Author Topic: Safety Tip - Seat Belts  (Read 3392 times)

Offline xblade

Re: Safety Tip - Seat Belts
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2007 - 08:17:24 PM »
There is an article in one of the current car mags about seatbelt upgrades. I'm sorry that I cant tell you the exact one as I was flipping thru them all at the bookstore. Surely someone else has seen this.

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2007 - 10:04:57 PM »
Hit a pine tree in my 76 LTD several years ago...shoulder belt saved me :thumbsup: I plan to have my original belts restored.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007 - 10:07:26 PM by RusTy/SE »
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=27173.0
Member since December 13, 2002

Offline loco440

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2007 - 07:43:13 PM »
Hi NZ,Im going to use the same belts as you have used,going to get them trade from Repco, do you still have the part numbers for the front seat belts,it shall save me time scratching through the cattledog,thanks.

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2007 - 01:54:09 PM »
BACK TO MY ORIGINAL QUESTION..... I've seen some fraying, and more commonly worn retractors, Ive seen belts cut by the EMT's but...... BELTS just don't break.    :nono:

I beg to differ with you Big, but they DO! Several years ago an off-duty state cop was driving down the road in his Dodge Ram pickup (I believe it was a 97 model or thereabouts) and a kid ran a stopsign and hit the right side bed area of the truck. The impact spun the truck around and the cop's seatbelt broke and he was ejected from the vehicle and killed. I was on duty at the time and saw the broken belt at the scene! About two years later my wife and I were traveling down I-10 and I saw a white pickup traveling the opposite direction drift off the shoulder and then the driver over corrected and put the truck sideways, then it flipped several times before coming to rest in the side ditch on it's tires. I got turned around and went back to the scene and my wife and I did what we could for the lady driving the pickup, but she died before the ambulance got there. The Pickup was a new Nissan full size pickup, and the woman was ejected from it during the crash. I checked the truck for other occupants, and sure enough, the seatbelt was broken. The end was still in the buckle!
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2007 - 08:44:19 PM »
Hi NZ,Im going to use the same belts as you have used,going to get them trade from Repco, do you still have the part numbers for the front seat belts,it shall save me time scratching through the cattledog,thanks.

Sorry mate, I missed this thread. I don't have the pamphlet or invoice any more (or can't find it).
But, I went out and had a look and the retractable front belts numbers are as follows:

Part #: 511709001A
AS/NZ52596 Lie No: 20

:2thumbs:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline loco440

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2007 - 07:17:57 AM »
Thanks Carl,shal hunt that part number down,I was going to get originals rebuilt but no one in Aus will do it due to adr rules so looks like its easier to go after market.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2007 - 08:55:57 AM »
UV will distroy the belts over the years , Race cars a re forced to replace them every year , but the tracks will still let you run with 40 year old factory belts as long as you do not have a roll bar in the car 

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2007 - 06:13:44 AM »
Thanks Carl,shal hunt that part number down,I was going to get originals rebuilt but no one in Aus will do it due to adr rules so looks like its easier to go after market.

No worries mate. They're great belts, not factory by any means but safety first I say. I basically wanted them for the soul purpose of being able to use the retractable belt, moving forward freely is a freedom every E-Body or muscle car owner should enjoy IMO....try reaching the glove box etc with factory belts lol. Best of luck with yours. Post an update when you get the chance, I'd like to know how you get on.

:cheers:

Offline 500Stroker

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2007 - 07:57:06 AM »
I switched mine out to the Wesco's.  Nice belts.  (model # WELR-L)  They even have an extender where the shoulder belt attaches to the ceiling so you don't get choked as bad as the original style.

http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/resebe.html

« Last Edit: July 16, 2007 - 07:58:44 AM by 500Stroker »

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2007 - 03:05:10 PM »
I switched mine out to the Wesco's.  Nice belts. 

Hey stroker, yours looks similiar to the generic brand I bought from JC Whitney.  Does your section next to the console fit ok?  Mine had a bend that wouldn't stay, and it keeps falling down between seat, it's a pain.

I'd like to find a version that has a stiff section like on the newer cars.

Offline 500Stroker

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2007 - 03:08:08 PM »
Yes both belts fit fine against the console and stay in the upright position like they should.  Mine have a bend also that tilts them towards the seat and away from the console.

Offline bordin34

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2007 - 03:11:24 PM »
I will be getting XV belts once my charger is registered.

1973 Charger SE Brougham Black 400 auto
1974 Charger SE Brougham Blue 318 auto-SOLD

Offline 500Stroker

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2007 - 03:15:07 PM »
They are the same as the wesco's except for the logo.  Nice belts.  The price is even the same now.

Offline loco440

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2007 - 05:35:12 AM »
Hi Carl its me again,I blew an email to www.autoliv.com.au with those numbers you gave me and they said those numbers were to do with the type of belt webbing and not the type of a particular belt design for each vehicle,if you could scratch up the box part number Id apreciate it,if you cant its ok.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2007 - 08:54:05 AM »

Hey mate, dangit, wasn't sure as that was the only part #s I could see. Sorry to say the box is long gone, in fact I never got my hands on them, the installer installed them and took care of the boxes and mess left over (to the dump).

Bugger. What I'd do is just go in if you can or ask for a catalogue and go through and pick the belts you like. They're all the same basically. Tell them you want stiff "stalks?" and a retractable system with lap belts for the rear.

:2cents: :thumbsup: