Author Topic: Finally got my Headlight relays hooked up  (Read 1867 times)

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
Finally got my Headlight relays hooked up
« on: July 08, 2007 - 12:09:57 PM »
I decided to add 3 relays to power the running lights, low beams and high beams.  Didn't want them to stick out, so I mounted them under the battery tray.  Worked out pretty good, and the lights are definitely brighter.

Only thing visible from the top is the mini-fuse holder.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Finally got my Headlight relays hooked up
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007 - 06:59:49 PM »
good Job , nice upgrade , the headlight switch will last forever this way  :2thumbs:

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline ROMI

• 71 Challenger R/T 340 4 speed, Lapeer Michigan
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007 - 07:27:58 PM »
Pardon my ignorance but what made you decide to do this?  My car runs great but at night with the lights on, when I pull up to a stop my lights go so dim that I can barely see the dash.  Not that it's just the dash light but the headlights and taillights too.  Besides new harnesses is this a fix for my situation?  I'm stumped !

Offline Devil

• Forward, Together Forward
    • Ryan's Cars in Barns
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007 - 09:14:45 PM »
Pardon my ignorance but what made you decide to do this?  My car runs great but at night with the lights on, when I pull up to a stop my lights go so dim that I can barely see the dash.  Not that it's just the dash light but the headlights and taillights too.  Besides new harnesses is this a fix for my situation?  I'm stumped !

I assume you are running the original harness?  If you are, you really should upgrade to a relay style wiring setup for your headlights.  This takes the power away from the dash and goes right to the relay, and to the headlights, instead of through the dash, then to the headlights.  The headlight switch will now just be used to close a circuit instead of completing one.  This makes them much brighter, and no more dimming.

Ryan
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007 - 09:23:11 PM by Devil »
Ryan's Cars in Barns

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hemipwr70/
http://carsinbarns.blogspot.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
71 Challenger R/T Clone
69 Charger R/T SE
70 Barracuda
74 Dart Swinger
93 RamCharger
88 Caprice Classic Brougham

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007 - 03:05:56 AM »
 :thumbsup:  Looks great, the relay make a big difference, that is high on my list of must do's especially as I am also upping the wattage of the headlights.

One other relay I will be installing is one that will automatically turn off the headlights when the ignition is turned off, I have left them on once already but realized straight away. That one can be tucked away under the dash out of sight.  :2thumbs:

Dave

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007 - 04:24:36 AM »

Same exact problem I was having.  Here is some good info:

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/brighter-headlights.shtml

Offline ROMI

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007 - 11:54:02 AM »
Thank you !
That looks like what I need.  So I assume the stock alternator is adequate for the job but it's the old stock wiring that was the culprit?
If that's the case, will my dash and taillights improve without the headlight load on that circuit ?

Sorry for all the dumb questions but I'm old and slow !

Offline 71 DEPUTY

• IF YOU CAN'T DODGE IT--RAM IT!
    • Cardomain
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007 - 02:29:29 PM »
Thank you !
That looks like what I need.  So I assume the stock alternator is adequate for the job most for these years was a 55-65 amp alt- yep was good!!!
 but it's the old stock wiring that was the culprit?
NO- NOT REALLY- WHAT THE PROBLEM IS THAT AFTER 30 YEARS OF WORKING, THE HEADLIGHT SWITCHES INTERNAL CIRCUIT BREAKER GETS WEAK AND CAUSES THE HEADLIGHTS TO GO OFF AND ON. ( SORRY ABOUT CAPS! ) and there is about 9 connections before the power goes to the headlights- so there is about a 2-3 volt drop- so dim headlights!!!

If that's the case, will my dash and taillights improve without the headlight load on that circuit ? somewhat- but remember that all the power also goes thru the bulkhead connections- alt's will put out from 35 to 65 amps and those connections only will pass about 30-35 amps totally- so then you have a connection that has resistance so then you get heat and then melt down happens!!!!

Sorry for all the dumb questions but I'm old and slow ! not so- that is what this site is about!!!!!!

another thing is the car at idle- dimming of the lights- the alt is turning over- but just not enought to produce enough current to satisfy every draw from the car- only way is to put a smaller pully on the alt. or change the alt. to one that can output current at a low idle speed!!!

John Mac

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007 - 03:03:14 PM »
Thank you !
That looks like what I need.  So I assume the stock alternator is adequate for the job but it's the old stock wiring that was the culprit?
If that's the case, will my dash and taillights improve without the headlight load on that circuit ?

I think the stock 60A alternator is plenty.  Wiring scheme is definitely the problem.  My lights used to dim when I was idling, if the A/C was on, I'd have to put the car in neutral, or there was major discharge.  I did the ampmeter bypass, put the A/C compressor and fan on a relay, and now the headlights are on relays.  Dash lights no longer flicker, No problem now!

http://www.allpar.com/history/mopar/electrical.html
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007 - 03:35:16 PM by Katfish »

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007 - 04:01:23 PM »
Thank you !

For what it's worth, I haven't seen the dashlights in any stock setup shine to my satisfaction. I replaced my dimmer switch with a toggle, and they are bright as can be.  :thumbsup:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007 - 05:05:43 PM »
For what it's worth, I haven't seen the dashlights in any stock setup shine to my satisfaction. I replaced my dimmer switch with a toggle, and they are bright as can be.  :thumbsup:

Mike

:iagree:  I soldered a jumper wire across the variable resistor on the dimmer switch and mine are bright all the time.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007 - 05:25:31 PM »
:iagree:  I soldered a jumper wire across the variable resistor on the dimmer switch and mine are bright all the time.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that got creative.  :wave:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline ROMI

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2007 - 06:00:57 PM »
As for my dash lights they're nice and bright when I'm crusin but the slower I go the worse it gets.  At an idle I have my nose stuck through the steering wheel trying to see.

Great information everybody. Thanks to all.
Guess I have a new project now. The light thing has been bugging me for a long time.

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2007 - 07:00:18 PM »
When I got my Challey back in '75 lights dimming was not an issue, as time rolled on I started noticing more issues of this nature, I remember you could hear the heater blower change pitch with the blinkers...Anyway I went on a spree to resolve the problem...1st thing was new brushes in the alt., then went about polishing every terminal & ground contact from the alt, to the voltage regulator, battery to the body, motor ground strap to body...in the end things were back to normal with no noticeable dimming..... except when I had the stereo maxed out..
Today I'd include some dielectric grease to inhibit corrosion & improve contact.   
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline RabidScott

• Work in Progress
    • waywardgarage.com
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2007 - 03:51:31 PM »
This is one of the best upgrades you can do to your old car!

1970 Dodge Challenger
13.9 @ 101 with stock internally 440, OD 4 speed, 3.23 LSD

WaywardGarage.com