Author Topic: Daily driver, which one would you drive?  (Read 2338 times)

Offline MyMopar

Daily driver, which one would you drive?
« on: July 11, 2007 - 09:10:07 AM »
Which one would you rather have for a daily driver?

2005 Crossfire SRT-6 (supercharged 330hp, 0-60 5 secs qtr 13.1)

2006-7 Charger w/5.7 (0-60 5.2 secs, qtr 13.4)

Now forget about anything else like passenger space and luggage because I know the Charger has way more more.  I also know that I can easily upgrade the Charger's power, add performance hoods and the like also.

My only set back with the Charger is that I don't care that Chrysler named it that, perhaps I can get some other name badging on it.
1969 (OO===]|[===OO)
1973 (OO/=====\OO) <---SOLD
1997 (O|||||O) <---SOLD

Smoke tires, not drugs!

Offline go-fish

• Resident
Re: Daily driver, which one would you drive?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007 - 09:26:30 AM »
My mother had both, well her Crossfire was a regular model not SRT. Her Charger was a Daytona pkg. She now drives a , gasp, Avalanche.
I have driven both, spirtedly. The Crossfire has a higher "seat of the pants" factor. Even the R/T model Charger felt sluggish even though I knew it was a hoss. The Crossfire "feels" fast and quick because because of it's size. Plus it gets better MPG.
I told my dad he should get some Coronet badges and put on there. They came in 4 doors.

Offline Pistol Gripper

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007 - 09:39:04 AM »
Sorry, can't vote for either.

Charger - 4 doors.

Can't think of one time i'd want to be caught in a crossfire.

P.G.
O ne
B ig
A $$
M istake
A merica

Offline MyMopar

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007 - 12:12:16 PM »
Sorry, can't vote for either.

Charger - 4 doors.

Can't think of one time i'd want to be caught in a crossfire.

P.G.

I know, the whole 4 door thing for the Charger name is holding me back.  What other product does Mopar make that is quick?  Crossfire is the only other one.

I did just start looking at getting a 71-2 Dodge Demon 340, put EFI on the motor, swap the trans for an OD unit and add the Alterkation front end.  All this could be done for the same cost, maybe even less depending on the cost of the car.  Thing is I don't want to work anymore on a daily driver, so the car would have to be complete needing only minor finishing touches and the work I mentioned above, NO BODY WORK!
1969 (OO===]|[===OO)
1997 (O|||||O) <---SOLD

Smoke tires, not drugs!

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007 - 02:13:57 PM »
I've driven a charger R/T and a crossfire(my mom's daily driver) and of the two I would much rather have the crossfire. Although my mom's car is a regular crossfire, it is more fun to drive then the charger R/T. The only thing I dont like about the car is that it isnt terribly fast, which is taken care of on the SRT model. As long as a two seater wouldnt be a problem for your family, you should like it. I say go test drive both and see which one you like more :thumbsup: One more thing, I dont know where you got those Charger R/T's 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, but they seem way too fast.
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007 - 05:16:18 PM »
You said daily driver, so I don't see where the Crossfire would be practical.  :screwy: You can't take a few friends out for lunch, or go shopping for more than a bag or two.

Mike
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007 - 05:18:29 PM by MEK-Dangerfield »

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007 - 05:52:36 PM »

What about an SRT8 300C or a New Jeep? Ma & Pa have an SRT8 and it's awesome.
Gets a tonne of thumbs up, roomy and gets up and goes well too.

:2cents: :wave:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Ghost

• Resident
  • I miss my Barracuda :(
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007 - 06:29:58 PM »
Charger.  The Crossfire is a 2 seater, not what I'd want for daily status.

Offline Tropicalcats

• Resident
  • Don't Ever, Ever Give Up
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007 - 06:39:15 PM »
Crossfire would be a no for me . I had a 2 seater years ago as a daily drive and I would always b looking for more room to fit the daily things we live with.
1970 Challenger R/T 383  Matching#s JS23N0E under construction. It's Plum Crazy
SOLD

Offline inot2old

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007 - 07:30:35 PM »
I would rather have the Crossfire.  If I need to drive a bigger car, I would drive my wifes.  But everybodys situation is differant, if a 2 seater works for you, go for it.

