Author Topic: Tranny Problems 68 Charger  (Read 620 times)

Offline Lunchbox

Tranny Problems 68 Charger
« on: July 04, 2007 - 03:58:36 PM »
I went for a ride in my buddys 68 Charger with a 383 and a 4 speed hurst shifter. His tranny is acting up and I said I would post it on here to see if anyone on here could help. Here are the symptons...

-Hard to shift into 1st and 2nd
-Not much room to shift (short thoughs or gates?). Seems that 50% of the time when he is trying to shift into 1st in goes into third
-When he shifts into 1st its really hard to get it into gear and when it goes in it makes a clunking noise.

Thanks in advance for responses.

Lunch

Offline Lunchbox

Re: Tranny Problems 68 Charger
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007 - 06:23:57 PM »
 :popcorn:

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007 - 06:30:54 PM »
:popcorn:

Sounds like a couple of possibilities to me.  It could be either, or a combination of the two.  My first step would be to install new bushings in the shifter linkage if that hasn't been done in a long while.  Then adjust the linkage to get it like you want it.
Next, it sounds like maybe the clutch isn't disengaging all the way and not allowing clean shifts.  Try a clutch adjustment and the shifter bushings/adjustment and see if that doesn't help.  It doesn't sound like an internal tranny problem to me, and I would try the easy stuff first before diving into the tranny.  Just my 0.02....    :cooldancing:   
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007 - 02:40:53 PM »
Like Oldscool said.  Adjust the clutch linkage first.  Then the rods,   Then for the tight shifter problem, I would either take off the boot or squeeze a WD-40 straw down between the shifter handle and boot, then start HOSING it.   Keep spraying back and forth and side to side till it starts coming out clean.  You will have a big greasy spor under the car so do it over your friends driveway.   Keep working the shifter as you spray it out till it starts moving freely.    Our shifters hang out there in the dirt.  Newer ones either were inside the car, inside the tranny, or inside a rubber bag that kept the dirt out.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0