Author Topic: Aluminum Rad Recommendations?  (Read 5693 times)

Offline Challenger73318

Re: Aluminum Rad Recommendations?
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2007 - 07:09:12 PM »
I dropped one of these into my Challenger.  It took over from a 26" stock radiator.  Works great!  I don't have a shroud yet, but I'm hoping to get one in the next couple of weeks.  Can't beat the price though....

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2D380459&N=700+400304+115&autoview=sku

There's another sku number for the same radiator with the inlet / outlet hoses reversed.  Forgot to mention, bolts up to the stock rad holes.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007 - 07:16:44 PM by Challenger73318 »

Offline matt63

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2007 - 05:13:52 PM »
Bought a Flexalite 1500 cfm pusher fan for $100 including relay.  I'll let everyone know how this works.  It good be an inexpensive fix for borderline cooling systems or an aux fan for my new aluminum rad if it doesn't work out. :roflsmiley:
I installed the aux fan.  It didn't help one bit. Perhaps its not an airflow issue.  I might try an aluminum rad with the belt drive fan next.
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline GreenFish

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2007 - 06:59:56 PM »
I dropped one of these into my Challenger.  It took over from a 26" stock radiator.  Works great!  I don't have a shroud yet, but I'm hoping to get one in the next couple of weeks.  Can't beat the price though....

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2D380459&N=700+400304+115&autoview=sku

There's another sku number for the same radiator with the inlet / outlet hoses reversed.  Forgot to mention, bolts up to the stock rad holes.

I have a very similar radiator. Think its made by the same company. It cools my 440 off with no problem at all. Its not the best looking radiator in the world and it doesnt look stock at all. But it works great. After I bought mine two of my buddies bought the same one for their cars and they love them also.

YOu can sort of modify the stock shroud to work with it too. I use my stock clutch fan.

Mancini racing has "stock appearing" alum radiators now but they are pricey. They have shrouds on them as well.
70 cuda, 440, KB pistons, 10.5:1 compression, edlebrock heads,RacerBrown cam, 5-Speed Tremec, Megasquirt EFI

Offline matt63

More Questions
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2007 - 09:25:38 AM »
After looking at the rad support and the available room I think I'll look for some other options before going from a 22" to a 26" rad.  There is not alot of room and the battery and tray are definitely in the way.  I can see lots of challenges.  Has anybody successfully cooled 450 hp (408 stroker) with any kind of 22 inch rad? One thing I did notice is that  I do not have a spring in my lower rad hose.  I'll fix this tonight but I don't think it is the problem.  Freeway cruising still runs 205F (2000 - 2300 rpm) and I stay out of heavy traffic for fear of overheating. Thanks.
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2007 - 01:35:23 PM »

Okay, first assumption that has been made all along is that your 22" radiator is in good condition. All the tubes are intact, there is no build up or electrolysis happening inside the unit to restrict flow. Is that true? Also, are you running an automatic trans and using the stock in radiator cooler? This can add substantial unintended heat to the system.

Here is an experiement that will only cost you time and a thermostat gasket.

Remove the thermostat and drive over your normal route/routine. If the heat condition gets worse, then the coolant is going through your system to rapidly. If the heat stays the same then you need to speed up the coolant flow.

If you need to slow down the coolant, replace the thermostat with a restrictor, which is a flat piece of metal with a hole in it. The hole size can be changed until you reach the right amount of coolant flow. Start with 1/2".

If you need to speed up the coolant, then drill a few 1/8" holes into the thermostat plate to allow coolant to continue to flow during the warming process or leave the thermostat out altogether.

The other option is to overdrive or underdrive the water pump pulley. A bigger pump pulley drives it slower, a smaller pulley drives it faster. You also can add a plate to the back of the water pump impeller to aid in the efficiency of the impellers ability to move coolant.

I also believe you need to have the pressure on the radiator cap checked out as well. A weak spring in the cap will not allow the coolant to absorb as much heat as a good cap. Every pound of pressure in a cap raises the boiling point 2 degrees. So a 20# cap raises the boiling point from 212f to 252f. That means the coolant can absorb and disapate more heat before it turns to vapor than it can with a weak cap.

Offline matt63

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2007 - 01:55:24 PM »
Thanks HP2.  The rad was recored and only has 200 miles on it.  I know I have some ground wires attached to the rad mounting bolts so I'm going to rectify this!  The car is a manual and now has a high flow 160 thermostat in it.  The water pump is an MP high flow unit. I have a new rad cap and the car doesn't boil over.  If I can't find a 22 inch aluminum rad rated for this service I might try to speed up the water pump and use a clutch.  I know some of the rad mfg's make a 2 core 1.25" tube diameter (Griffin) that should outperform the typical 1" tube rads.  I'm going to check pulley sizes tonight.
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2007 - 10:52:02 AM »
I am following this thread and am interested in your results. The 340 in my 72 Cuda is stock and has always run hotter than it should. I am working on getting a second source of indication to confirm what the factory guage is showing. Also am readjusting timing and considering carb tweaking/replacement to ensure there are no induced causes for the overheating condition. My setup is:

stock 340 with stock cam
stock 26" rad modified to 3 row
dual electric fans and shroud from Mystique/Contour
March Performance pulleys on crank and WP