You said daily driver, so I don't see where the Crossfire would be practical.  :screwy: You can't take a few friends out for lunch, or go shopping for more than a bag or two.

Mike

Mike, I thought you could get all of your friends on a unicycle.  lol   :poopoke:
'71 Cuda 

'70 Charger project
'05 Crossfire Roadster

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007 - 05:17:26 AM »
Not a big fan of the Crossfire styling and too small so I`d have to go for the Charger even though like most I hate a 4 dr being called a Charger.Maybe you could get some custom Coronet emblems made?  :thumbsup:  Why not wait and get a Challenger when and if they become affordable?  :horse:
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline MyMopar

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2007 - 07:36:53 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys.  I like to stay Mopar with all my cars, even though some other makes are nicer.

I like the 300C but it seems big and not what I want, I thought about the Jeep SRT, but again the performance aspect isn't the same and it is as big as the 300C.  I have other vehicles to use for family, so this would be strictly MY daily driver, I also have a Jeep Liberty, Jeep Wrangler and a company F-250 crew cab, so winter vehicles and moving people are not at a shortage.

I don't know, perhaps I'll wait for the Challenger to come down in price, but that won't be until 2010.  I did look at a real nice 72 Demon, all done just needs finishing touches.  EFI, OD trans and A/C is all I would need to do to the car and it could all be done for less than $18k (including car). 
My only concern with going this route is that it may make the Challenger less fun (if a 440 isn't fun?) or I may not be happy with the Demon when completed after a year or so. 
I hate change so maybe I'll stick with my 300M.  I'm just a mess when it comes to commitment  :roflsmiley:
1969 (OO===]|[===OO)
1997 (O|||||O) <---SOLD

Smoke tires, not drugs!

Offline King Mopar

• Look what Plymouth 's up to now...
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2007 - 08:37:04 AM »
i like the new style charger( i like the old ones better) but just think in around 5-7 maybe 8 years these things will be cheap and fast

my choice: 2006 Dodge charger daytona tor red
Yeah just saving up for a good ole' gasoline burning earth polluting Mopar. Yeah my tally is 1200 so far and im gettin a job soon!

Offline MOPAR FANATIC

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2007 - 09:20:16 AM »
I know, the whole 4 door thing for the Charger name is holding me back.  What other product does Mopar make that is quick?  Crossfire is the only other one.  :clueless: AHHHH,how about the viper.  :2thumbs:

I did just start looking at getting a 71-2 Dodge Demon 340, put EFI on the motor, swap the trans for an OD unit and add the Alterkation front end.  All this could be done for the same cost, maybe even less depending on the cost of the car.  Thing is I don't want to work anymore on a daily driver, so the car would have to be complete needing only minor finishing touches and the work I mentioned above, NO BODY WORK!
71 Challenger 340 a/t
2013 Plum Crazy Hemi R/T 6SPD

Offline MyMopar

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2007 - 09:42:13 AM »
Yeah the Viper.  Funny thing is at Carlisle there was a black Viper R/T10 roadster for sale, $30k w/15k on the odo.  I looked at it and my wife looked at it.  She said go ahead and buy it  :faint: .  I told her that I will call the number tomorrow if it is still there.  Well guess what, it was sold  :banghead:
On the way home from Carlisle she would say things like, boy this road sure woul dbe fun in a Viper, you woul dhave looked good in a Viper, I would have looked good in a Viper, we would be home now if we bought that Viper  :pullinghair:

Anyway, a Viper really wouldn't be a daily driver for me, but thanks for the thoughts.  I just checked on the 518 OD thread for some info, looks like the Demon may be the way to go, people don't care for the Crossfire style, I don't care that the Charger is 4 doors, the Jeep SRT's are over $34k still.
1969 (OO===]|[===OO)
1997 (O|||||O) <---SOLD

Smoke tires, not drugs!