Author Topic: Gas Tank Straps  (Read 2147 times)

Offline dawgs 73

Gas Tank Straps
« on: July 11, 2007 - 06:48:23 PM »
Does anyone know if the gas tank straps had rubber or some other kind of insulator between them and the tank? Oh, yeah, '73 Cuda..... Thanks in advance

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
Re: Gas Tank Straps
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007 - 07:57:42 PM »
I'm pretty sure they just fit tight up against the tank without any insulation between the two.  Granted, I'm going off just what my car had, but it seemed as though nothing was ever removed in the back prior to my acquisition of the car. :2thumbs:  I could see if the straps didn't fit tight to the tank there could be some problems with vibration causing wear, but as tight as mine were to the tank I wouldn't really give it a second thought. :cheers:

As I'm sure you know, there is a piece of insulation between the tank and the trunk pan. :thumbsup:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007 - 08:00:47 PM »
My '73 Challey had nothing between the strap & tank..but there is a pad between the tank & trunk.
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Tropicalcats

• Resident
  • Don't Ever, Ever Give Up
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007 - 08:20:19 PM »
My 70 had nothing between the straps and tank. Just the pad between the trunk and tank
1970 Challenger R/T 383  Matching#s JS23N0E under construction. It's Plum Crazy
SOLD

Offline Grec

• The '73 Chrysler should have made...
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007 - 08:37:03 PM »
Yep. Just metal to metal with the pad between the tank and frame.
1973 Challenger Rallye
- 440 Six Pack
- A833 4 Speed, 18 Spline
- FE5 Rallye Red on Black

Offline duodec

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007 - 10:40:12 PM »
But beware if a mechanic or previous owner ever pulled the tank... they might have lost the pad between the tank and trunk, and substituted a couple of shop rags.  Water absorbent shop rags.  At least I didn't live in a salt-spreader area, but the tank was pretty raggedy on top.

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007 - 11:07:28 PM »
My 70 had nothing between the straps and tank. Just the pad between the trunk and tank
:iagree:
Same thing on my 71 Challenger.  When I put the new tank back in, I just used a piece of tar paper between the tank and body.  Then I just made sure the straps were on tight.
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007 - 02:22:33 PM »
This car had a new tank put in recently. It has some sort of liquid gasket material inbetween the straps and tank. :dunno:
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007 - 02:38:17 PM »
My '73 Challey had nothing between the strap & tank..but there is a pad between the tank & trunk.

My '72 also like this. 

Although there is a little vibration from underneath the tank from the tank straps.  Becareful what you use as duodec was hitting on certain materials that can absorb moisture and thus prematurely rust the tank in spots.  Foam is tempting to use but will retain moisture.  Maybe that's why IMNCARN82 had liquid gasket there (I assume silicone?) to stop any vibration.
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Tropicalcats

• Resident
  • Don't Ever, Ever Give Up
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2007 - 05:22:01 AM »
Does anybody make a pad for between the tank and trunk that will not absorb moisture? Those original tar ones did not do the trick and is why alot of trunks rusted out.
1970 Challenger R/T 383  Matching#s JS23N0E under construction. It's Plum Crazy
SOLD

Offline dawgs 73

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2007 - 05:45:25 PM »
I have to ask................ is the deal with the tar paper absorbing water and causing rust what the real problem is, or is it that, since the tar paper is laying down on top of the gas tank, any moisture that ends up there can't evaporate and just sits there on top, causing the rust. The moisture doesn't have to be from water being splashed up there, it could just be from real high humidity (Missouri in July and August comes to mind here.) What does the pad / tar paper even do there anyway?
It seems to me that you could probably leave the tar paper off and may be better off. I'm not saying that I'm going to do that, but it just seems logical to me........ Opinions anyone else?

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2007 - 06:10:19 PM »
In my case the minor surface rust under the trunk where the tank pad is was no worse than anywhere else.  If you were putting your car into daily service this might be an issue but if your like most of us I think it's not worth much worry.  The pad is probably there for sound deadening as much as anything. While I could re-use the original or replace with an original type piece I am contemplating using closed cell foam(that does not absorb moisture).
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline LAA66

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2007 - 11:37:01 AM »
 Just removed my tank and no rust to be found.  :jumping: I had installed a piece of insulation many years ago when I had to patch the bottom side. I don't drive in the rain as a rule however, after reading this post the insulating material would seem to hold water. Contemplating using a rubber shower floor mat between the two when installing the new tank. :clueless:

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2007 - 11:43:05 AM »
May sound like I'm talking out of both sides of my mouth but the original type material bay be best as if it does get wet eventually it would dry out, where as rubber or foam that does not absorb moisture may also tend to trap any moisture that gets between the surfaces, think condensation....Proof be in the pudding so to speak.
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2007 - 09:50:06 AM »

..could alway try an asphalt shingle. This pad was a sound deadner as well as a tolerance take up device. You could leave it out without any ill effects.

The mounting bolt for these can also be a problem. These are available new from mopar, pn 4002006,tank-gas strap j-bolt all models,$24.20, or so.