Author Topic: Which of these Challenger's is in the best shape/condition?  (Read 7778 times)

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
Re: Which of these Challenger's is in the best shape/condition?
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2007 - 06:55:53 AM »
This is the kind of car where if you are really interested you would have to go see it in person.  It does have a replaced trunk floor.  It looks like an 80's restoration.  Back then parts were cut from several cars to make 1 car.  I used to sometimes use up to 3 quarter panels to make 1.  Why hasn't it had attention to little things; like missing screws?  Maybe the owner doesn't know how to use a screwdriver; maybe there is rust behind the panel and a screw won't work; maybe nothing is wrong and the owner just didn't think it was important.  As I said before; narrow the search to 2 or 3 cars and then see them in person before buying. 
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline 70challrtse

« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2007 - 10:15:03 AM »
This is the kind of car where if you are really interested you would have to go see it in person.  It does have a replaced trunk floor.  It looks like an 80's restoration.  Back then parts were cut from several cars to make 1 car.  I used to sometimes use up to 3 quarter panels to make 1.  Why hasn't it had attention to little things; like missing screws?  Maybe the owner doesn't know how to use a screwdriver; maybe there is rust behind the panel and a screw won't work; maybe nothing is wrong and the owner just didn't think it was important.  As I said before; narrow the search to 2 or 3 cars and then see them in person before buying. 
:iagree:Good advice.

Offline uthustler

« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2007 - 02:09:09 PM »
http://www.specialtysales.com/inventory_detailed.php?id=0655&nhs=0&make=&model=&ext_color=&stockno=&eyear=2007&syear=1900&eprice=&sprice=&keywords=&location=&type=used&specials=&rtd=250&solds=&replica=&ob=yr&desc=&t=1970+Plymouth+Cuda

this one is a block from where I work. It's bubbling everywhere under the paint...something you don't see around where I live very often.

thank you for the input, that takes that one off the list.

Offline uthustler

« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2007 - 02:16:41 PM »
wow, well that took care of those 7 cars, time to find new cars :roflsmiley:

Offline uthustler

« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2007 - 02:18:21 PM »
pic 1.
1. I may be totally off on this one but does that look like a dash cap to anyone else?

pic 2.
1. what the heck is that smack in the middle of the lower part of the quarter? reflection?
2. tire pressure sticker missing (not a big deal)

pic 3.
1. lowest screw on outer edge of door panel missing (what else is missing?)
2. why is the reflector hanging loose?
3. were the door hinges rebuilt? did they need to be? how well to the doors close? is the glass scratched? how well do the windows roll up & down?

pic 4.
1. Who did the wiring on the alpine stero system? Do they know what the heck they are doing when it comes to wiring? Do they have the original stereo even if it doesn't work?
2. do all the gauges really worklike they claim?
3. why the heck is the tach at 1800 rpm? (was the car running, or is it broke?)

pic 5.
1. painted over rust pitting on the trunk floor (just right of the lower black body plug.
2. painted trunk spring guide. (did they take anything apart to paint it well, or did they just shoot everything?)
3. poorly redone trunk extension.

pic 6.
1. visible rust pitting all over lower trunk area
2. rust transfer on folded back floor mat
3. patched wiring clip visible
4. painted trunk spring guide. (other one)
5. where is the jack?
6. poorly redone trunk extension.

pic 7.
1. I'll just leave it at "Heavily rusted" tag maybe a sign of "heavily rusted" car.

general items
rear valence is poorly fit
trunk gaps are bad

pics missing
1. corners of rear window
2. firewall and cowl area
3. entire underside of vehicle
there is not one picture or mention of the suspension
how thick is the mud on the car?
what kind of shape are the floorpans in?

for $43,000 there seem to be ALOT of unknowns, half finished items & poorly installed & incorrectly parts. but hey, its your 43Gs...

I'm just a novice, any of you "old farts" :biggrin: want to take a swing at this car & whats missing?

so would you even consider any of those cars as potential buys? or nix them all?

Offline uthustler

« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2007 - 02:22:58 PM »
ya know, the more i see out there, the more i come back to C-C member cars for sale. Looking at two right now, member's cars, and think I may just stay with those.

