Author Topic: Need some help, uncharted territory  (Read 5332 times)

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
Need some help, uncharted territory
« on: July 14, 2007 - 08:15:32 PM »
I have the funds now, he he he.  I will be getting a 5.7 hemi shortly.  The plan is to put a 5 spd overdrive behind it.  (manual)

What I need to know is:

1.  Who makes a clutch (if anyone) to bolt on the flywheel?

2.  Does the crank need to be drilled on the end?

3.  EFI, what type of a fuel pump do I need?  Something I can pick up at Summit or Jegs?  It goes on the tank, right?  Do I need a return line? 

I need to call Street and Performance to pick their brain.  I called them once, and the guy that I talked to wasnt too interested in selling me their stand-alone harness.  Its hard for a guy like me who has absolutely no idea on what some of this stuff is to figure it out without any help.  But, I will not pay someone to do something that I can learn about and do myself. 

Sorry for all the questions, I know I have a ton more questions, I just cant remember right now.  I should write them down. I dont want to mess anything up.    Mistakes can be expensive when working with this stuff, and extra expense is definitely something I dont need.   :icon16:

« Last Edit: July 14, 2007 - 08:18:12 PM by 71bigblock »

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Need some help, uncharted territory
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007 - 09:03:34 AM »
not sure on the flywheel at this point , the dakota pilot brg should work & you may need to deepen the hole in the rear of the crank
 the fuel pump will need to be a 45+ psi unit , Performance world has stand alone electric pumps that can be attached to the frame rail at 255 lt / qts per hour rating

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007 - 12:17:57 PM »
Go to Auto Zone and get a fuel pump for a Ford Econoline Van.  They are lifetime guaranteed and you can return it in 5 years for a full refund.  They mount to the frame under the driver's seat. My Fuel pump is mounted next to my right rear tire, along the stock fuel lines. You need to run a new 3/8 pickup, pickup, pickup filter, fuel pump pre-filter, Fuel pump, Fuel pump post filter, then use your old fuel line as a return line back to the tank.  The filler neck or the sending unit plate has to include the return line nipple to attach to.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007 - 08:29:29 PM »
Thanks guys.   :2thumbs:

Shelbydogg, this is going in my '67 pickup, so I would need to run a return line too.  How big for return?  3/8?  5/16?  Is there a specific place the pump needs to be?  I'd like it near the tank so everything is right there.   :2thumbs:

Thanks for the replies guys, any more advice is surely welcome.   :grinyes:

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007 - 08:35:56 PM »
Mount it as close to the tank as possible below the fuel level. THe 5.7 is a small block so 3/8" supply and a 5/16 return is enough.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

Offline dtedler

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007 - 11:07:29 AM »
Sounds like you have a nice little project going on.  Classic Mopar 5 Speed has a transmission kit with bell housing for the new HEMI, which uses the Tremec TKO transmission.  The flywheel you need for the new HEMI is available from Mopar Performance (P5153592) MSRP is $349.00 but I'm sure it can be purchased cheaper than that from your local dealer or one of the many Mopar Performance dealers that sponser the website.  The roller pilot will be determined on the brand and type of transmission that you install.  By the way, the HEMI cranks are drilled, basicially a half round detent on the end of the crank.  The TKO works without any modifications to the end of the crank.

Keep us posted!

Tony

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007 - 08:05:16 AM »
Shelbydogg, Tony, thanks a bunch. 

I believe the flywheel would come with the hemi I'm looking at, would this be the same one you mentioned?  That tranny sounds   :money:   I want just a plain 5 spd out of a truck.  I would think I could make that work somehow?

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007 - 08:17:25 AM »
I have a friend, Bill, That has a 5.7 Hemi in a '71 Challenger called CAPT AMERICA.  He's been on the Power Tour and Carlisle. He'll be meeting up with us at the Nationals.   He has the complete setup out of a truck. Air cleaner to tailshaft. He has the 5-speed Auto that takes off like a bat out of he11.  I have his number if interested. I think he got his tranny controller from Mopar Performance.

Rob
Rob

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007 - 08:27:21 AM »
Sorry Rob, I should have said 5 spd manual.  I can get a 5.7 hemi harness for a manual transmission from Street and Performance.  I have to call them this week sometime.  That way I dont have to put in a cooler, etc.  That and, my truck is already set up for a manual (It was one). 

Offline dtedler

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007 - 12:30:58 PM »
Did they put a 5 speed behind the new 5.7 in the trucks?  I didn't think it was an option?  I was under the assumption that the HEMI's where all automatics. 

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007 - 01:00:46 PM »
You are correct, they are all autos.  But I want a stick, I'm sure it can be done.  I just need to know what I need to do!   :clueless: :1zhelp:

Offline dtedler

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007 - 09:14:58 AM »
Here is what you have to do -

Select a Transmission first -
Bell Housing - Does it fit the new HEMI!
Pilot Bearing - Determined by transmission chosen - Custom machined adapter
Clutch Disc -
Pressure Plate -
Throw Out Bearing and Method of acutating the throw out bearing - Mechanical or Hydraulic
Shifter
Cross member
Floor pan mods - if any
Speedo cable or Vehicle speed sensor (Electronic)
Isolation mount
Drive Shaft

That's about it.

Tony

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2007 - 06:34:43 PM »
Ok, more questions.  This is the type of tranny I want:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-99-Dodge-Dakota-Manual-Transmission-5-Speed-3238_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33733QQihZ011QQitemZ320133446982QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

So..., where the shaft goes into the end of the crank, into the pilot bearing, on that tranny doesnt look very long.  Would I need to have a hole drilled in the crank, even when it looks that short?  Im pretty sure too that the 3.9L v6's have the same bellhousing pattern as the smallblocks. 

Also, I bought my Hemi yesteday, brought it home, but didnt get a flywheel.   :stomp:  My question is, does anyone make a pressure plate to fit the hemi flywheel, or is it just a small block is a small block type of thing? 

Sorry for all the questions, I am learning, slowly.   :grinyes:

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2007 - 09:57:40 PM »
Check your local Pick-N-Pull,  I can get complete transmissions for $59.95 and sometimes the clutch and flywheel come with it.   That's how much I paid for my 518 and I recently saw a complete 5 speed in a 2wd Dakota that I passed on.  The only thing somebody took off of it was the clutch's slave cylinder. Well worth the drive to a different city, if you don't have a Picknpull. I always end up buying something.
Rob

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2007 - 10:38:15 PM »
I have not used them yet but I notice that both Advance & Auto Zone are offering used items thru the local stores....actually i did try to get a wheel at Advance & the rocket scientist behind the counter could not find anything...I'm sure the price they get is not going the be the best but if you don't have friendly local salvage yards it might be worth a try. 
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!