I did go back to the fixed 7blade fan with little or no change in temps. Would like to keep the dual electrics if I can. Given stock vs. aluminum rad with same cores, is the aluminum unit that much more efficient? Most dealers advertise as much as 20o temp decrease - is that just hype?
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
07' Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl cab in Speedway Blue!
01' Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline matt63

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2007 - 11:38:41 AM »
Sounds like it should work.  My engine has 460 hp est. so it is pushing the cooling system.
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant

Offline oldkimmer

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2007 - 02:48:23 AM »
1 of the biggest problems with a mopar cooling system is its inability to cool at hi flow rates..........a 160 thermostat does not keep the coolant in the rad long enough, a 180 does a pretty good job of it, but mopars were designed to run a 195 t stat.........all it will cost to cure ur overheating problem is a 195 t stat, gasket and some time.......I have cured many so called overheating problems with a 195 t stat than with bigger rads.....also flex fans whether metal or plastic r junk........try this and u will see that temp gauge where u want it to be.....some people feel 195 is to hot, but considering what an overheated motor will cost u , I think ir is a good trade off.......
The beast has been unleashed........Thems the hazzards..........Unleash the beast......

Offline matt63

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2007 - 08:46:22 AM »
...My setup is:

stock 340 with stock cam
stock 26" rad modified to 3 row
dual electric fans and shroud from Mystique/Contour
March Performance pulleys on crank and WP

After looking at this again I do have one concern and that is the air flow with your fans.  I just bought the Flexalite 22 inch aluminum rad w/single fan and it moves 3300 cfm wide open.  That's alot of air.  I've got my fingers crossed. :icon16:
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant

Offline matt63

Update: Aluminum Rad
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2007 - 06:44:08 PM »
I installed the Flexalite 22 inch rad w/ single 3300 cfm fan today.  It's one slick unit.  It fit perfectly with a 1/4" to spare on either side (just enough room for the battery tray).  The rad adjusts up/down and side to side with the unique mounting brackets.  I had to size up some new rad hoses and the electrical was pretty straight forward.  It's 90F today and I warmed it up in the driveway.  The fan came on at 180 and seemed to have no problem keeping it there.  I'll get it on a road test tomorrow after I secure all of the wiring.  It's looking very promising so far.  I'll get some pics too.

Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2007 - 06:59:53 PM »
Super news matt....hope this is THE solution....oh yea

:useless:
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2007 - 07:30:58 PM »
so hows that Flex-a-lite working for you?
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
07' Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl cab in Speedway Blue!
01' Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
Re: Update: Aluminum Rad
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2007 - 10:22:35 PM »
I installed the Flexalite 22 inch rad w/ single 3300 cfm fan today.  It's one slick unit.  It fit perfectly with a 1/4" to spare on either side (just enough room for the battery tray).  The rad adjusts up/down and side to side with the unique mounting brackets.  I had to size up some new rad hoses and the electrical was pretty straight forward.  It's 90F today and I warmed it up in the driveway.  The fan came on at 180 and seemed to have no problem keeping it there.  I'll get it on a road test tomorrow after I secure all of the wiring.  It's looking very promising so far.  I'll get some pics too.

(This is just my experience) You said the fan came on and kept the temp at 180, did the fan turn back off? If the fan doesn't "cycle" on - off - on - off, it isn't going to work to well. Also was this with the hood up? Idling the car in the driveway with the hood up is about the least heat load you can put on a cooling system. If the fan won't cycle in the driveway with the hood down, don't expect too much when you are out on the road. Also the electric fan isn't needed over about 25mph, and can block airflow through the radiator if it is running at those road speeds.
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline matt63

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2007 - 08:32:50 AM »
So far I've only had the car a out a few times so I'm still reserving judgment.  It's been quite warm here (for Edmonton) and I haven't had any problems but the rad definitely won't keep the temps at 180F when it's 90F out.  The fan does move alot of air at idle compared to the belt drive fan. I've been trying to get the fan thermostat set to come on at 185 - 190 F but I'm not there yet.  I borrowed an infrared temp gun yesterday to double check the temp gauge readings but I didn't get too far after breaking my drive shaft (see my other post from last night).  I'm not sure where to "shoot" the temps as pointing the gun at the aluminum intake or rad gives low readings.  Pointing it at the rad hose gives better readings but they are still at least 5 degrees low.  Perhaps the temp gauge is out a bit.  I could pull the probe and test it in boiling water.   The temp gauge certainly does seem to creep up to 195-200 but it never overheats.  I would like to verify that the pump is putting out (it's a new MP high volume unit) but I'm  not sure how to do this.  As you can tell I go on a bit of a crusade over these things.  It's a hobby. :icon16:
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant