Author Topic: Small block clutch linkage problem  (Read 768 times)

Offline loco340cuda

Small block clutch linkage problem
« on: June 30, 2007 - 01:48:38 PM »
I recently noticed that the rod from the clutch pedal down to the z-bar was rubbing on the top of the hole that goes thru the firewall.

This seems to be where it wants to be if I adjust my clutch pedal such that it sits even with the brake pedal. In this position the clutch pedal has about 1" free play before it starts to engage the clutch. So I think he clutch linkage is adjusted properly.

Now this is an orginal 70 340 4-speed cuda but over the years the orginal drive train was replaced so I'm not sure all the clutch linkage parts are correct for an e-body. What can I do to correct this problem so the rod goes thru the middle of the hole and I can attach the firewall boot.

-Thanks
1970 Cuda 340 4-speed - now stroked to 416ci (SOLD)
2017 Mustang Shelby GT350

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Small block clutch linkage problem
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007 - 11:13:56 PM »
sounds like you have the wrong belcrank / Z bar with the upper lever being too long & raising the angle of the pushrod through the floor , the pedal is not designed to be even with the brake pedal & should have less free play at the top of the travel as well

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline loco340cuda

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007 - 01:58:59 PM »
What is the correct length for the rod that goes from the clutch pedal to the z-bar.  Also how can I tell looking at my z-bar if it is the right one for an e-body?
1970 Cuda 340 4-speed - now stroked to 416ci (SOLD)
2017 Mustang Shelby GT350

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007 - 07:45:01 PM »
it should have a wide plate for the lower lever on the Z bar with a small hole in it for the spring
Brewers probably has a pic on their website

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t