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2007 - 02:30:04 PM »
so would you even consider any of those cars as potential buys? or nix them all?
 :iagree: Just because we found things wrong with them does not mean they are not decent cars.  If you find a car we can't find anything wrong with, it should not be driven.  It is no longer an automobile.  It has become a work of art.  EVERY car has flaws.  You just need to figure out what you can live with.  I have done concourse restorations and will not own one.  They can't be driven or they are ruined.  To me that is not any fun.  Others enjoy a concourse car and I respect that. Now that you have picked everyone's brain what do you want? What type of driver?
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline uthustler

« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2007 - 02:36:40 PM »
a car that I can put a 5 speed into, high impact color, and a 572 or 528 crate hemi, but that would be way down the road. I want a car that I can take to local shows/cruise ins, that gets alot of attention, and that you wont see many like it. (ie- why i was looking at that panther pink T/A clone) And ill drive it to work atleast once a week. If a challenger, id prefer R/T, but doesnt have to be necessarily. Just a really nice car, that turns heads, gets the thumbs up, in a high impact color that I can put a 5 speed into and not afraid to drive 400 miles on a weekend, or take to the strip. If i could have my pick of any car, any combo, it would be one of these-

big block, shaker hood, manual tranny

but i understand to get that, i may have to get a car, then change it somewhat.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007 - 02:40:48 PM by uthustler »

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2007 - 02:50:36 PM »

Offline FY1 RT SE

« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2007 - 02:51:28 PM »
If you are going to modify it, just get a real clean rust free "H" car for 1/4 of the price and go from there.  The cars are basically the same except for some dress up items and a letter or two in the VIN.

Offline uthustler

« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2007 - 02:55:00 PM »
My buddy Gary has this one for sale.  He is the most honest person I know.  It is a good car.  It turns heads.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=001&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=110149008549&rd=1,1

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=34775.0

yea, great looking car, just not into pro street at all.

Offline uthustler

« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2007 - 02:57:36 PM »
If you are going to modify it, just get a real clean rust free "H" car for 1/4 of the price and go from there.  The cars are basically the same except for some dress up items and a letter or two in the VIN.

thanks, and to teach me something, what does H mean? I was seriously considering these lesser priced cars, how do you think they would be as donor cars to start off?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-BARRACUDA-SLANT-SIX-THREE-SPEED-ON-THE-FLOOR_W0QQitemZ170130908214QQihZ007QQcategoryZ6409QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-Barracuda-With-426-hemi-Engine-Cuda-Clone_W0QQitemZ250142167138QQihZ015QQcategoryZ6409QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Offline FY1 RT SE

« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2007 - 03:17:16 PM »
thanks, and to teach me something, what does H mean? I was seriously considering these lesser priced cars, how do you think they would be as donor cars to start off?

First two letters of the VIN "JH" & "BH" says the cars are base Challenger and Barracuda hardtops.  "JS" and "BS" are Challenger R/T's and "Cuda's.  I will take a look later at the cars if no one does before I get back to them.  Any 340 cars for sale?

Offline uthustler

« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2007 - 03:24:55 PM »
First two letters of the VIN "JH" & "BH" says the cars are base Challenger and Barracuda hardtops.  "JS" and "BS" are Challenger R/T's and "Cuda's.  I will take a look later at the cars if no one does before I get back to them.  Any 340 cars for sale?

I havent found any. I do know of one 340 Challenger, 100% restored, looks fantastic for $35k, auto with the original 340. Thats the only one ive found.

Offline uthustler

« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2007 - 07:04:48 PM »
pic 1.
1. I may be totally off on this one but does that look like a dash cap to anyone else?

pic 2.
1. what the heck is that smack in the middle of the lower part of the quarter? reflection?
2. tire pressure sticker missing (not a big deal)

pic 3.
1. lowest screw on outer edge of door panel missing (what else is missing?)
2. why is the reflector hanging loose?
3. were the door hinges rebuilt? did they need to be? how well to the doors close? is the glass scratched? how well do the windows roll up & down?

pic 4.
1. Who did the wiring on the alpine stero system? Do they know what the heck they are doing when it comes to wiring? Do they have the original stereo even if it doesn't work?
2. do all the gauges really worklike they claim?
3. why the heck is the tach at 1800 rpm? (was the car running, or is it broke?)

pic 5.
1. painted over rust pitting on the trunk floor (just right of the lower black body plug.
2. painted trunk spring guide. (did they take anything apart to paint it well, or did they just shoot everything?)
3. poorly redone trunk extension.

pic 6.
1. visible rust pitting all over lower trunk area
2. rust transfer on folded back floor mat
3. patched wiring clip visible
4. painted trunk spring guide. (other one)
5. where is the jack?
6. poorly redone trunk extension.

pic 7.
1. I'll just leave it at "Heavily rusted" tag maybe a sign of "heavily rusted" car.

general items
rear valence is poorly fit
trunk gaps are bad

pics missing
1. corners of rear window
2. firewall and cowl area
3. entire underside of vehicle
there is not one picture or mention of the suspension
how thick is the mud on the car?
what kind of shape are the floorpans in?

for $43,000 there seem to be ALOT of unknowns, half finished items & poorly installed & incorrectly parts. but hey, its your 43Gs...

I'm just a novice, any of you "old farts" :biggrin: want to take a swing at this car & whats missing?

Pic 3 owner said, "there is no screws missing anywhere the reflectors are not loose the windshield has a mild wiper scratch in the original glass!!"