what do you think about the global warming crisis

Author Topic: what do you think about the global warming crisis  (Read 6614 times)

Offline burnt orange

Re: what do you think about the global warming crisis
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2007 - 06:19:39 PM »

Now, if you could only explain "Organic" banannas to me ( how the heck could a bananna be inorganic ? ) I can die a happy man.

All I know is that "Organic" fruit seems to taste the way fruit did when I was a kid.  Someone explained to me that because organic stuff is grown without the pesticides and chemicals that preserve it, it has to be more or less ripened on the tree and shipped ripe.  Heck, who ever hears about "seasonal" fruit and produce anymore?

The inorganic stuff is picked green and "ripens" in the warehouse or grocery store.  The sugars and nutrients don't have a chance to develop properly, since as soon as you pick produce it is "dead" and no longer receives nutrition from the roots.  Storing in a Nitrogen atmosphere allows them to last for a long, long time.  The producers love this, because there is less loss and they can sell year round.  Now the push is on to Irradiate our food.....it'll last forever!
< ° ) ) >< 

Offline merlin969

• North Carolina
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2007 - 06:24:50 PM »
Yeah - the ones that are paid by Exxon to create doubt about the issue! :money:

:dogpile:
1972 Challenger, Nothing special. Just mine.

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2007 - 06:33:49 PM »
This debate will go on for decades to come.  I try and do my small part to contribute every so often by driving the BEAST around town.  I try and burn my fair share of dead dinosaurs.  I think I burned at least 2 T-Rex's and a Pteradactyl last weekend.  These old Mopars were built with dinosaur burning in mind........     :burnout:   :burnout:   :burnout:   :ylsuper:     :cheers:   
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2007 - 06:53:50 PM »
It seems like a new global "crisis" comes along every decade or so.

I have lived through the "nuclear winter" that all the alarmists said would kill us back then. It never happened.

After that it was acid rain........ it did not kill us either.

We are still here.

After "global warming", the next alarmist emergency may be Billary's reign in the white house. Al Gore himself may not be able to live through that......

:roflsmiley:

Offline R/T

• Johnson City TN
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2007 - 07:31:46 PM »
i personally do not belive in what Al Gore is teaching. I ask myself why should you belive a enviormetalist who bashes you for not helping by driving a fuel efficient car when he drives a hummer limo.
We here in Tennessee never beleived  Slick Willies  evil sidekick Algore either.
Remember you have to say Algore like saying Egore.
In the 2000 elections he lost his home state
1973 Challenger (OO/=====\OO)  440 
Hemis and Harleys
2008 Dodge Ram Big Horn Edition  5.7 Hemi

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2007 - 08:04:46 PM »
In 40 billion years or so, the sun is going to go supernova and this little blue ball of ours will just become a black cinder floating in the dark of interstellar space. 

I believe the sun will go supernova in 5 billion years. But it doesn't matter, because in 10 million years our Milky Way Galaxy is going to collide with the Andromeda Galaxy, and that will probably screw us up pretty bad. Of course, the odds are pretty high that an asteroid strike will decimate the planet and usher in the Age of the cokroach long before that. And that is assuming that there is anyone at all left to care if the terrorists manage to unleash a WMD that takes us back to the stone age.

As for global warming, it's real, whether you choose to believe it or not. It has happened before, and it will happen again. We are accelerating it, but the most we could ever do would be to slow it down a little. We can't stop it, so the money is better spent in preparing for it. My advice; Buy mountain top real estate inland.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007 - 09:51:54 AM by jeryst »

Offline burnt orange

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2007 - 11:34:48 PM »
The cool thing about colliding galaxies is that there is so much space between stars that the collision is really only a collision of gravitational fields.  There is very little likelihood of any stars or planets actually banging into one another!

Bush will probably blame Al Queda for it all though, and use him as an excuse to invade the Large Magellanic Cloud!
< ° ) ) >< 

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2007 - 09:54:01 AM »
The cool thing about colliding galaxies is that there is so much space between stars that the collision is really only a collision of gravitational fields.  There is very little likelihood of any stars or planets actually banging into one another!

Not according to the Discovery Channel. I watched a special where they show different types of collisions, and the results.

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2007 - 06:01:38 PM »
I almost forgot to bring up Gamma ray bursts.  That would pretty much cause a global warming issue.  :stirpot:
To top it, they aren't that unlikely to hit us.

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2007 - 07:01:18 PM »
Personally, global warming is indeed a polically soapbox and it will depend which party is in "power" as to how it will be handled by the media. If in fact there is even a slight degree (no pun intended) of fact to this it can probably be attributed to the ozone layer that serves as a protective umbrella for the earth. And I have to agree that this protection may indeed be gradually depleated by man's space travels and rockets etc. Just an unscientific guess. As far as actual temperatures on the rise, ?  I think I remember one article that said the over all average of the temp. has risen something like 1 1/2 degree over the last say hundred years. Now.........how far do you think technology has advanced say in the last 100 years? Do you think it is possible the "thermomerters" used 100 years ago might have been off just a tad. What can this scienfitic temperature rise accurately be compared with?

