what do you think about the global warming crisis

Author Topic: what do you think about the global warming crisis  (Read 6623 times)

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: what do you think about the global warming crisis
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2007 - 11:15:12 PM »
I said it before and I ll say it again. Is it really happening--good chance it is--is it our fault --NO---can we stop it- I really doubt it. It is just nature following it's course. Just because some greedy people sway a power hungry wacko in office that doesn't practice what he preaches don't make it so. If you get down to the root of the matter I am sure you will fine someboby is making alot of MONEY off global warming and it will be you and me paying for it.
JS27

:iagree:

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2007 - 05:16:12 AM »
Anybody else read the enviro article about Al Gore in MCG?Spouting off about global warming but owning huge homes,limos and jetting al over the country burning more fossil fuels and electricity in a month than all of us combined!   :villagers:
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline rallyechall

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2007 - 05:22:07 AM »
It won't be true until Michael Moore makes a movie about it. It is the ebb and flow of of the planet. We had moderate to high temperatures until the ice age. Then it got a little colder, killed the dinosaurs, and then low and behold it warmed up again. It is a process that will take millions of years. You me, and our kids children will not see anything happen to the earth in our lifetimes. It is just another thing someone wants us to panic over.

Offline Grundy

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2007 - 05:27:03 AM »
Save the trees, wipe your butt with an owl.
Drive it like you stole it.

Offline Pistol Gripper

• Resident
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2007 - 06:38:16 AM »
OK,

Man makes LESS than 3 tenths of one percent of the Greenhouse gasses produced, the earth itself produces 99.7 percent.  Still think we're causing this? (Even though it probably isn't happenning at all. )

If we do reduce our contribution the cost is about $100K per billionth of one degree allegedly "saved." Guess that means for the bargain price of just $100 trillion we could theoretically lower global mean temperature by about 1 °C.

I'm not selling my childrens future for this politically driven junk science.

P.G.
O ne
B ig
A $$
M istake
A merica

Offline matt63

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2007 - 07:10:58 AM »
sorry mate..not true. There are plenty of scientists who disagree :cheers:

and so starts the "heat" :bigsmile:
Yeah - the ones that are paid by Exxon to create doubt about the issue! :money:

Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline Burpin Chunks

• http://mikescuda.net/cuda-challenger/burpin_chunks
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2007 - 07:16:35 AM »
There is no doubt about global warming in the scientific community.  The doubt is created by those governments and companies who have a lot to lose like Exxon. Unfortunately, there is no quick way of reducing CO2 and we won't be abandoning fossil fuels anytime soon. 

Are these the same scientist that say we came from monkeys?!!!!

Besides we all know illegal immigrants are the reason for global warming.  :villagers:

Offline Pistol Gripper

• Resident
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2007 - 07:23:39 AM »
Matt63,

Here's some info on the scientists that disagree, taken from the Global Warming petition website:

During the past several years, more than 17,100 basic and applied American scientists, two-thirds with advanced degrees, have signed the Global Warming Petition.
Signers of this petition so far include 2,660 physicists, geophysicists, climatologists, meteorologists, oceanographers, and environmental scientists who are especially well qualified to evaluate the effects of carbon dioxide on the Earth's atmosphere and climate.

Signers of this petition also include 5,017 scientists whose fields of specialization in chemistry, biochemistry, biology, and other life sciences (select this link for a listing of these individuals) make them especially well qualified to evaluate the effects of carbon dioxide upon the Earth's plant and animal life.

Nearly all of the initial 17,100 scientist signers have technical training suitable for the evaluation of the relevant research data, and many are trained in related fields. In addition to these 17,100, approximately 2,400 individuals have signed the petition who are trained in fields other than science or whose field of specialization was not specified on their returned petition.

Of the 19,700 signatures that the project has received in total so far, 17,800 have been independently verified and the other 1,900 have not yet been independently verified. Of those signers holding the degree of PhD, 95% have now been independently verified. One name that was sent in by enviro pranksters, Geri Halliwell, PhD, has been eliminated. Several names, such as Perry Mason and Robert Byrd are still on the list even though enviro press reports have ridiculed their identity with the names of famous personalities. They are actual signers. Perry Mason, for example, is a PhD Chemist.

The costs of this petition project have been paid entirely by private donations. No industrial funding or money from sources within the coal, oil, natural gas or related industries has been utilized. The petition's organizers, who include some faculty members and staff of the Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine, do not otherwise receive funds from such sources. The Institute itself has no such funding. Also, no funds of tax-exempt organizations have been used for this project.

P.G.
O ne
B ig
A $$
M istake
A merica

Offline burnt orange

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2007 - 10:31:55 AM »
It's not really global warming anyway, it is Climate Change.  If things go the way they probably will, Europe will become much colder and drier, the Great American Desert will be moving way north, Canada will become the bread basket of the world and Asia, India and Siberia will be uninhabitable.  We are in for big, unpleasant changes. 

