you not.

As for what you're doing wrong, it's hard to tell. Try hitting the switch earlier in 1st just after you hit the gas from take off. So, hit the gas wait about 1 second then click the switch, this will work. You'll be driving along and the split will come in "automatcially" (not really as it's delayed from when you pushed it). The GVs will kick in at the right rpm. The stock unit is fine, just a little jerky and has that "honing/searching" sound when you kick OD manually. Try the above, I'm 95% it will work for you.

Also, not sure if you know but don't drive and split anything under 3/4 throttle, if anything, I always do it at WOT other wise it's basically a waste. Testing and what not is fine at around 1/2 to 3/4 throttle but when you get use to it and it's working properly, definitely at WOT (as it was designed for). Another thing we found, you're better off keeping the car in 2nd on take off, let the car shift 1st to 2nd automatically as per a stock car then split the rest. It's quicker this way by some margin. Too much over spin and the more times you have to shift down low the more time it takes. Just passing on what we know/found out.

Offline VPOINTCUDA

• Wish she were done so I could take her out Ridin!
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2007 - 05:21:29 PM »
ewwwwwwwwwww, thats not  , ,  Chebby orange on the beautiful Hemi, is it? I have some hemi orange and it looks more , , , , mustardy ( lack of better description!) NZ, please tell me its a camera thing !
( just kidding , mate, ! ! ! Its sure pretty !)  :droolingbounce:
" the question isn't  when is he going to stop, but whose gonna stop him!"