But I can assure ya all this, if it gets hotter we'll sweat, it it gets colder..........we'll turn up the d@mn furnace.  Gooday.  :cheers:
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2007 - 11:28:18 PM »
Looks like Algore has more problems then just Climate change

I guess his son Algore III was driving his Toyota Prius (considered by some to be one of the worst polluting vehicles ever) over 100 miles an hour in LA.  While Police were taking him into custody they found some Pot, (not the iron kind) Vicodin, Valium, Xanax and Soma, and the amphetamine Adderall.  Unfortunately  Mr Gore was unable to supply Police with a doctors perscription for any of these narcotics.  :lol2:

With past drug charges and a DUI I hope the authorites throw the book at him and keep this menace off the road

I know I'm supposed to understand that the man has a problem and needs help but I hear there are some good AA programs in Prison

Here is the link

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/05/us/05gore.html

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2007 - 11:33:30 PM »
If Al Gore was my dad, I bet I would take a lot of drugs too.  :roflsmiley:

Offline Bearcuda

« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2007 - 02:30:22 AM »
Didn't we already have this discussion in another thread? It's funny they consider CO2 a hazard when all green plants produce it. Here's some rebuttals of some of mR. Gore's "facts". When will they ever wise up that most of us ain't fallin for it?

Surprise, Surprise -- Al Gore's "Science" All Wrong
Did he ever care about the science or just controlling us ?

Chicago Sun-Times: Alarmist global warming claims melt under scientific scrutiny BY JAMES M. TAYLOR

Many of the assertions Gore makes in his movie, ''An Inconvenient Truth,'' have been refuted by science, both before and after he made them. Gore can show sincerity in his plea for scientific honesty by publicly acknowledging where science has rebutted his claims.
For example, Gore claims that Himalayan glaciers are shrinking and global warming is to blame. Yet the September 2006 issue of the American Meteorological Society's Journal of Climate reported, "Glaciers are growing in the Himalayan Mountains, confounding global warming alarmists who recently claimed the glaciers were shrinking and that global warming was to blame."

Gore claims the snowcap atop Africa's Mt. Kilimanjaro is shrinking and that global warming is to blame. Yet according to the November 23, 2003, issue of Nature magazine, "Although it's tempting to blame the ice loss on global warming, researchers think that deforestation of the mountain's foothills is the more likely culprit. Without the forests' humidity, previously moisture-laden winds blew dry. No longer replenished with water, the ice is evaporating in the strong equatorial sunshine."

Gore claims global warming is causing more tornadoes. Yet the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change stated in February that there has been no scientific link established between global warming and tornadoes.

Gore claims global warming is causing more frequent and severe hurricanes. However, hurricane expert Chris Landsea published a study on May 1 documenting that hurricane activity is no higher now than in decades past. Hurricane expert William Gray reported just a few days earlier, on April 27, that the number of major hurricanes making landfall on the U.S. Atlantic coast has declined in the past 40 years. Hurricane scientists reported in the April 18 Geophysical Research Letters that global warming enhances wind shear, which will prevent a significant increase in future hurricane activity.

Gore claims global warming is causing an expansion of African deserts. However, the Sept. 16, 2002, issue of New Scientist reports, "Africa's deserts are in 'spectacular' retreat . . . making farming viable again in what were some of the most arid parts of Africa."

Gore argues Greenland is in rapid meltdown, and that this threatens to raise sea levels by 20 feet. But according to a 2005 study in the Journal of Glaciology, "the Greenland ice sheet is thinning at the margins and growing inland, with a small overall mass gain." In late 2006, researchers at the Danish Meteorological Institute reported that the past two decades were the coldest for Greenland since the 1910s.

Gore claims the Antarctic ice sheet is melting because of global warming. Yet the Jan. 14, 2002, issue of Nature magazine reported Antarctica as a whole has been dramatically cooling for decades.

1973 Cuda 440
1971 Javelin SST

Offline emzvab12

• I LOVE ROSS
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2007 - 02:09:55 AM »
yea its pretty hard to believe people are like denying that global warming is real, i mean come on there is a consensus in the scientific community that it is real and it is indeed a problem.. and yea plants produce CO2 and other gases but not like we do, through cars, factories, and god knows what else we do. so think about it some and try not to be all anti-environment here.. i took an environmental course in school last year and its one of the most interesting classes i ever took, we learned about all these issues and all of the scientific proof to back it up.. i only wish it were not 430 in the morning or I would say more about this, and most likely sound much more intelligent lol but alas that would be impossible at such a late hour...

so try to stay open minded :) yay

**denial is not a river in egypt**
***i heart rossy***

Offline Pistol Gripper

• Resident
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2007 - 04:55:23 AM »
emzvab12,

There is not a concecsus among scientists,  much to the contrary, there are over 19,000 who are willing to publically say thet Global Warming is based on junk science.

Plants breath in CO2 and expell methane & oxygen, so plants need CO2 to live.

And the biggest fact of all is that man only produces LESS than 3 tenths of one percent of the greenhouse gasses.  How are we the cause when nature produces more than 99.7% of the greenhouse gasses?  Think the earth would even notice if we quit ?

On the economic side, by the estimates, based on the Kyoto treaty, it'll cost 100 TRILLION dollars ( that's $100,000,000,000,000 )to reduce the temp 1 degree C.

Yes, definately keep an open mind, don't blindly buy into the media hype.  Remember the 70's when the media was saying we'd all freeze to death because of Global Cooling ?

P.G.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007 - 06:52:58 AM by Pistol Gripper »
O ne
B ig
A $$
M istake
A merica