There is absolutely no doubt the climate is changing and very rapidly and the change is accelerating...look at the sat pics of the glaciers, rainfall records, temperature graphs.......all evidence of change.  Is it caused by human activity? probably not.  Is human activity contributing to it?  Probably so.  Can we do anything about it?  Not much, but we should try.  Are people going to get rich from our efforts?  Damn right, but they will get rich at our expense anyway, they will find one way or another.  It may as well be this effort, at least then we will be getting screwed for a somewhat valid reason.

Y'know, WE are part of nature.  No less than the dinosaurs and the Bumblebee.  Anything we do is "natural".  There is no doubt that we have made an impact on the earth, but is it "against nature"?  No way.   In 40 billion years or so, the sun is going to go supernova and this little blue ball of ours will just become a black cinder floating in the dark of interstellar space.  No more Polar Bears, or condors and the illegal immigrant problem will be permanently solved.

Does anything we do really matter? 
< ° ) ) >< 

Offline Pistol Gripper

• Resident
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2007 - 10:55:18 AM »
Burnt,

I like the term "Climate Change"  Sure beats the 70's "Global Cooling" or today's "Global Warming"  This way, no matter what happens, the proponents can say "See, I told ya so !" 

I'd rather get screwed over by space exploration or about anything else that furthers science & industry.  P!ssing money down the Global Warming rathole doesn't get me anything, at least space exploration furthered computers, medicine, manufacturing and countless other things.

Now, if you could only explain "Organic" banannas to me ( how the heck could a bananna be inorganic ? ) I can die a happy man.

Good post,

P.G.
O ne
B ig
A $$
M istake
A merica

Offline matt63

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2007 - 10:59:59 AM »
It's not really global warming anyway, it is Climate Change.  If things go the way they probably will, Europe will become much colder and drier, the Great American Desert will be moving way north, Canada will become the bread basket of the world and Asia, India and Siberia will be uninhabitable.  We are in for big, unpleasant changes. 

There is absolutely no doubt the climate is changing and very rapidly and the change is accelerating...look at the sat pics of the glaciers, rainfall records, temperature graphs.......all evidence of change.  Is it caused by human activity? probably not.  Is human activity contributing to it?  Probably so.  Can we do anything about it?  Not much, but we should try.  Are people going to get rich from our efforts?  d**n right, but they will get rich at our expense anyway, they will find one way or another.  It may as well be this effort, at least then we will be getting screwed for a somewhat valid reason...

Does anything we do really matter? 
I agree with most of what you say.  Many years ago my father's employer (a division of Exxon) realized that the CO2 emissions from their fertilizer plant were a problem environmentally.  They couldn't figure out a way of reducing it other than shutting down.  Unfortunately, nuclear energy is great alternative to coal burning power plants.  We are just not quite ready to go there yet!
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline HemiOrange70

• Resident
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2007 - 11:04:36 AM »
I don't know what causes what, but I can tell you in the past our summers were hot. The past 10-15 years they are crazy. Last year hot with  no rain, this year nothing but rain. early 90's it snowed on July 4th (sleet) Our weather is nuts. Are we to blame....who knows. But pumping chemicals and emissions in to the atmosphere can not be good.  :horse:

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2007 - 11:35:57 AM »
How come they haven't addressed the Moon?  We know that it moves further away from the Earth at the rate of 3 centimeters a year!  That is irrefutable.
One day it will be gone and we won't have any tides to surf!  :bigsmile:

:stirpot:

Plus, what is that going to do to the werewolf population?  :poopoke:  Then to add to the issue, the werewolves keep the vampires in check.  So then what?  :poopoke:

Seriously, I am pretty much with Pistol Gripper.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007 - 11:42:20 AM by HemiDog »

Offline King Mopar

• Look what Plymouth 's up to now...
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2007 - 11:49:54 AM »
I said it before and I ll say it again. Is it really happening--good chance it is--is it our fault --NO---can we stop it- I really doubt it. It is just nature following it's course. Just because some greedy people sway a power hungry wacko in office that doesn't practice what he preaches don't make it so. If you get down to the root of the matter I am sure you will fine someboby is making alot of MONEY off global warming and it will be you and me paying for it.
JS27

Al gore inconvieint truth movie cost 3.99 to watch online and think about every enviormentalist who watched and every teacher
Yeah just saving up for a good ole' gasoline burning earth polluting Mopar. Yeah my tally is 1200 so far and im gettin a job soon!

Offline merlin969

• North Carolina
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2007 - 04:10:42 PM »
There is no doubt about global warming in the scientific community.  The doubt is created by those governments and companies who have a lot to lose like Exxon. Unfortunately, there is no quick way of reducing CO2 and we won't be abandoning fossil fuels anytime soon. 

:2thumbs:
1972 Challenger, Nothing special. Just mine.