Author Topic: Any pics of fire Extinguisher installs?  (Read 2833 times)

Offline HP2

• Resident
Re: Any pics of fire Extinguisher installs?
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2007 - 02:14:16 PM »
I've gotta say, the majority of car fires I have seen have been unfightable with a single, large, extinguisher. It usually takes several of them to put it down and usually will cost at least a 1/3 of the car. I can't see a smallish, couple pound unit doing much other than putting you at risk for bodily harm as you scramble around the car looking for hot spots or lifting up panels exposing the fire to more air. If your really worried about fire, an onboard system is the only fighting chance you have of saving a majority of the car, and even then you are going to loose something.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2007 - 02:49:15 PM »
Unfortunately holes were drilled by the original owner but mine is mounted in front of the console under the dash on the floor.  Not exactly acessible but it's there.  (It's the yellow thing under the dash.)

Don't mind the fuzzy dash.  (It's period correct though!  :roflsmiley: )

1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline JayBee

• Resident
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2007 - 05:09:13 PM »
Mine just rolls around on the rear passenger floor. Hopefully, it'll roll to me if there's a fire. Seriously, I'm looking at a custom bracket and use exsisting dash holes/screws.
John

1970 Barracuda convertible
2014 Toyota Avalon

Offline babyelephant

• Ol' Kozmic Blues again Mama
    • WPC Club of Norway
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2007 - 11:17:12 PM »
Mine just rolls around on the rear passenger floor. Hopefully, it'll roll to me if there's a fire. Seriously, I'm looking at a custom bracket and use exsisting dash holes/screws.

That's the same way I've had it for years. But be aware of the weight of this item in case of an collision. You don't wanna hit the backhead of you or your girlfriend with this one!
So finally I've done it like:
I've got mine mounted exactly where Goody has his.

Mike
JH23J0B
88 BMW 635 CSiA
87 Trans Am GTA
x RH23G8E

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2007 - 04:51:40 AM »
My old `76 Dodge van caught fire twice!The first time I had just pulled into an auto parts store when the lady parked next to me told me my van was on fire.I almost thought she was joking when I loked at the passenger side wheel well and saw fire.I calmly opened the side door,grabbed the extingiusher ,put it out and walked into the store.Turned out to be a split fuel line leaking onto the oil/sludge covered block.The second fire happened as I was going out for lunch from work,the van stalled pulling out onto the street and smoke started coming from under the dash.I hadn`t refilled the extingiusher so I had to run back into the body shop,grab an extingiusher and run back up the driveway and across the street.By the time I got there and put out the flames my main harness was toast!It was caused by a couple wires rubbing the metal edge of the dash and shorting out.Had to replace the whole hraness,big pain.Funnniest thing about that fire was a passeerby called the fire dept. and they showed up 15-20 minutes later and a lady firefighter was teaching some rookie and popped my hood and showed him the fire started under there!I just stood there and didn`t bother to tell her it started under the dash which was fairly obviuos as that`s where all the white exitngiusher material was.
Couple good pionts mentioned-yes a fire could start in the trunk area but could also start under the dash where it might keep you from getting to an extingiusher mounted there.
If the fire gets too big or has lots fuel to burn(gas) a small extingiusher porbably won`t be enough anyway.From the time my van stalled to the time I put it out was less than a minute and there were full flames coming out from the dash.If I had been another coulpe blocks down the road it would have been a big barbeque by the time I got back to it.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline RDF

• The pain that greets me is the stick that beats me
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2007 - 04:59:32 AM »
I have never heard in my life of a car catching fire while driving, what are you running, 3000+ Horsepower????????

That fire extinguisher definatelly makes NO SENSE at all to me.  :clueless:

Don't think you'll ever need one?  :screwy:

The wiring harnesses in 90% of these cars are original.  Back then, they didn't have the proper materials to make the correct connectors for the fuseboxes and bulkhead connectors so the current running through them was hotter than supposed to be.  That's why when you strip down these cars and look at the wires, there's calcium build-up (looks greenish-blue on the copper) from the years of too much current passing through them, building up heat, creating moisture.

Here's another example...I had my car for about 1 week and didn't know there was a small leak on the back of the valve cover.  I sat in idle in a drive though for about 20+minutes, my car was ready to overheat.....well when I finally got it on the road and opened it up a little to cool the motor, smoke was pouring out of my engine compartment like there was a major fire.  I pulled over and things settled down, but what happened was the oil had pooled and then spilled all at once on the headers, causing the smoke and maybe a fire if I wasn't lucky enough.

