what do you think about the global warming crisis

Author Topic: what do you think about the global warming crisis  (Read 6611 times)

Offline Pistol Gripper

• Resident
Re: what do you think about the global warming crisis
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2007 - 04:36:42 PM »
Merlin,

The percentages come from:

Current Greenhouse Gas Concentrations (updated October, 2000)
Carbon Dioxide Information Analysis Center
(the primary global-change data and information analysis center of the U.S. Department of Energy)
Oak Ridge, Tennessee

The cost analysis from:

The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) published figures.  They were boiled down here: http://junkscience.com/MSU_Temps/Kyoto_Count_Up.htm

Believe the analysis or not, it's up to each of us, I for one have seen the doomsayers tax me for cooling, warming and now the best one, change.  After 50 some years on this planet, the one thing I know for sure is that there is always change.  Look at the makeup of the atmosphere over the history of the earth.  Wide swings in temp, oxygen and CO2 levels, all before man got here.

P.G.
O ne
B ig
A $$
M istake
A merica

Offline matt63

« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2007 - 06:45:49 PM »
Basic thermal science that (hopefully) everyone can agree on.

Items whether hot or cold transfer temperature to their surroundings. Examples;

The sun heats the earth, while ice cubes cool your ice tea.

So, if we as a society feel the earth is in trouble of overheating, then not adding any additional heat to the earth would be a great place to start, right?

So, think about these;

No heat in your home.

No hot water.

No hot coffee or tea.

No oven.

No campfires.

No fireworks.

No light bulbs.

No hot tub.

No internal combustion or jet engines.

No food at all, even raw actually because the body produces heat as calories are processed.

So, does anyone care to help the earth in it's alleged problem by doing any or all of those things?  :dunno:

These are just scare tactics from those who don't wish to admit there is a problem.  The oil companies know these - just imply that everyone's way of life is at stake. Exxon at least secretly funds the scientists who are paid to say there is no global warming just like these scientists were paid to say smoking has no ill effect.  These guys are up for sale, sort of like educated prostitutes.

Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline emzvab12

• I LOVE ROSS
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2007 - 09:43:34 PM »
nice matt, you are completely right :) finally someone that agrees with me lol.. i was starting to feel lonely... haha
***i heart rossy***

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2007 - 10:22:30 PM »
Exxon at least secretly funds the scientists who are paid to say there is no global warming just like these scientists were paid to say smoking has no ill effect.  These guys are up for sale, sort of like educated prostitutes

You say that the oil companies are paying scientist to say there is no global warming, but the scientist claiming that there is global warming are paying themselves. Think about it, with global warming they can continue to get paid by doing studies like "global warming and its affects on blank" Without the so called "man-made global warming" they are out of a job. How can scientist accurately say what the temperature will be in 10,20, or 50 years from now....when they cannot accurately say what the temperature will be tomorrow.
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2007 - 10:32:21 PM »
There is global warming but it's natural, there is also global cooling. They have not been tracking temps nearly long enough to come to a conclusion, that would take hundreds of years of data collecting and analasys. Do you know how long it took for the ice age to come about? Of course you don't but research show it took 10,000 or so years, not a freak meteor, to kick it off.
I think some scientists are mistaking trends in weather patterns for global warming. Chicken Little types.

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2007 - 05:14:53 AM »

• Average temperatures have climbed 1.4 degrees Fahrenheit (0.8 degree Celsius) around the world since 1880, much of this in recent decades, according to NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies.

What were they using back in 1880 to accurately measure the temperature of the earth?A couple guys stand out in thier backyards with a thermometer?Anyone have a thermometer from 1880-I wonder how accurate it is compared to todays sattelite data?
Even if the temp has rose 1-2 degrees in 100 years as has been repatedly said the earth has been here for billions of years and we think we know everything from 100 years of questionable data.
A couple lod sayings come to mind here-
Beleive non of what you here and half of what you see.
There are three sides to every story,yours,mine and the truth.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline Pistol Gripper

• Resident
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2007 - 08:08:26 AM »
Just so no one thinks of me as being completely unfeeling, I've decided to do what I can to reduce my Carbon Footprint ( catchy isn't it ? ).  I will:

1.  Increase personal use of ethanol derived from grape biomass and various grains and cereals.

2.  Gain weight - fat people are composed of more carbon than skinny people, thus keeping more carbon out of the environment.

3.  Reduce global methane emissions by eating more farm animals.

4.  Avoid spicy foods to reduce personal emissions. (OK, I probably won't )

P.G.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2007 - 10:01:43 AM by Pistol Gripper »
O ne
B ig
A $$
M istake
A merica

Offline matt63

« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2007 - 09:31:22 AM »
I would be happy to receive advice on reducing my personal methane emissions (not to be confused with hot air emissions)  :roflsmiley:
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2007 - 10:49:17 AM »
Just so no one thinks of me as being completely unfeeling, I've decided to do what I can to reduce my Carbon Footprint ( catchy isn't it ? ).  I will:

1.  Increase personal use of ethanol derived from grape biomass and various grains and cereals.

2.  Gain weight - fat people are composed of more carbon than skinny people, thus keeping more carbon out of the environment.

3.  Reduce global methane emissions by eating more farm animals.

4.  Avoid spicy foods to reduce personal emissions. (OK, I probably won't )
er
P.G.

:roflsmiley:

I'm also going to pitch in by doing the following...

* Invent a personal EGR valve, so that all personal emissions can be recycled before being let out into the atmosphere.

* Take up Yoga, so that I can reduce carbon dioxide emissions by breathing only once a day.

* Tape a plastic bag to my dogs butt, to eliminate methane emissions, and to allow me to throw away my Pooper Scooper.

Offline emzvab12

• I LOVE ROSS
« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2007 - 11:01:55 AM »
ah too bad you guys can't take this seriously :(

anyways lol im done on this topic there is no convincing you, one day you will see you are wrong ha..

:wavingflag: :wavingflag: :wavingflag:

***i heart rossy***

Offline rallyechall

« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2007 - 11:06:29 AM »
So are we saying that combustion and fire are what is leading to our depleted atmosphere? Damn those F'in cavemen for discovering fire and how to use it. How dare they start something that would destroy our way of life 790,000 years later. They should have just left it where they found it and not endangered us like that.

Offline matt63

« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2007 - 11:43:39 AM »

anyways lol im done on this topic there is no convincing you, one day you will see you are wrong ha..

We may not all agree but at least we can talk about the issue and still be friends.   ;D
I kinda hope I'm wrong on this global warming issue because I think it will take mankind many years to big changes on this issue.  Coal burning power plants and other industrial processes will not be replaced quickly.  Newly developing countries are many, many years away from being concerned about these issues.
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2007 - 04:39:00 PM »

:wavingflag: :wavingflag: :wavingflag:

And you driving your SUV will just make that day come sooner.If you are truly worried about global warming you are certainly not doing much to help.  :dunno:
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline emzvab12

• I LOVE ROSS
« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2007 - 04:47:05 PM »
lol i suppose not, but neither is anyone else in here that denies it..

:) i just take the car that my parents give me lol.. can't do much about that

maybe if america invested more in public transportation people wouldnt have to drive their cars everywhere and it would be not only easier to get around, but faster most likely, and better for the environment :) but alas our public transportation sucks.. for those of us out of a major city comparable to NYC....
***i heart rossy***

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2007 - 05:06:28 PM »
Up until now, I've stayed out of this. Please know what I say is light hearted. The dinosaur's couldn't adapt to climate change and parished. Maybe we will too, and something else will rule the world?  :dunno: Just know that it will be Waaay in the future, and I think we are all worrying about nothing now. Just my 2 pennies worth.  :2cents: If anything it is cleaner now. I grew up in Pittsburgh, and I know what soot covered buildings look like from the steel mills. They aren't like that anymore. Heck, they even took lead out of the gas and paint.  :stomp:   :lol:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.