Author Topic: Grandpa's Growler - opinions?  (Read 3789 times)

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
Grandpa's Growler - opinions?
« on: July 09, 2007 - 03:26:53 PM »
So alright I gotta be honest, the dinner at Grandpa's Growler was less than desirable...

I mean I realize we had a sizable crowd and only two waitresses handling things, but waiting an hour to get food - that stunk!

Plus I really have to say the food was pretty bad.  My wife's onion rings were burnt, her chicken dinner was very dry and overcooked, our chili fries were soggy, and it took 20 minutes for 4C and I to get our second round of drinks.

There are a lot of really good places to eat with the same ambiance, "cultured dishes," if you will, and pricing.  The first that pops to mind is "Your Place" - YP it's called - that is awesome.  Two pool tables, buffets, a nice big bar, and a nice hefty menu.  I'm sure with advanced notice, they could cater a group our size with little problems.  I heard that Doc Hollidays - near the hotel - was great too.  I've never eaten there myself, but I'm tempted to check it out.  There's also a new place that's in Mechanicsburg (between the hotel and Carlisle) called the Coliseum.  Actually there was a coupon for this place on the inside cover of the program.  Now I haven't been there yet, but it's hugely popular, and very large in size.  It's got a bowling alley, lots of adult-oriented arcade games, two bars, a restaurant, pool tables, etc.  I don't know prices, but it's on my list of places to visit here very soon.

Bottom line is, I know this area, and I know this club, and the C-C.C guys (and gals!) deserve better!

Now I open this thread for discussion...

Jeff
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline purple1

• Worlds first e-body trailer. Member since 3/10/05
Re: Grandpa's Growler - opinions?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007 - 03:33:03 PM »
 :iagree:

Dave :wave:

Dave

Worlds first e-body trailer.    Severna Park, Maryland

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007 - 03:43:54 PM »
Last year we pretty much gave them the benefit of doubt on service. This year was the same though. 3 hour dinners don't cut it. I didn't know Jimi Hendrix was going to show up either.  :o  :eek7:

I think the steak house we found Friday night by our Hotel was the perfect spot. They had no trouble handling us, and the food was good. April even gave a HUUUGE tip.  :poopoke:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline purple1

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007 - 03:58:42 PM »
April even gave a HUUUGE tip.  :poopoke:

Mike

:lol2:

Yea, just tell them April will be back next year... :stirpot:

Dave

Offline fishn4cuda

• Cuda Fan!
  • Ft. Jennings, OH
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007 - 04:10:40 PM »
:lol2:

Yea, just tell them April will be back next year... :stirpot:

:smilielol:
Cant kill the mean and ugly. Only the good die young...I plan to be here a while!!

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007 - 04:39:24 PM »
 I have to agree , first we have outgrown the Growler , second we need a restaurant not a bar this will lower the # of drunks hitting our cars, 3rd the food if anythign is getting worse at GG , I had to ask the waitress 3 times to get my mountain dew , Yup no Root Beer unless you want it by the bottle way overpriced , the dew took well over 1 hr to arrive , lastly my Soggy fries , Umm I mean spicy fries while they tasted good were basically uncooked
 We can do better
 BTW I did want to get a group pic outside , not enough room inside , but everyone wanted to leave ASAP I can`t blame them

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline moparmuscle1970

• Travelin' Man
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007 - 06:21:31 PM »
You guys should eat at the hoss's steak house down the road, its great food, good service, and decent prices. Plus there is plenty of room, and its maybe a minute away from the fairgrounds. After we walked around on saturday, it was great to sit down, have a steak, a cool drink, and listen to the conversation about the show!
1970 Barracuda- #'s matching
1970 Challenger- work in progress
1970 Plymouth Superbird- #'s matching (dad's)

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007 - 06:30:39 PM »
Only problem with Hoss's is that they're A) kinda pricey B) don't serve ANY alcohol (granted not 100% necessary) and though the restaurants are plenty large enough, they don't cater well to large groups - dividers between tables and booths and such.

As next year draws near (can't believe I gotta wait 12 more friggin' months!) let me talk to some of the local Your Place restaurants, and maybe the Coliseum - I think they have potential.  If not, Doc Holiday's would be the way to go.  Then we could just park at the hotel and walk over!

Jeff

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007 - 06:35:29 PM »
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007 - 07:09:16 PM »
 :2thumbs: Walking sure beats driving, well not really but it sure makes sense. And Jeff you certainly have the advantage of being a local guy with the area being your back yard. I counted 46 or 47 people there Saturday (a couple were member guest) too many for GG as one group. I brought this up much eariler when we first started talking about Carlisle 2007, but it was decided since we really did't have any other information or knowlege of other reasonably close places to try again. So personally if Jeff is willing to do the leg work I'd say let him make the Saturday night arrangements next year.........give this old fart a break, OK ? I guess that Doc Hollidays has a larger room they may be willing to set aside for our group, that then would put us together and by ourselves as a group. That would have to be a plus.
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007 - 07:57:56 PM »
We have a long time to decide so I'm sure the leg work won't be a problem.  But I also counted 45 or so members so we definitely need to keep that in mind and secure a nice place that can meet our needs!!  A pool table won't hurt my feelings either! 

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007 - 09:12:01 PM »
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=27173.0
Member since December 13, 2002

Offline inot2old

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2007 - 02:59:08 PM »
I certainly appreciated WSM making the arrangements with Grandpas again this year.  But I agree, we have outgrown the place.  I also could have done without the live music.   Probably for a group the size that we had a buffet would work best. 
'71 Cuda 

'70 Charger project
'05 Crossfire Roadster

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2007 - 03:06:49 PM »

That is the coolest emoticon I've ever seen...   :)

My wife and I are going to check out the Coliseum this weekend and see what it has to offer.  I know it has pool tables, I'm just not sure as to whether it can handle groups.  I'll find out though.

Jeff

Offline purple1

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2007 - 03:24:06 PM »
My wife and I are going to check out the Coliseum this weekend and see what it has to offer.  I know it has pool tables, I'm just not sure as to whether it can handle groups.  I'll find out though.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff.  :cheers: Do what you can. But we do have some time to think about it.

One thought, this thing may get even bigger next year, maybe renting a place for the night and get food brought in???

Dave