Even with newer parts, my neighbor has a 68 Dart with a new 440 in it and while cruising home from a car show, he lost his brakes.  Thank God for being on the highway, but as he rolled to a stop, he noticed flames coming out of the hood.....he had blown a brake line up front and fluid had caught fire from the headers.  If he didn't have his fire extinguisher, that car would have been history.

End result, unless you biuld your car from the ground up with new wiring and such, there's a good chance something will go wrong with 30+ year old parts.  Sound like overkill I know, but for the 30+ bucks it is to have one in your car, it could save your car, even your own life.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007 - 05:02:32 AM by RDF »
Bob

1973 'Cuda

If we never drown we'll never know how well it tastes....So tell me how it tastes and I'll know just how well you drowned.

My build:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=45749.0

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2007 - 05:36:20 AM »
I know it wouldn't be the fastest access, but the way I look at it, it's better than what I've had for the last 10 years, nothing.

(How do you make those quote things in square of certain passages somebody wrote?)

If you have not had a fire in last 10 years... the answer is... you don't need 1.

I have never heard in my life of a car catching fire while driving, what are you running, 3000+ Horsepower????????

That fire extinguisher definatelly makes NO SENSE at all to me.  :clueless:

You must live under a rock as car fires happen all the time,read mine and other posts!  :screwy:

Use the quote button in the upper right of the post.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2007 - 06:02:21 AM »
I would think if you removed the console you could fabricate some sort of bracket to utilize existing holes.  Add length to the Fire extinguisher bracket to extend out past the console and remount the console.

BTW my 66 Charger 440 caught fire in my driveway!  Don't ever use a Glass fuel filter :22yikes:.  Especially on a BB cause when it breaks it is right near the distributor....  Luckily I had washed the car before I went out for a ride and the bucket was still there.  The water didn't put out the fire but the big cloth wash mitt did.  I put it on and smothered it.  NEVER use a glass filter.

Tom :bigsmile:
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2007 - 06:29:21 AM »
I would think if you removed the console you could fabricate some sort of bracket to utilize existing holes.  Add length to the Fire extinguisher bracket to extend out past the console and remount the console.

Thanks for all the replies.  The reason I started thinking about needing it is I've recently done some wiring upgrades.  It's not my work I'm worried about, but as others have mentioned, it opened my eyes to how inadequate the original wiring is.  I like the idea of fabbing a bracket using existing console brackets.  I'm not ruling out trunk option, I'm thinking about postioning it where original jack would sit on left side. 

I know car fires are not common, but when they do occur they usually total the car.  I'll never forget watching a 69 Cougar burn as the owner watch helplessly.  By the time fire truck got there, 15-20min, there was really nothing worth saving. 
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007 - 06:34:48 AM by Katfish »

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2007 - 10:08:21 AM »
Fires do happen.  :grinyes:

When I was 17 I put in a set of 55w driving lights on my 5th Ave.  The kit did not come with a relay so I think the way I wired it I had full battery voltage going right to the switch under the dash under like 20 feet or so of wire, which had high resistance, therefore heat. 

Anyhows, as I was parking my car going into work, just as I was closing the door I noticed a flame coming from the driving light switch which I was fortunate to be able to blow out.  Had I not caught that little flame my car would've been ashes when I got out of work.
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline RDF

• The pain that greets me is the stick that beats me
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2007 - 06:02:35 PM »
I c, now it all makes sense.

I am rebuilding my car ground up, so Im getting new wiring and everything... thats probbably where I did not realise a car that old original would catch fire... I had a 72 valiant charger, never had a problem with that and I had it for years, it was original.

Neways, cheers n thanks

:cheers:  :cheers:  :2thumbs:
Bob

1973 'Cuda

If we never drown we'll never know how well it tastes....So tell me how it tastes and I'll know just how well you drowned.

My build:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=45749.0

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2007 - 08:21:41 PM »

I don't think I need one but I do think a "little" fire extinguisher is good and it will put out an amazing amount given it's size. You don't stand around scratching your arse waiting for the fire to get out of control, if you can get in earlyish and use the "little" extinguisher you can kill it early. Also, what if you're driving or stuck in traffic and some poor bugger next to you has a little fire. Always good to have I say not just for my sake but for others.

Mine is in the trunk. I have a electric trunk release under the dash, click, pop and grab.  :2cents:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2007 - 08:33:20 PM »
All good stuff guys.  I've always thought about it, but this makes me want one more.  Got the gears turnin.   :)

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2007 - 05:23:03 PM »
Well, I mounted the extinguisher on a rod where the jack would go.  It's a little crude at the moment but has potential.  Original jack location worked perfectly, provides a nice horizontal path.  1st pass pic

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2007 - 06:14:54 PM »
Thats a good idea.  Would it mount right to the jack as well?  Just wondering if the clamp would be long enough?

Tom :dunno:
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear